Chick peas - soaking and using

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Chick peas - soaking and using

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 21st, 2017, 8:04 am

I adore the humble chick pea and recently bought a packet of dried for the first time. A handful are now soaking in a jug of cold water to be cooked tonight.

I haven't done dried pulses much before now. I can follow the packet instructions of course. I am wondering though would it have been easier/ more economical to have bought tinned.

What are your thoughts and also recipes! I have plenty of garlic and limes and paprika so hummus could be on the cards. Maybe in a chilli in place of kidney beans?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Chick peas - soaking and using

Postby Busybee » December 21st, 2017, 8:40 am

Much cheaper to use dried Tezza, just takes a bit of pre planning to get the soaking done.

I put them in chilli and all sorts of casserole/ stew dishes. When I wasn’t very well off financially I used them as a bit of filler to make the mince go further, in fact I still put lentils into most mince dishes..........whilst I’m a million miles from being vegetarian I have made an effort to eat less meat.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » December 21st, 2017, 9:03 am

Uncooked, soaked chickpeas are a necessity if you want to make falafel - wonderful food.
Other things I use them in is spicy Moroccan soup, a tagline dish, chana masala.
They are always in our kitchen - as are tinned.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 21st, 2017, 1:56 pm

Lots of chick peas and chick pea flour used in Provencal cooking. A salad using chick peas is traditionally served on Good Friday and pois chichade which is a spread/dip which is made with a puree with lots of good olive oil and garlic served drizzled with even more Oil and garnished with toasted sesame seeds. I could happily eat a ton of it.

I have recipes if you need them. Here they rinse them in hot water first then soak in cold water overnight Our hens love cooked chickpeas - well they would woulldn't they?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 21st, 2017, 2:04 pm

On practicality
I soak and cook when I want a lot, or as scully says for things like falafel, for which cooked won't do
But just to make a meal for me, a can is convenient, and when you take the cost of fuel into account, probably in no way extravagant
I keep the little cans of d'aucy for instant hummus (or a single salad)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » December 21st, 2017, 3:13 pm

I soak and cook the whole packet at once, then open freeze or freeze in portions. It's more economical and convenient.

After the inital boil I either put them in the slow cooker, or a casserole dish in the oven (when I'm cooking something else) or just boil for about 30 mins, then turn off and they cook in teh residual heat of teh water. You could also probably do a hay box by wrapping some old towels or blankets round the pot and slow cook them that way (after boiling).
Hope
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 21st, 2017, 6:03 pm

I have a tin and dried, one for emergencies when I am unorganised and much more economical the dried sort and more tasty.

I am sure my hens would like them too if I gave them the chance.....! I love them with chicken and chorizo and red peppers - lush
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 21st, 2017, 8:42 pm

Why is a chickpea humble?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 21st, 2017, 11:12 pm

I consider the chickpea hearty and wholesome..... :chops: I think they go back sometime.....Talk about versatile..... :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 22nd, 2017, 3:23 am

Because it always touches it's hat when it passes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 22nd, 2017, 3:34 am

Chickpeas? I usually soak them overnight.It's easier.
Then, first thing in the morning, I (1) separate those I'm going to use for falafel and (2) boil those I'm going to use for other things.
Whilst making the tea, having a shower, serving the dog, etc. :D :D
Then you can use them for a Chole ( like a dal, but with whole chickpeas), for a salad, in a Moussaka as a sub for minced meat, in Trinidad Doubles ( like a sandwich), in a veggie chili.... or you can throw them at the squirrels so they don't eat the bird food.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 22nd, 2017, 7:51 am

Nice to see you posting Clive!

I have just drained my soaked and well and truly boiled chick peas. I was tempted to nibble one on the way out of the kitchen but burnt my fingers on the little bugger so dropped the lucky escapee back into the colander.

I now have the pleasure of deciding what to do with them.

It would be very practical and economical to do a whole bag in future, once I have got my head round what to do with them.

In addition to your ideas here I might Google chick pea burgers. Yum!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 22nd, 2017, 8:51 am

karadekoolaid wrote:

Because it always touches it's hat when it passes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice to see you kk. How are things in Venezuela?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 22nd, 2017, 9:09 am

I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 22nd, 2017, 9:14 am

Clive, I can't find you on Google. Would you mind posting a link to Masala please? I'm interested!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 22nd, 2017, 1:40 pm

It is lovely to see you Clive as already said.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 22nd, 2017, 3:02 pm

I must be one of the only people who can't stand chickpeas . It's a shame because I love middle eastern food , but so many dishes contain the dreaded things !
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 22nd, 2017, 4:02 pm

Wotcha all.
Teresa:
Look for " Clive Britcher" on google. I'm the one who cooks, NOT the expert on British Birds :shock:
The company facebook page is Masala Sabe Bien, and there seem to be two of them. One is old - but has lots of pictures.
Most of my stuff is on Instagram (@clivemasala) or FB (Clive Britcher) but there are some photos on google.
For chickpea burgers, add tahini, plenty of finely grated carrot and a spoonful of Besan (chickpea) flour. It helps them bind. THEN, make the burgers, wrap each one in foil or plastic wrap and freeze. They work wonderfully like that and last for ages.
Pepper Pig:
Thanks for asking! Venezuela is very grim at the moment. More than 1000% inflation, severe shortages of food, medicines, supplies and even oil/petrol. Severe security and social problems. I think it's just a matter of time before there's an explosion.
Anyhow - back to the chickpeas! They're great in a salad, too. For a hearty salad, I like to mix them with a bit of cooked pasta, plus all the bits and pieces - herbs, spring onions, etc.
They're so simple, yet so hearty. A stew of chickpeas, onion, tomato, garlic, olive oil. Yum!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 22nd, 2017, 4:05 pm

Keep your head down and stay safe Clive :tu: Wishing you all an improvement in 2018 :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 22nd, 2017, 4:15 pm

:tu: :tu: Thanks, Suffs!!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I must be one of the only people who can't stand chickpeas . It's a shame because I love middle eastern food , but so many dishes contain the dreaded things !

I loathe them too. :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 22nd, 2017, 6:48 pm

But they are so nutty and lush !!!!

Nice to see you Kool. Sorry to hear it is so bad over there...... Hope Crimbo then the New Year brings some cheer. :xtree: :xtree:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 22nd, 2017, 10:04 pm

The smell,the taste,the texture :sprout: :sprout: . Lovely to hear from you KKA. Do you have a back up plan or option to leave if necessary ?
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 23rd, 2017, 12:52 am

PKC:
Back up plan: I'm working on it!!
I can: teach English as a foreign language and
I can: cook
So I can probably work anywhere...
It would be very sad to leave the place I've made my home for the past 36 years, but if push comes to shove, I may have to.
Zosh:
I'm currently in Mexico City, so Xmas will be absolutely glorious. For a chile fanatic, I think this place probably tops the list!!
Back to the chickpeas.
How curious that the texture, the smell, the taste affect different people in such radical ways. I can't eat (chunks of) meat for the same reason.
I gave a Vegetarian Food course a month ago, and there was a lady who couldn't bear pineapple.
I have a friend here who cannot tolerate beetroot.
Good job the world is a tolerant place!!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 23rd, 2017, 11:01 am

Have a wonderful time in Mexico City Clive. I adore the floating market at Xochimilco,

DD is the result of our first trip to Mexico and I am enjoying Rick Stein's current series. Such a joyous place as I remember but they are not without their own troubles either.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 23rd, 2017, 4:51 pm

Out of nowhere I just remembered something I used to make using chick peas. Mix the cooked chick peas with a mixture of mayonnaise, salad cream, English mustard, chopped dill pickled gherkins. I suppose it's like a potato salad but with chick pea instead of potato. For this batch of chick peas I have dressed these ready to go on a jacket spud in a while. I can't remember if I got this recipe from somewhere or just made it up, but I did make it a lot once. Yum!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 1st, 2018, 6:25 pm

I cooked another batch at the weekend, well downstairs neighbour did (he doesn't have to pay for electricity) in his slow cooker with a chopped onion and stock. These cooked on high for about four hours while he went out. Lovely and soft! They'll be going in a chilli tomorrow.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 2nd, 2018, 10:51 am

One of our favourite chickpea meals is a side dish in Denis Cotter's Cafe Paradiso cookbook that uses onion, cumin seeds, spinach and lemon. Let me know if you'd like more details ...
Nigel Slater uses chick peas a lot and there's a wonderful Madhur Jaffrey spicey chickpea stew in her Eastern Vegetarian Cooking.

