Steamer

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Steamer

Postby mogatogs » January 4th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Evening

Today I have purchased a electric steamer, 3 tiers plus a rice bowl, it is 800 watt and the instructions are basic to say the least can anyone recommend a book? I was hoping to cook salmon fillets in it tomorrow and some veg, but the booklet states it will take 30 -40 minutes help please
mogatogs
Registered

Re: Steamer

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 5th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Sorry to sound negative, but I never got on with one of these tiered steamers, however an old friend of mine made very good use of hers :tu: She would layer it up with various veg when she had a houseful sitting down for a meal. I can't say that I recall if she ever cooked salmon in it, but I presume that goes on the top layer (with potatoes in the bottom and something else in the middle).

I recall my biggest disappointment was finding how long it all took to cook ... :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 5th, 2018, 9:48 pm

i only have a hob one. but use it quite a bit. no book.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 5th, 2018, 10:34 pm

I've never taken to steaming either - it all takes so much longer than the cooking methods that I'm used to.

The only exception is that steaming aubergine chunks is a good way of softening them without using oil - got that from an Ottolenghi recipe.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » January 5th, 2018, 11:09 pm

DD and DS both love theirs. They make very good meals by using the tiers properly. I was never so good at the timing (obviously things that take longest go at the bottom - the worst thing to cook I found was cauliflower - it took longer than the book said) and mine seemed to constantly boil dry so it had to be watched and topped up a lot.

There are a number of steamer recipe books available if yours didn't come with one. I think it is probably worth getting one.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 5th, 2018, 11:19 pm

I use a stove top steamer, but I've always suspected that the advantage ofvan electric one would be consistency, cauliflower seemsto take anything from 5 to 20 minutes...
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 6th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Ive got a stove top one too and use it quite a lot. I also use my bamboo ones in as many as 3 layers I shall use the former tomorrow because Mr R has been dreaming of Sussex Pond puddings and I promised him one.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 6th, 2018, 2:25 pm

My stove top steamer isn’t quite used every day, but certainly three plus times a week.

In addition to being a healthy way to cook I enjoy the frugality of using it, knowing that I’m only using one ring. Not quite the same when we are in Yorkshire and cook on the Rayburn, there the whole range is hot and you don’t have defined ‘ rings’.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Mamta » January 6th, 2018, 5:39 pm

I only use a microwave steamer, for all sorts of vegetables, singly or in a group. Never had the gas top one. I almost always boil potatoes in it. Corn on the cob, beetroot etc. cook in minutes.
Mamta
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 6th, 2018, 8:12 pm

I am a slattern so I use a colander over a pan of water.
Obviously that only cooks one thing - mostly used when we have lifted the potatoes as very new ones are better steamed than boiled.
WWordsworth
Registered

Return to The Kitchen