Substituting flours

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Substituting flours

Postby missmancs » December 23rd, 2017, 8:19 am

I am planning on making a Clementine and Chestnut Torte for Christmas day. The recipe states 200g of gluten free flour.

Is it ok to substitute this with the same amount of ordinary plain flour? None of us are gluten intolerant and I really don't want to have to go out and buy special flour if its not really needed. Any guests that may turn up are also not affected by gluten so there will be no need to cater for anything unexpected.

Thanks

Jane
missmancs
Registered

Re: Substituting flours

Postby Hope » December 23rd, 2017, 11:10 am

I usually do it the other way around. It should be ok. When using GF flour, you normally have to add a little more liquid, so you might need a little less liquid.
Hope
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 23rd, 2017, 11:36 am

I think it will be fine. Like Hope, I've often adapted recipes in the other direction, so can see no reason why it won't work.

The texture may be a little different, because you are adding gluten, but not necessarily to any detriment. Gluten-free cakes and pastries tend to be crumblier, even with added chemicals such as xanthan gum, which aim to replicate the action of gluten.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby missmancs » December 23rd, 2017, 11:49 am

Thank you both so much.

First time trying the recipe.....can see the argument that maybe Christmas Day is not the best time to be trying out something new, but with one thing and another this month never actually got round to trying it!

Fingers crossed it will be fine.

Thank you again
x
missmancs
Registered

Return to The Kitchen