We always use tinned as we rarely use more than 2 cans and they are so convenient. Our local Tesco sells the East End brand for 40p a tin, or sometimes 3 for £1.

(I'll probably go in to get them next time and find they've gone up in price!)
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 2nd, 2018, 4:15 pm

I would love the Denis Cotter please. :tu:

I just invited my aunt round for chilli next weekend and would usually use kidney beans but for a change threw all of my cooked chickpeas and some frozen sweetcorn in along with lots of fresh green finger chillies and after a sneak preview (om nom) I have to say I think I will use chickpeas again instead of red kidney in future for the lovely texture element.

While I have someone willing to stick them in their slowie for a few hours i will definitely use dried but notice the same round here with buy three for £1 offers which will be a handy option on things like chickpeas and other pulses (not yoghurt though :td:)
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 2nd, 2018, 8:42 pm

Here it is Tezza:
Spinach with chickpeas and cumin
- 4 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 red onion, finely sliced (we use whatever onion we have around and I tend to chop finely rather than slice)
- Rind and juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 4 tblsp cooked chickpeas (we always use a can and we find it is enough for 2, especially if you have some hummus and pitta bread with it, or similar. But I'm sure you know how much you'd need for your appetite and the appetites of your family and friends!)

1.Tear the spinach leaves into pieces
2. Put the rind and juice of the lemon in a jug and add an equal quantity of water
3.Heat some olive oil to quite hot in a pan large enough to take the volume of raw spinach and cok the onion in it for half a minute
4. Add cumin, chickpeas and spinach
5. Keep stirring over a high heat as the spinach wilts.
6. When the spinach seems almost cooked, tip in the lemon and some seasoning and stir for a few seconds more to allow the water to boil off.

About 2 minutes is all it should take.

It's a side dish to a recipe for couscous crusted aubergine, which we've never made, as OH detests them. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a photo of the actual recipe itself - if I am, I'd be happy to so you can see what else is supposed to go with it!
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 3rd, 2018, 12:47 am

I don't see why you can't post a photo of the side to go with it, but I am actually salivating at the thought of spinach, cumin, chickpeas and lemon in the same dish on its own. Thanks for posting!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 3rd, 2018, 7:44 am

As far as I'm aware, if you credit the publication it's from or provide a link to the website it seems to be ok.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 3rd, 2018, 3:21 pm

Good. In that case here it is, from Dennis Cotter The Cafe Paradiso Cookbook:
Attachments
Dennis Cotter Couscous crusted aubergine.jpg
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 4th, 2018, 4:09 am

I really love the look of all of this. Full of some of my favourite things. Don't you just love it when that happens? I will definitely be trying this. Thanks for sharing.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 4th, 2018, 11:30 am

As an aside to the chickpea rcipes, does home-made hummous freeze well, or would I be better off freezing half of the chickpeas from a can? Using a whole can of chickpeas makes more hummous than I want to eat, even over three days.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby liketocook » February 4th, 2018, 11:46 am

Suelle wrote:As an aside to the chickpea rcipes, does home-made hummous freeze well, or would I be better off freezing half of the chickpeas from a can? Using a whole can of chickpeas makes more hummous than I want to eat, even over three days.

I freeze home-made hummous all the time. It does go a tad grainy on defrosting but a good stir brings it back together.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 8th, 2018, 12:48 pm

I use dried and use half and freeze half. Tins although convenient are more expensive than dried. I find them so versatile, and I love the flavour and texture.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » February 8th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Freezing hummous? Why on earth have I never thought about that before? :oops: :D

Many years ago, (before cans were invented!), I used to buy big bags of dried kidney beans, cook them all, and then open freeze them. Then add to chilliest etc without defrosting. Cans are so much easier.
Amber
Registered

Return to The Kitchen