Vanishing pomegranates

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Vanishing pomegranates

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Pomegranates (grenades in French) have always been widely avaiable in these parts around this time of year. Indeed I have seen trees in other people's gardens,, though they mostly come from Spain.

Thsi year I can't find them anywhere. We asked in the market and pascal told us that they are now so fashionable in Northern Europ that they all disappear there, seeded and sold in packets in the chiller sections of posh shops, or juiced :o :o

Yesterday I saw some in the supermarket. They were €2.10 and FROM CHILE. Much as i wanted one I just refused to spend my money on such madness. I'll try on Saturday in the North African section of the market.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Vanishing pomegranates

Postby earthmaiden » December 7th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Goodness, how sad. It is true that they've become a foodie item with seeds sold separately but there should be some left for you!

We seem to be getting more and more unseasonal things from South America ... using air freight a lot of the time too :(
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 7th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Gosh they are plentuful here. delightful at christmas
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 7th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Thsi year I can't find them anywhere. We asked in the market and pascal told us that they are now so fashionable in Northern Europ that they all disappear there, seeded and sold in packets in the chiller sections of posh shops, or juiced :o :o

Yesterday I saw some in the supermarket. They were €2.10 and FROM CHILE. Much as i wanted one I just refused to spend my money on such madness. I'll try on Saturday in the North African section of the market

I think Pascal's view is a half truth
While we are undoubtedly buying and eating more in N Europe, and this will have changed the price and decreased availability, the little packets of pre-prepared are by no means universal or particularly common, even here in hipster central, though may be de rigueur for kitchen suppers in the shires :D Juice and molasses are very popular though I'm not sure they are made from Spanish fruit, the molasses I buy is Iranian or Lebanese

I saw huge piles of inexpensive poms in Turkish Food Centre this week, both sweet (the big red ones) and sour (smaller, yellower), I think actually Turkish but I'll check next time

A lot of juice is made from Afghan poms, there are projects to wean subsistence farms onto pom production instead of opium poppies

Blame Nigella, Jamie and Sabrina!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Costco has loads of pomegranates.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » December 7th, 2017, 4:13 pm

We have three pomegranate trees so tend to have pomegranate seeds on most things. My attempts at pomegranate molasses was unsuccessful, probably the wrong variety.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 6:17 pm

The Asian stores in my street here in Luton sell piles of them. I am not sure of their origins as fruit and veg are rarely labelled on these grocery store frontages. I will be poking my nose in on the indoor market tomorrow before my pilgrimage to the JC so will have a look and let you know.

Funny, I know these fruits are very popular but I am never tempted to buy them although my youngest Nephew adores them and he's a fussy so-and-so.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 7th, 2017, 10:14 pm

They have them on both stalls on Leather Lane market.
My mother remembers eating the seeds with a pin as a child. Must have been pre war?
The ones you get every salad on offer, it seems, in Mitchel and Butler type pubs are not, I suspect, terribly ripe. This did put me off them. Plus fiddly things.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 8th, 2017, 1:37 am

When you get your hands on some try this recipe. My nephews love it

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/node/5487906/bbcgf_pdf
Last edited by Catherine on December 8th, 2017, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 8th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I love 'em, OH can't take them so only buy occasionally. Not fiddly, bash 'em with a rolling pin, cut in half, turn inside out and voila.

Our Waitrose does them most weeks and the little (pricey) packs of about 100g. Madness!
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 8th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Typical that there were no pomegranates on the market today. I will ask in my local store when I walk past it tomorrow.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 9th, 2017, 3:39 pm

The ones in my street are labelled as Spanish. Four for £1.25.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 10th, 2017, 4:47 pm

I eventually found some in the depths of the market yesterday - very cheap!

I used some today to decorate the top of my trifle and they looked and tasted stunning. However even theey were saying there is little call in france for them but Northern Europ is going wild for them. Bizarre or what?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2017, 5:04 pm

It will wash back in your direction, as long as Nigel, Nigella, Sabrina and Jamie are keen their EU counterparts will pick up on it too
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen