Narragansett turkey

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Narragansett turkey

Postby sueturnersmith » December 22nd, 2017, 12:13 am

Has anyone had a turkey of this heritage breed? I saw a few in Tesco and thought they looked interesting. They were selling fast, so I thought I would give one a try this year. They're a free range slow reared rare breed, and supposed to have a good flavour. Not cheap, but they were all quite small, so not too expensive. I got a 4.7kg bird for £45.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Re: Narragansett turkey

Postby Catherine » December 23rd, 2017, 12:08 pm

You know my views on Turkey - they are all a disappointment
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 23rd, 2017, 6:58 pm

:scared: :scared: :scared: £45....... :scared: :scared: :scared:

I shudder but if you can afford it and can warrant it then so be it.... but not for us.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm

I didn’t see those turkeys at our local Tesco Sue...please let us know how it turns out.
I always get what seems the best available, this year free range bronze and ‘game hung’ I got a medium size one and it was £60.....however we really like our once a year turkey, and there will be 6 of us, so even if it only does 1 meal, I feel it’s quite a reasonable cost per head, especially compared to eating out, And of course it will do many more meals in one guise or another, though I don’t keep it going for days on end! Actually, although I said ‘once a year’ I actually did a full Christmas dinner 4 or 5 weeks ago, when I found a turkey in my freezer and wasn’t sure whether all the family could get here on the day because of work schedules. Anyway, when we were all talking about Christmas we were told that they were all just waiting to be invited, and they’d better all come because at our great age it might be our last....cheeky blighters!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 24th, 2017, 12:41 am

patpoyntz wrote:I got a medium size one and it was £60

It does seem the going rate unless you want mass produced turkeys that have been subjected to the worst farming standards possible. I hope you both enjoy your Christmas dinners
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 24th, 2017, 7:58 am

Zosherooney wrote::scared: :scared: :scared: £45....... :scared: :scared: :scared:

I shudder but if you can afford it and can warrant it then so be it.... but not for us.

OH sells free range locally grown bronze and black turkeys at the farm shop ... approx £11:50 per kg. so a med sized one costs £50-£60. Lots of ordinary people who enjoy good tasty food and who care that the animals they eat have good lives and humane treatment have ordered them in advance and have been arriving to collect their turkey over the past few days.

I really don't understand why one would be happy to spend money on lovely food in restaurants and on holiday and yet not be willing to pay a fair price for something really good quality at Christmas? A turkey provides enough food for several family meals ... I can get nearly a week's worth out of a family sized turkey including stock from the carcass ... That being said we often have a free range goose instead of turkey at Christmas ... even more expensive and less meat per kg ... but so special.

Edited for typos :oops:
Last edited by suffolk on December 24th, 2017, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 24th, 2017, 8:28 am

Collected our turkey for my sister yesterday from our local butcher, herb fed locally reared, it was £65. We are nine for lunch, leftovers will ensure at least as many meals again.

I don’t consider this bad value for money, plus we are supporting our local community who I would rather support than industrial factory farming shareholders.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 24th, 2017, 9:37 am

I picked up my duck yesterday from the posh butcher, £10 per kg
I got away with a contactless payment but the average price of the goody bag (turkey, gammon, pigs in blankets etc. seemed to be about £150
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 24th, 2017, 9:54 am

I would rather eat a turkey reared like these https://www.kellyturkeys.co.uk/

than like these
turkey intensive.jpg
turkey intensive.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » December 24th, 2017, 10:30 am

I've always bought quality free range turkeys, and I wasn't going to get a bird from Tesco, until I saw these. They are genuinley free range from Norfolk, and I thought they were worth a try. There are only three of us, so a small bird will be fine. I usually spend £70 or £80 on a 6.5kg bronze! I'll let you know how it was after tomorrow...
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 24th, 2017, 10:50 am

Is it one of Peele's Sue? https://www.peeles-blackturkeys.co.uk/turkeys/

You can scroll down for a pic of a Narragansett turkey cock in all his glory ........ I've not eaten one of those, but I've had other Peele's turkeys ... they're fabulous :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » December 24th, 2017, 1:26 pm

It doesn't say, Suffs, just says that it was produced on a rare breeds farm in Norfolk, free range and slow grown. It should be good!

Would you cook it the same as a free range bronze?
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » December 24th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Mum I think you got a good buy and that should provide plenty of meals for the 3 of you with sandwiches and inevitable soup too.

It looks as though it is gamier than other turkeys so I would baste it regularly and cover with bacon which you normally do anyway
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 24th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Horses for courses.......I endured a life of being indoctrinated (and still have the hangovers from Dad - bless) but could not ever feel happy for those amounts of money being spent on a turkey, yes I know we had a great lunch the other day but that was a complete treat for us. We don't do it often - twice a year if my memory serves me right. Everyone to their own....

We farmed at home, chx. T'keys, pigs, sheep, cows ducks during the time Dad was with us... I refuse to be sucked in to the environmental debate....

Happy Christmas All...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » December 24th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Horses for courses.......I endured a life of being indoctrinated (and still have the hangovers from Dad - bless) but could not ever feel happy for those amounts of money being spent on a turkey, .

Many of those posting here grew up with the post war paucity of food and choices, and some with mothers who had no means of learning to cook in the way their mothers had and thought cooking was packet soups and Vesta curry. However, most of us have learned not to hold on to that mind set and to spend our earnings in a way that celebrates the fact that we can afford to chose the provenance of our food and without commenting on the perceived profligacies of others.
I have no idea if Sue's turkey is expensive, I've never bought one but if I did, I too, would probably go for an interesting sounding one and ask about cooking requirements etc rather than expecting comments on whether others would have paid that amount for it.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 24th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Sorry Scully, it was never my intention to upset, just my opinion which was what I thought these pages were about.... ? we all come from different avenues and choose to spend our finances in varied areas..... very personal to each and every one of us. I sometimes wish I did not count the values so carefully but on the other hand I am glad to to the way I am and not a spendthrift which so many individuals are and causes so many problems and obscene waste in the world today.

Thankfully my Mother was good cook but never bought a Vesta curry (I have had one.... :sprout: ) but she did use packet soups souped up with her HM stocks when she could not get to town for fresh veg..... Dad did insist on selling our home produced veg at market !!! which produced him a greater gain !!! They did not share the revenues.... :rolleyes:

With regard to my comments, I would rather be honest than asking false questions. I do hope you have a Festive Season.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 24th, 2017, 6:22 pm

suffolk wrote:Is it one of Peele's Sue? https://www.peeles-blackturkeys.co.uk/turkeys/

You can scroll down for a pic of a Narragansett turkey cock in all his glory ........ I've not eaten one of those, but I've had other Peele's turkeys ... they're fabulous :chops:

Peele’s turkeys featured on countryfile tonight.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 24th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Zosherooney wrote:but could not ever feel happy for those amounts of money being spent on a turkey, yes I know we had a great lunch the other day but that was a complete treat for us. We don't do it often - twice a year if my memory serves me right. Everyone to their own....

....and the Christmas dinner is once a year and surely a meal to celebrate the birth of christ
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 24th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Catherine, I totally agree with you on the first part of your sentence, we have turkey at other times of the year...? but as Rio has always said ...keep religion out of the discussion
birth of christ
just don't see what that has got to do with turkey, the price or the breed ?

Have a Happy Christmas Catherine...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » December 26th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Well the turkey was delicious- moist and lots of flavour. One of the best turkeys I have ever eaten. I will definitely buy one again. I cooked it upside down for half the time, and turned it to finish. I used a bronze turkey guide for timings.
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » December 26th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the turkey Sue.

We are not huge turket fans and today Mr R remarked as I carved the remains of the ham cooked at the weekend, that at least we didn't have a large piece of organic scaffolding staring reproachfully from the fridge for the rest of the week :lol: We out. No waste, no washing up. Missed the family though.

As for the cost. Tat is entirely up to the buyer and what they can afford and wish to pay. I am constantly astonished at how much french housewives are prepared and able to shell out on food at this time of year. Not only at the butchers but on cheese, fish and extras like fresh truffles.

On the other hand they don't seem to spend as much on presents, one each seeming to be the norm, they send very few cards and are, speaking generally of course, much more savvy re food budgeting and food waste.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » December 26th, 2017, 3:08 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
We ended up with a cobbled together gammon dinner from freezer bits but it was edible and better than I thought we'd have.
I probably wouldn't spend that on a turkey, but we're not fussed about turkey, I certainly spend a lot on other foods, my Kitchin lunches don't come cheap, and I'm not shy about spending on clothes or bags either.
If it's worth it to you then it's money spent well xxx
Hope you had a lovely day.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 26th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Sue glad to hear your turkey was enjoyable and a success for you. We had a salt and pepper chx. and tasty it was too, we had lots of other things to go with it, HM c'berry sauce, HM stuffing. HM bread sauce, and of course all the veg done at home, some even grown at home.

We all have differing ideas, themes and purses. There was never any intent to upset or cause problems. I hope you have and continue to have a great Boxing Day. Our day has been wonderful, relaxed and with a great Bloody Mary and a tasty Boxing day sarnie. :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 26th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Sue, good to get a review of your turkey...will look out for one next year. Ours was really delicious, cooked, as I usually do covered with butter soaked muslin.....so easy, no basting, and always lovely moist meat. We had 6 goodly portions for lunch, a pile of turkey sandwiches in the evening for us and some neighbours. Our family has now departed with enough turkey and stuffing for another meal each, and there’s enough left for us to finish in various ways with getting tired of it. Very good value for money I would say, in fact I can’t think of a cheaper way of producing so many special meals!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 26th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Sounds great Sue

Not a huge turkey fan but if I have to cook one I'll bear the breed inmind

My Madgett's duck was absolutely delicious, but if anything I fractionally over cooked it, it was done in less than 50 minutes which took me by surprise, next time low and slow. I think it was a combination of a good duck and that it really was at room temperature when I started (which gives me an idea about a thread)

https://www.madgetts.com
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 26th, 2017, 11:10 pm

The duck I got from Lidl was de-legged and they were roast in the oven on Crimbo day. The breasts were carved off with my new sabatier knife (lush!) and the carcass was roast and today was in the slow cooker with veg stuff. It was fatty even for a duck but I am sure the roasties will be enjoyed in time to come...... breasts are now frozen for another time.
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen