What's everyone having to eat over New Year?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

What's everyone having to eat over New Year?

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 30th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Has anyone got any nice food planned for New Years Eve/New Years day? I'm spending New Year's Eve with a friend who's recently had a hip replacement and her teenage son . I've said I'll bring Round some food . My chicken satay and chicken tikka skewers have been requested along with brownies . I might also do some stuffed mini jacket potatoes too .
I'm working New Year's Day , but I always like to start the new year off with something healthy. I might take some salmon with me and have a large salad with salmon and egg . How about everyone else?
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Re: What's everyone having to eat over New Year?

Postby suffolk » December 30th, 2017, 2:17 pm

We'll be at MIL's ......... I'll lay good money on there being a King Prawn Ring involved somewhere :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm

I blew my budget this morning. Waitrose in Northwood had a fig and prosciutto glazed rib of beef reduced from £39.75 to £17.30. It was on its use-by date but I couldn’t resist. Am roasting it tonight. We don’t do NYE in any shape or form so tomorrow will be cold roast beef!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 30th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Pepper :hi5: What a bargain!!! Deeply envious :drool:

IMHO the 'use by' date on a piece of well-hung beef is elastic
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2017, 4:10 pm

I have done all my shopping
Got a friend here for NYE dinner and NY day lunch
Dinner will be Thai crab salad served in red gem lettuce cups followed by a spiced rack of lamb (Persiana) served with saffron roasted potatoes, roast cauli & chickpeas (On the side)
The lunch will be a small selection of Iberico charcuterie (was going to be Italian, but they'd put it on offer and sold out, so I was lucky to get the last Iberico) with celeriac salad followed by fegato alla Veneziana (posh liver and onions),probably with polenta unless the idea terrifies my guest
No desserts, but cheese if required

Beef sounds good PP
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 30th, 2017, 4:14 pm

No plans here! I haven't given it much though to be honest. New Year's Eve will possibly involve a bottle of something that goes 'pop' :cocktail: This will probably be done at home by myself as my lot do not allow such behaviour......I may do a mini roast New Year's Day with something veggie as centre piece. I can't be too extravagant this year unfortunately, hence the New Year's resolutions - get healthy, get a job and get out of here! <determined smiley>
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby smitch » December 30th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I think we're having veggie lasagna with a rocket salad. Probably olives, sunblush tomatoes etc for before the meal. Neither of us particularly likes sparkling wine but we have some special beers to open that we've been saving. Shopping will be done in the morning. We're popping into Manchester for breakfast and will call at Tesco on the way home.
smitch
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 30th, 2017, 5:43 pm

I just noticed my local store has frozen pizza on reduced, perfect TV fodder for tomorrow night with my glass or two of fizz, sorted! :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 30th, 2017, 5:48 pm

We don't usually bother with New Year stuff at all. In the past we almost developed a tradition of having a fondu. That's a possibility if I can source baguette very locally, but OH seems lukewarm (he's not well at all, poor lamb.) 'Traditionally' I am also usually in bed by 11pm latest, but my hours seem to have slipped forward by 90 minutes since the 22nd, so I may well be accidentally up, still, at midnight.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 30th, 2017, 6:13 pm

We take it in turns to host a NYE dinner where we all prepare a course.

This year I’m on starters and are having either/or/both of salmon pate and Brussels pate on sourdough with a side salad. Mains is a three rib roast beef with Yorkshire puds, roasties and red cabbage. Not sure what K is doing for pud but it’s bound to be delicious.

I had wanted to do a seafood starter but the fussy eater wanted pate so it seemed easier to stick with something he will eat.

NYD itself is lasagne and garlic bread. Think we are a bit fed up of roast dinners and leftovers in various disguises. I have had a dig out of the fridges, very little waste, some mushrooms well last their best a few stalks of celery and a slice of bacon that looked a bit iffy. Not too bad all things considered.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 31st, 2017, 7:23 am

I think we will have the 30p game pies I bought yesterday with some already roasted veg, maybe preceded by some HM gravd lax for an 'on the hoof' starter. Not sure about tomorrow as I have a busy day prepping stuff for a village lunchtime bash for 16 on the 2nd.

I too, need to sort my fridges out, I know I have some stuff I need to freeze and some fresh herbs that are starting to wilt which I think I will make into a green salsa for a salad maybe?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 31st, 2017, 1:27 pm

I have made a cauldron of chilli, J is currently constructing a lamb mooli.
Friends are meeting at our house at 1100 sharp tomorrow for a walk, then back to ours for a bowl of the above.
With any luck they will have cleared off by 1700-ish :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » December 31st, 2017, 1:54 pm

Steak pie of course, it's traditional in many parts of Scotland, mine has beef links (sausages in it)
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 31st, 2017, 8:02 pm

I was just about to put my pizza in the oven when downstairs knocked to say pizza with all the trimmings, whatever they are, will be on their way up later once ready! How kind!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 1st, 2018, 9:26 am

I did a mini roast yesterday albeit slightly overcooked the potatoes :oops: Later I attempted to recreate a dessert inspired by a Tom Kerridge programme .. leftover Christmas pudding stirred through some good vanilla ice-cream.. My take on it was to pour a shot of Amaretto over and it was quite :chops: :bounce: However, in attempting to cook the second mini Christmas pud in the microwave, I had a senior moment and set the timer for 3 minutes instead of 30 seconds ! :scared: I am now trying to fumigate the whole house of the smell of burnt Christmas pudding !!! :td: :sprout: :oops: :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 1st, 2018, 6:05 pm

Walk has been completed, guests have departed.
Greedy beggars scoffed the lot. No leftovers for tomorrow's dinner.
Humph.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 1st, 2018, 6:22 pm

Back home - again!! :)

We had a quiet Christmas. Just some steak for us. Then to son's for Boxing Day lunch and an overnight. Back home then the following day we had lunch at St James Restaurant with friends. Friday to our other son for supper and and overnight. Sunday at home, and today all the family congregated at the "Walnut Tree" carvery and pub, just next to the OS offices in Nursling, Southampton. Very nice meal and very helpful and friendly staff. Useful with a young granddaughter.

So after 500 miles in less than a week, we are home for a rest...

... apart from the two big birthdays in the next three weeks!!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 1st, 2018, 11:52 pm

For New Year's Eve we had a Chinese takeway at work and I thought I'd never want to eat again! Since then I've been out visiting for supper today (NYD) and had freshly cooked gammon with salad, jacket potato and other tasty bits and pieces - followed by a raspberry and prosecco dessert and a couple of profiteroles and a piece of gingerbread house made by GD (with help!). I had some cheese and biscuits at home earlier. That is IT for the festive season!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 2nd, 2018, 9:47 am

NYE was a meal with friends, each of 3 couples contributing a course. Smoked fish selection to start, venison pies for main, trifle for afters.

Yesterday was smoked fish and scrambled egg for brunch, cold goose and bubble, red cabbage, HM coleslaw for tea. Same for tea tonight :hungry:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 2nd, 2018, 10:35 am

Our NYE dinner following the same format as Badger’s Mate was a great success.

The host, a single chap did us proud with a three rib beef roast, proper Yorkshire’s done in the meat tin, roast spuds and parsnips plus braised red cabbage. Absolutely :hungry: :hungry:

K’s pudding was crepe Suzette, not the perfect match as we had already had Yorkshire puds but delicious anyway and all polished off. We then hit a bit of a slump, but managed to see the NY in with champagne then on the road home by 12.30.

I drove home, it was hard work but made it in 40 mins.

A good evening all round.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 2nd, 2018, 12:00 pm

Last night I decided to crack open a mini Cheddar with caramalised onion truckle that I picked up in the Boxing day sales. It did not go well with the Polish beer I was trialing. I may mix some of it grated in mashed potato tonight. That may work. The Polish beer was very nice by the way. One remaining for another day.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 2nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:Steak pie of course, it's traditional in many parts of Scotland, mine has beef links (sausages in it)

Same here :D with lentil soup to start and trifle for pudding. There would a mutiny if I made anything else on the 1st ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 2nd, 2018, 4:58 pm

I am loving reading about all these New Year family food traditions. Growing up we never had any, and then once I left home at 18 the tradition of choice seemed to be alcohol. I think now what a waste of time and money that was. I'm getting old! :lol: :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2018, 5:33 pm

suffolk wrote:We'll be at MIL's ......... I'll lay good money on there being a King Prawn Ring involved somewhere :)

I was right :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 14th, 2018, 9:07 pm

suffolk wrote:
suffolk wrote:We'll be at MIL's ......... I'll lay good money on there being a King Prawn Ring involved somewhere :)

I was right :lol:

..........................'that's why Mums go to Iceland'
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 14th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Iceland prawn rings seem to have been going for decades! I guess they must be good!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 14th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Hmmmm.... Mums go to Bejam does not really have the same ring to it somehow...... I wonder what they will call it next ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2018, 11:10 am

Think it was Sainsbug's version ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen