Dried packet soups

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Dried packet soups

Postby Zosherooney » December 17th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Where have all the choice gone to ? There used to be loads of choice.........I am not talking your cup o soup just packets of 4 ish bowls of dried ingredients. Not interested in tins or 'cubes' of 'wet' soup just the dried packets you kept as a stand by or in an emergency. I was today in 3 different S'markets and the voice was abysmal potato and leek and Knorr chicken and some veg concoction. I can remember being able to buy cream of mushroom, tomato, chicken, and some exotic ones of recent date. Suddenly they have all gone...... ?

What is going on ????? I only seem to find them abroad.... :(
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Dried packet soups

Postby Ratatouille » December 18th, 2017, 1:36 pm

There are indeed a lot in our local supermarket but I have never bought any having examined the contents on the label once. If you are desperate I'll send you some after Christmas.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 18th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Very kind offer of you Rats. We are probably going to take a quick 4 days over to the French side in the early new year so will stock (geddit, I make a lot!) up whilst there. They do a nice cream of tomato in the 'Robin' supermarche in Dunkirk I recall.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Kacey » December 18th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Years ago Knorr used to do a really good French Onion packet soup that I'd buy when we were in Spain (the UK one was nowhere near as good)
Kacey
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 18th, 2017, 10:08 pm

My mum used to get a Knorr watercress one from the cash and carry which I quite liked though no substitute for the real thing. I think you could only get it in catering size tubs. My sister makes the best watercress soup. I do quite like the Florida spring vegetable one especially when not feeling well You can still get the usual suspect even Knorr ones or supermarket own brand.. Generally chicken noodle, oxtail, minestrone, chicken, vegetable
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » December 18th, 2017, 10:45 pm

i didn't realise that they were still sold. i haven't, to my knowledge, had a packet soup since 'leaving home' - other than cup-a-soup. they were 'maggi' ones bought from the 'home and colonial' supermarket. i've noticed maggi products in the world food aisle at tesco and in the local eastern european supermarket. have you tried looking there?
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 18th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Yes Scully, I do venture down the 'World Food' aisle when in the larger s'markets and have in the past found some dried soup packets, but they have truly diminished over the last few years, I would like to know the reason for their demise. There must be some money based reason for them disappearing. I have also in the past found that s'market own brand was vastly less than the Knorr or Maggi brands..... I tend to make up the dried soup with my HM stock which is quick and more tasty than just water. Just something my Mum used to do....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 19th, 2017, 9:03 am

I haven't even thought about packet soups since the '70's. I think that these days with fresh soups, a large variety of tinned soups and almost instant soup makers available that people go for them instead. That said, they were sometimes good for adding to casseroles etc. We used to enjoy Knorr Chicken Noodle but I'm not sure we would now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » December 19th, 2017, 11:39 am

we had them because my mother, a true cordon noir chef, was rubbish at making real soup.
i, too remember the chicken noodle one. i make a version of it still - but not from a powder packet.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 19th, 2017, 2:03 pm

I actually had trouble finding onion soup mix when I wanted to make an onion dip from it a while back

"Cock Soup" seems to be almost the only one on sale round here, I haven't even noticed the kosher ones for a while but might be worth trying a Polish / East European shop, I think I have seen some there
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 19th, 2017, 3:02 pm

They are useful if you are camping
Catherine
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 19th, 2017, 4:57 pm

I've given up trying to find "French Onion" locally - I used to add it mince dishes but it's least a couple of years since I've seen any.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 19th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 19th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Sue I do have a couple of packs of the Ram goat soup powder but every time I look at it I get scared :scared: :scared: :scared: I think I bought mine abroad somewhere.....?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 19th, 2017, 8:12 pm

My sister bought the cock soup, mainly because it amused her
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 19th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Sue I do have a couple of packs of the Ram goat soup powder but every time I look at it I get scared :scared: :scared: :scared: I think I bought mine abroad somewhere.....?

Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall made mannish water in one of his programmes. Looked really interesting
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » December 19th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Catherine wrote:My sister bought the cock soup, mainly because it amused her

Let's hope her beloved has been good this year. Not something you'd want in your Christmas stocking. 8-)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » December 19th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Luca ! :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 19th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Luca wrote:Let's hope her beloved has been good this year. Not something you'd want in your Christmas stocking.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 20th, 2017, 5:32 am

Catherine wrote:My sister bought the cock soup, mainly because it amused her

I bought a packet of Cock soup once and left it on a work colleague's desk and left her guessing where it had come from all day.

Sorry to say I do not have a sensible comment to make on packet soups. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cooksalot » December 20th, 2017, 8:58 am

I really love Telma instant chicken soup mix. A friend brought it back from Israel and I liked it so much I bought some from Amazon and it came all the way from South Africa! I tried to find a UK stockist online but to no avail. It’s possible a (not online) kosher shop here might stock it? It’s excellent.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 20th, 2017, 10:40 am

Telma used to be almost the default here (Stamford Hill area) but I haven't seen the soups and stock cubes for a while, I'll check in Morrison's kosher foods aisle

The Grace Jamaican soups on the other hand are easy to find
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » December 20th, 2017, 10:44 am

StokeySue wrote: I'll check in Morrison's kosher foods aisle

Thanks Sue!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 20th, 2017, 11:23 am

Just had a look in W'rose .... the usual Knorr Chicken & Leek, mushroom, asparagus, chicken noodle sort of selection ... I think there was more than that but I've queued in the Post Office since then :?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 20th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I had a look at Knorr Creamed mushroom soup . Hydrogenated palm oil is listed as an ingredient which rather puts me off.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 20th, 2017, 11:50 pm

StokeySue wrote:Telma used to be almost the default here (Stamford Hill area) but I haven't seen the soups and stock cubes for a while, I'll check in Morrison's kosher foods aisle

All the supermarkets sell the chicken ones at about 50p for three cubes
Last edited by Catherine on December 21st, 2017, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 20th, 2017, 11:57 pm

StokeySue wrote:Telma used to be almost the default here (Stamford Hill area) but I haven't seen the soups and stock cubes for a while

I am sure that there is plenty in the John Barnes Waitrose. I will try to remember to have look tomorrow.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 21st, 2017, 12:22 am

Well, John Barnes would have to, knowing their catchment area!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 22nd, 2017, 7:50 pm

Catherine wrote:All the supermarkets sell the chicken ones at about 50p for three cubes

Well Morrison's in Stamford Hill don't, despite being in a major Jewish enclave.
No Telma anything, the default Israeli brand is now Osem which is a trend I've noticed
In the kosher aisle they have a load of Osem and Knorr instant soups, and only Osem Chicken flavour noodle soup in the dried soup packets.
They also have 400 g plastic jars of Osem Chicken Flavour or Mushroom soup powder at £2.95

The Chicken Flavour soup is marked "suitable for vegetarians" :o :o (and can therefore be used in a kosher dairy meal)

The non-kosher soup aisle had two Knorr soups, Minestrone and Thick Vegetable
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen