I have many carrots - help!

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

I have many carrots - help!

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 30th, 2017, 9:24 am

My mum recently bought me a 1kg bag, then my neighbour was trying to offload some more as he had acquired a load too. I never turn down free food!

I like them steamed as they are, I will probably blanch and freeze some, I wondered if I could pre-grate and freeze some for carrot cake later on next week when I will have eggs, can you freeze grated raw carrot well? Maybe do a potato and root veg mash with parsnips I also have...

Other than that, brick wall! Any other ideas? They will not go to waste!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: I have many carrots - help!

Postby suffolk » December 30th, 2017, 9:32 am

Put them somewhere dark and cool (salad drawer in fridge) they will keep fine until next week. I keep them for weeks in a sack in the garage. Just make sure they're dry.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 30th, 2017, 10:29 am

Suffs is right Tezza as long as they are cool and dry - take them out of the plastic bag - they'll be fine.

I'm making a posh carrot veloute for starters on Monday I'll add coriander and sherry and garnish the finished article with escabeche mussels (from a tin).
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 30th, 2017, 11:11 am

I will take them out of their bag now and put them in a brown paper mini carrier bag courtesy of Holland and Barrett which I keep in the fridge for storing mushrooms.

Carrots with sherry sound yum!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 30th, 2017, 11:27 am

I wouldn't try freezing grated carrots for cakes. I think they would release more liquid as they thawed, and either make the cake too wet, or, even if you squeezed them dry, adversely affect the balance of ingredients.

You can add carrots to anything really - grated into Bolognese type sauces, added to casseroles, cooked with other root veg and mashed (as you mentioned), cooked and puréed with only a little liquid, and frozen as concentrated soup (add more stock or liquid when reheating).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 30th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Yeah, freezing grated carrot for cakes didn't seem right in my mind.

I just watched James Martin making rosti potato. Pretty sure grated carrot added would be good and maybe parsnip too. I might have a bash at that later. :chops: And I usually have mirepoix bagged up and frozen in portions but have run out so think I will finely dice some ready for when I have the celery and onion in.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » December 30th, 2017, 12:19 pm

this is good for a couple of carrots (you can put more in without really noticing or overpowering it) and you probably wouldn't notice if they'd been frozen first.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 30th, 2017, 12:35 pm

I always include a generous amount of grated carrot to the mince and onion mixture for a cottage pie ... soften a chopped onion, add the mince and brown, add a grated carrot, some frozen peas, an oxo beef cube and some hot water and simmer for 20 minutes. Put in casserole and top with fluffy mashed potatoes ... Voila ... a one dish meal that freezes well. :chef:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 30th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Carrot and coriander soup is one of my favourite soups. Going along the cottage pie route, instead of potato , you could top with carrot and swede mash.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 31st, 2017, 5:20 am

No matter offence Tezza but I really can't see the point of taking stuff, even if it's free, when you already have a surplus of the same thing then asking for advice as to what to do with it.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 31st, 2017, 6:54 am

No offence either NLB, but I have a total food waste ban in my flat due to recently being sanctioned unfairly by benefits and have had no income for almost a month. The fact is, if you have no money you cannot buy food, and believe me, there is nothing quite as horrible when you love cooking, you have to eat, you have no food in the cupboard or freezer, have no money to buy any and are hungry. It really makes you appreciate and use any food offered if it is otherwise destined for the bin. And it erases the demeaning need, courtesy of our warped benefits system, to have to spend £4 getting on a bus to travel to a council office for your precious £10 food voucher allowance once every six months. It also erases the need to beg on the street. All of a sudden, free carrots seem like unexpected treasure. Plus I adore carrots! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 31st, 2017, 12:07 pm

Hi Tezza, I had a surfeit of carrots and was looking for something different to do with them - I adore all the amazing soups you can do, as have been mentioned above (coriander, ginger, orange, tomato, butternut squash etc and check out my thread from earlier in the year: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14834 for some really great ideas) and came across omi houriya, a spiced dip. There are lots of links if you google - this was the composite recipe I came up with. (I didn't have "young carrots" just the normal supermarket own brand.)
It was a little bit slack, but delicious. I didn't have the Greek yogurt mentioned below but think that if that were added it would probably have been a bit thicker. Or maybe I should have put in more olive oil. You can obviously experiment with more or less of the spices to suit your taste.
I just had cream crackers in the house so used them and didn't buy pitta breads or flatbreads specially.
It makes a pleasant and interesting change from hummus.

Omi Houriya
    Using a vegetable brush, scrub a bunch of trimmed, young carrots (about 500g) and roughly chop.
    Bring to the boil in a saucepan along with a little grated ginger, garlic, salt and sufficient water to barely cover the carrots. Simmer until tender, adding a little more water if required.
    Remove from the heat, add a teaspoon each of white wine (or white balsamic) vinegar, ground cumin and harissa paste; a pinch of caraway seeds then puree with either a hand blender or food processor.
    Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil and whiz again.
    Allow to cool and chill before serving with the requisite flat breads.
The addition of thick, Greek yogurt (in equal quantity) produces a creamy dip with a less pungent but, equally delicious flavour to serve with crackers and crudité though, mayonnaise could easily be an alternative addition.
KC2
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 31st, 2017, 3:26 pm

You could make a carrot and tomato soup with Moroccan spices - then freeze it.
Koosmali for lunch - an Indian "salad" with grated carrots, mustard seeds, coconut and green chiles.
You could make some carrot and orange chutney.
You could grate them and mix with chickpeas, onion, tahini and smoked cheese, for veggie burgers.
Or you could slice them thinly into strips, put them in your pocket, go into your local pet store, look at the goldfish tank, sneak out a carrot strip and quickly dip into the fish tank, then eat. " Goldfish are delicious"! :terrified: :terrified: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 31st, 2017, 4:18 pm

What about Carrot halwa ? Lots of recipes online. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 31st, 2017, 5:04 pm

Tezza will be complaining of not enough carrots, soon! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 31st, 2017, 6:37 pm

Suelle wrote:Tezza will be complaining of not enough carrots, soon! :lol:

That's what I was just thinking! :lol:

Absolutely loving the goldfish trick! I could really catch my youngest nephew out with that one!

These all sound delightful, thank you! In the colder months I have been making a lot of soups, sometimes pureed, sometimes thick stews, all of which contained carrot. Now that the spring is almost upon us (come on spring!) I was thinking earlier about my favourite chilled soup which is carrot, usually Baxter's with butterbean, so I have grated a small batch for the freezer to get the texture right for that, neither chunky nor pureed. That salad sounds delightful, thanks for that, and I shall be Googling halva which I have never tried.

So glad I mentioned my carrot glut now!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 31st, 2017, 10:04 pm

I get through a kg bag a week. My dog has a raw carrot every afternoon. He loves them. The good thing with carrots is that you can pretty much throw them in everything xx
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 2nd, 2018, 7:02 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Or you could slice them thinly into strips, put them in your pocket, go into your local pet store, look at the goldfish tank, sneak out a carrot strip and quickly dip into the fish tank, then eat. " Goldfish are delicious"! :terrified: :terrified: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of A Fish Called Wanda!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 2nd, 2018, 10:40 pm

I made a super sweet parsnip soup yesterday and would usually use just parsnip, curry paste, onion and garlic but added lots of frozen grated carrot and it made it super duper sweet and delicious, I polished off the lot!
Two carrots left to deal with now in their paper bag in the fridge salad drawer. I may slice, parboil and freeze. A bit fed up with finely dicing and grating now. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 2nd, 2018, 10:55 pm

Crudités ... Just what's needed after Christmas :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 3rd, 2018, 6:46 pm

Just found this whilst browsing my saved items. For when you next have 'too many carrots'....http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/534 ... er-burgers The interesting bit is at the bottom of the page.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 26th, 2018, 5:29 pm

History has just repeated itself! A bag from mum last week, half a bag from neighbour just now, which I gratefully made a home for in my fridge and rereading this I fancy making the carrot and coriander burgers courtesy of Zosh. I'm sure both donators would be happy to take a couple each in return.

As per my original post last month, again not a single carrot will be wasted.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 26th, 2018, 9:31 pm

it's not the right weather but in one of my ancient Sainsburys books I have a recipe for Russian carrot salad. NOw I hate raw carrot but I like this, porbably because it has so much garlic in it.

it is imply
12oz carrots, grated coursely
2-4 (!!) cloves garlic, crushed
3tbsp of mayonaise
salt
mix and chill for four hours before eating.

It's nice. Honest!

They do a garlicky carrot salad with raisins in a vinaigrette in Albion which is nice too.

Carrots are very nice roasted too, especially with cumin.
You could braise them and with onion and add cheese towards the end.

Carrot and spring onion fritters might work.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 26th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Herbidacious wrote:it's not the right weather but in one of my ancient Sainsburys books I have a recipe for Russian carrot salad. NOw I hate raw carrot but I like this, porbably because it has so much garlic in it.

it is imply
12oz carrots, grated coursely
2-4 (!!) cloves garlic, crushed
3tbsp of mayonaise
salt
mix and chill for four hours before eating.

It's nice. Honest!

They do a garlicky carrot salad with raisins in a vinaigrette in Albion which is nice too.

Carrots are very nice roasted too, especially with cumin.
You could braise them and with onion and add cheese towards the end.

Carrot and spring onion fritters might work.

ooh that looks delish!! :hungry:
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2018, 8:13 am

sorry about all the typos! :oops:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 28th, 2018, 10:33 am

Carrots are great, you could do so much with them.
Try this Carrot Launji, one of my late mother in-laws recipes. You can adjust the amount of chillies to taste. It is nice when hot, because it is generally eaten as a side dish or pickle.
There are many ways of making carrot halva, but this one is the easiest. To get the best taste, serve it hot. I give it a blast in microwave oven just before serving.
Carrot stuffed parathas
[url-http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10070Carrot and peas bhaji[/url]
Indian Coleslaw
Koftas
Chilla Pancakes
Mamta
Registered

Return to The Kitchen