Once common now hard to find.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Once common now hard to find.

Postby Ratatouille » January 3rd, 2018, 2:25 pm

This morning I discovered a stall at the peasant market in town which had boiling fowls for sale. This is a rare find these days. I think they are all used by the producers themselves. Either that or here, in france, like other places fewer folk know what to do with them, or haven't the time.

I have said fowl simmering with the usual suspects and some fresh herbs right now. It will make several meals and it is smelling wonderful.

Are there things you used to cook regularly but can no longer find easilly ?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Once common now hard to find.

Postby karadekoolaid » January 3rd, 2018, 3:20 pm

Boiling fowls only appear in Venezuela at Christmas time. They're used to make our traditional hallacas (tamales filled with fowl, pork and a whole bunch of other flavourings!).
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 3rd, 2018, 4:10 pm

Our route out of York yesterday took us past Rowntrees ( now Nestles) and for the first time in a long time you could smell the chocolate on the air.

We were reminiscing about when they made Beechwood chewing gum, then the whole city smelt of mint. We remarked that we haven’t seen Beechwood for sale for years.

Not quite an item I used to cook but similar.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2018, 4:43 pm

Boiling fowls seem to have disappeared round here, I should check out the Jewish butchers as they must be making the "Jewish penicillin" somehow
Used to see retired layers in Dalston Market but they never looked or smelled appetising
I did contact Clarence Court (posh egg producer) following a previous discussion but the person who answered my email obviously didn't even understand the question
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 3rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

It appears that boiling fowl are available from a butcher in Manchester http://www.lordsofmiddleton.co.uk/cgi-b ... D=!ORDERID!
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 3rd, 2018, 5:30 pm

Lords of Middleton are in a predominantly orthodox Jewish area of Manchester.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » January 3rd, 2018, 6:17 pm

I have bought boiling fowl occasionally from my local farmers market. They do not have them very often, unfortunately.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » January 3rd, 2018, 6:37 pm

I have bought boiling fowls in Southall but not locally in Wiltshire.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 3rd, 2018, 8:00 pm

Zosherooney wrote:I have bought boiling fowls in Southall but not locally in Wiltshire.

Ooh, not too far away from me .... I might have to pop along there ... should I take orders ? ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 3rd, 2018, 9:45 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 4th, 2018, 9:26 am

What actually 'makes' a boiling fowl ? I would worry that any I found would be ex battery hens :shock: :cry: :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 4th, 2018, 9:33 am

LIDL sell them in Cyprus
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 4th, 2018, 10:13 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:What actually 'makes' a boiling fowl ? I would worry that any I found would be ex battery hens :shock: :cry: :td:

Usually older hens that have stopped laying I don't know what happens to redundant hens from battery farms but the one I got was from a farmer who also sells bio (organic) eggs.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 4th, 2018, 10:24 am

Ratatouille wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:What actually 'makes' a boiling fowl ? I would worry that any I found would be ex battery hens :shock: :cry: :td:

Usually older hens that have stopped laying I don't know what happens to redundant hens from battery farms but the one I got was from a farmer who also sells bio (organic) eggs.

I may have to enquire at my local farm shop then as they sell their own eggs and chickens ... :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 4th, 2018, 10:28 am

Boiling fowl are usually former layers, and the reason I didn't / don't buy the ones from Dalston market is that I suspect that they are ex-battery.
Which was also why I was interested in finding out what happened to the Clarence Court birds.

Ex-layers are sometimes a rather disturbing bright yellow, I think this is only due to feeding carotenoids (zeaxanthine from maize and lutein from leaves and flowers) to make the yolks more golden. It's completely harmless, in fact I take 22 mg of them every day for the good of my retinas, but that amount of loading with them may indicate intensive rearing, I'm not sure
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 4th, 2018, 10:36 am

The yellow colour can also be caused by the chickens eating a lot of greenstuff so is common in free range poultry ... and it can also be to do with breed ... similarly the fat of jersey cows is well known to be yellow http://www.sciquest.org.nz/node/39279 which traditionally has caused problems for the farmers seeking to market jersey beef as it has mistakenly been presumed to mean that the carcass is from an older animal.

If you look at the expensive 'maize fed' poultry, these have a yellowish tinge due to their diet http://www.walterroseandson.co.uk/buy-o ... ed-chicken
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 4th, 2018, 10:44 am

Yes, the yellow they get from greenstuff is the lutein I mentioned, and cornfedhickens are bright from zeaxanthin
But believe me, the intensity of colour I've seen in Dalston market is perhaps 10x what you see in maize fed roasting poultry and very unlikely to occur without supplementation or a very specific diet, though the fat on an old boiling hen will always be less white than that on a spring chicken
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 4th, 2018, 11:50 am

Some poultry feeds for layers have traditionally contained extract of calendula in order to produce deeply coloured yolks - I know that when I kept a laying flock of free range rare breeds the organic feed we used did ... and the boiling fowl from that flock certainly had a strong yellow colour.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 4th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Are there things you used to cook regularly but can no longer find easilly ?

I think I've said this before but I can never find curd cheese or Quark these days. Both seem to have gone out of fashion.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 4th, 2018, 1:17 pm

orOur chooks are fed both a fair bit of maize and loads of greens too so their eggs have lovely sunshine yolks. so far we haven't had any who have stopped laying so I can't say how they wolud turn out once in the pot!!

My Cuzz was saying only yesterday she had tried to buy oxtail ecause she fancied some soup but her otherwise excellent butcher told her tht there was no-longer a call for it nor cowheel or ox cheek. People just don't know what to do with it he said. I wonder where it goes? All three commonly avaialable from my butcher. I wish I could get him to cut me some brisket though.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 4th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Ratatouille wrote:... My Cuzz was saying only yesterday she had tried to buy oxtail ecause she fancied some soup but her otherwise excellent butcher told her tht there was no-longer a call for it nor cowheel or ox cheek. ,,,

I reckon it's going to restaurants ...... Many very good butchers no longer buy whole carcasses ... they buy ready jointed or part carcasses from abattoirs who package oxtails, ox cheeks in packs for restaurants ... no restaurant wants just one tail or two cheeks ... they want those cuts in quantity.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 4th, 2018, 2:12 pm

You are right Suffs. Bit like my elusive pomegranates :D
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 4th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Seatallan wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:Are there things you used to cook regularly but can no longer find easilly ?

I think I've said this before but I can never find curd cheese or Quark these days. Both seem to have gone out of fashion.

Quark very easy to find round here, I think the E Europeans use it, but I mourn the passing of curd cheese

Likewise I think. oxtails and cow heel go to communities that favour them, easy enough to buy in Hackney, I've mentioned before that the local butcher sells both chunky oxtail for stews (I have oxtail ragu in the freezer) and the bony ends tied in bundles for soup. Both African and West Indian cooks favour oxtail
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 4th, 2018, 3:09 pm

We went to Cafe Monico in Shaftesbury Avenue on Tuesday. My chum had oxtail ragu with orzotto. Said it was wonderfully rich.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Quark readily available here too. It's a Slimming World staple so maybe they run out when you go shopping! It's in the cheese aisle, not with the yogurty things. I don't know about curd cheese. The last oxtail I bought was from a 'nice' butcher at a farm shop. My mother used to make delicious dishes with oxtail and we'd eat the lot and lick the bones. Even after a long, slow cooking, the stuff I bought wasn't nice at all, very fatty and gristly without much real meat. If that's what they're selling I'm not surprised it's no longer popular.

It annoys me when supermarkets sell 'casserole beef' or 'stewing beef' and don't name the cut.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 4th, 2018, 5:26 pm

earthmaiden wrote:It annoys me when supermarkets sell 'casserole beef' or 'stewing beef' and don't name the cut.

If I can't identify the cut I don't buy it.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 4th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Seatallan wrote:

I get Quark from Tesco if that's any help
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 4th, 2018, 7:49 pm

I get mine from Waitrose or Morries. It’s with the cheese rather than the yogurt.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 5th, 2018, 12:29 am

Apparently Waitrose have curd cheese though I've not seen it there, they were the last supermarket to sell it "loose" from the deli counter, years ago
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/devon-gold-soft-curd-cheese/769533-109465-109466
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen