Basa Fillets

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Basa Fillets

Postby mogatogs » December 31st, 2017, 3:13 pm

Afternoon,

Trying to decrease meat in our diet and increase fish, saw some boneless Basa fillets in reduced section at Sainsbugs so bought them, now :oops: have no idea what to do with them, any advice gratefully received they cost me 74pence :D
mogatogs
Registered

Re: Basa Fillets

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 31st, 2017, 4:15 pm

Basa is the same as river cobbler isn't it. I'm aiming to eat more fish in the new year, not only for health, but because you get great finds in the RTC section. I bought fillets once and think I baked them in a foil parcel with a slice or two of lemon and a dot of butter for about 10 minutes, then had with green veg. Simple but nice .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 31st, 2017, 6:39 pm

There are many outlets that sell basa here but other than treat them like cod or haddock I wouldn't have a clue, so will keep an eye on this thread.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 31st, 2017, 9:07 pm

It may be different now but there was a scare some time ago where river cobbler was farmed in waters where the waters were polluted with factory effuence. :? I do not mean to be a scaremonger just giving what I read....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 31st, 2017, 9:40 pm

Zosherooney wrote:It may be different now but there was a scare some time ago where river cobbler was farmed in waters where the waters were polluted with factory effuence. :? I do not mean to be a scaremonger just giving what I read....

It was as is usually the case a load of hot air. I really like Basa. Treat as you would any white fish such as cod, haddock, whiting etc. As already said, done in a foil parcel is nice. A parsley sauce works well too, but they also go well with lime and coriander type marinades and served with couscous or rice They also make a great addition to a fish pie
Catherine
Registered

Postby spottymint » January 1st, 2018, 2:19 pm

I don't eat Basa, we had a pet Pangasius, Pangy.... Still miss him, such a character...
spottymint
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 1st, 2018, 2:52 pm

I hope you managed to make something nice from the Basa fillets. As others have said, they can be treated just like other fillets of that kind of fish. I would either fry them, so that the skin is crispy (if the skin has been left on!) or do in parcels with lemon as others have suggested or with herbs or chilli flakes.

The EA are pretty good at monitoring river water and at alerting those who need to know if unexpected things get in it. I doubt that many farmers with a contract to supply large supermarkets would want to jeopardise their tie by knowingly producing dodgy fish. There are mishaps everywhere in the food chain from time to time. I shall certainly go on enjoying river fish ... :chops: :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 1st, 2018, 7:43 pm

As you probably discovered Basa is pretty much generic fish, with little distinctive flavour and a tendency to disintegrated
You can use it in most fish y recipes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 2nd, 2018, 9:37 am

The EA are pretty good at monitoring river water and at alerting those who need to know if unexpected things get in it.

Whatever the accuracy of that statement might be (I remember screaming at the telly during a programme called River Detectives), isn't this fish farmed in warmer climes? There was a load of fuss about it a few years ago, but the same countries farm prawns and nobody seems to object to that.

I've had it as breaded fillets from the supermarket and from a buffet in Germany, where it was called Pangasius. As a cheap white fish I think I prefer Gadoids like coley, but there's nothing really wrong with the taste of it, rather like keg beer, and there's usually something nicer to have. Some fish are improved by salting, which might also firm up the texture. I haven't tried that with this stuff but surely someone has and written about it somewhere.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 2nd, 2018, 10:07 am

Pangassius (basa) seems to be entirely farmed in pens in the Mekong delta

If you Google you can scare yourself half to death by the number of scare stories about how the fish is "contaminated" by being farmed in the "polluted water of the Mekong delta" but this proper scientific review of the available information says that extensive testing by the EU authorities indicate this is fake news

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/raq.12151/pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjVrsG2grnYAhVN6aQKHSYNDGQQFgjoATAv&usg=AOvVaw0xVkWCtK8kd6k2oz-ZuXNr
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 2nd, 2018, 11:26 am

The king prawns I bought the other day in Tesco were farmed in Vietnam too, iirc.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 2nd, 2018, 11:44 am

Badger's mate wrote:The king prawns I bought the other day in Tesco were farmed in Vietnam too, iirc.

I think there have been genuine problems with King Prawns farmed in mangrove in Vietnam, Cambodia and Honduras, not so much safety but flavour (I remember early ones having a distinct whiff of rank mangrove mud) and ecology (is farming in natural mangroves a good idea?) but again I think they have improved standards in all directions though I haven't been into it in any depth and I suspect there are still concerns
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 2nd, 2018, 6:58 pm

I too treat them like cod or haddock. I particularly like them baked in a parcel with chopped pak choi, celery and spring onions, grated ginger and a mixture of lime juice & soy sauce. Lovely with noodles. We often have that in the week when we're feeling virtuous. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 2nd, 2018, 11:52 pm

StokeySue wrote:Pangassius (basa) seems to be entirely farmed in pens in the Mekong delta

I had no idea! I thought many of the now farmed 'foreign' fishes were farmed nearer home. I must read labels more carefully :( I tend to buy fish as I buy meat - when it's marked down to sell quickly in the supermarket. Fresh fish from the fishmonger is a rare treat and I am more careful about my choices then.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 3rd, 2018, 7:47 am

I first had Basa in Spain, my Dad introduced me to it. We bought it fresh from a fish market in Malaga. Back then I only knew it as Pangassius, I think Dad liked it as they were practically giving it away ! ;)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 14th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Catherine
Registered

Return to The Kitchen