Marmalade

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Marmalade

Postby Meganthemog » January 5th, 2018, 2:29 pm

As some of you may know, I run a lifestyle magazine in Wales. Our February issue has a travel article on Seville and I thought it might be an idea to accompany it with a recipe for marmalade since Seville oranges are just coming into our local market.
I have a kilo of oranges and all the necessary equipment - courtesy of the lovely people at Lakeland - and am planning a marmalade session tomorrow. My mum's recipe was for 1 kg of oranges, 2 kilos of granulated sugar and the juice of a lemon. I've researched on-line and this seems pretty standard. Any experienced preservers out there that would like to add any t&t tips?
Meganthemog
Registered

Re: Marmalade

Postby scullion » January 5th, 2018, 2:44 pm

the royal palace in seville is one of the most beautiful places - a melding of renaissance and moorish. i wish i'd been more careful with the seedlings i'd grown from an orange i picked up in the garden of troy!
i use far less sugar than that, nearer to parity with the oranges - i think.
if you use the search engine you'll probably find recipes that many of us have used in the past.

here are some - maybe the threads can be joined, they even have the same title. there are 32 pages of mentions of marmalade, many are of toast and marmalade but there are quite a few about the marmalade competition, too, and rat's saffron marmalade - and i only went ten pages back - there could be more recipes beyond that.
Last edited by scullion on January 5th, 2018, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 5th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Ian's recipe is always a winner and totally reliable if you follow his instructions! http://souvigne.pagesperso-orange.fr/re ... isc190.htm

His more general jam-making instructions are here: http://souvigne.pagesperso-orange.fr/re ... isc100.htm

Thank you Ian!
KC2
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 8th, 2018, 10:11 am

Thanks for the tips. Ian's recipe is proportionally the same as mine so I was happy to go ahead. Successfully made 6.5 lb all for just over £3 - bargain!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 8th, 2018, 10:43 am

Meganthemog wrote:Thanks for the tips. Ian's recipe is proportionally the same as mine so I was happy to go ahead. Successfully made 6.5 lb all for just over £3 - bargain!

Excellent :tu: :tu: Happy eating!
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 11th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Grr, just made mine and the damn pan caught. It's only ever happened once before and that was when I strayed away from Ian's recipe and tried one from The Bloomsbury Cookbook: Recipes for Life, Love and Art!

Now I have a burnt stainless steel saucepan. I've just put some boiling water on it and I guess I'll add some washing soda and simmer it for a while. Not sure how else to get rid of it.

Most of the pots are ok, just two I think have got some burnt peel, and fortunately the burnt taste hasn't permeated the whole batch. I'd only done one kg of fruit this year, so at least it's not a massive waste.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Oh how annoying :hug:
They used to say biological washing powder or a dishwasher tablet would dissolve it ... I have resorted to a hammer and chisel in the past :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Yes, it's really a pain ... ha, hammer and chisel :lol:

Now it's all in the jars I can see the odd bit of burnt peel. It was mainly for giving away to friends, not sure if I'll still be able to :(

Oh well. Too bad!! I'll just have to warn them!
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Just call it "Caramelised Orange Marmalade" ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 11th, 2018, 6:17 pm

suffolk wrote:Just call it "Caramelised Orange Marmalade" ;)

Good idea :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 14th, 2018, 12:23 pm

:D :tu:

It's happened to me KC2. It wasn't competition standard but it had a lovely flavour. As for the pan, dishwasher tablets do the trick.

I usually make at least two batches and enter the Dalmain House International Marmalade Competition but not sure I'll have time this year.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Glad I'm not the only numpty :lol:

I bottled it without scraping off the burnt bits from the bottom of the pan and I think it's ok although there are still some bits of peel that are a bit black that you can see through the glass.
Fortunately the washing soda I had cleaned the pan.
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 19th, 2018, 11:15 am

If you have any left-over seville oranges, this is delicious ....
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/no-chur ... -ice-cream

The recipe calls for a 2 ltr container - I had 3 small sevilles, used 300 ml cream and less icing sugar and it easily fits into a 1 ltr container - I think 2 ltr may be too big, even for the full recipe. I'm not sure how much 8 cups are.
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 19th, 2018, 11:32 am

KC2 wrote:If you have any left-over seville oranges, this is delicious ....
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/no-chur ... -ice-cream

The recipe calls for a 2 ltr container - I had 3 small sevilles, used 300 ml cream and less icing sugar and it easily fits into a 1 ltr container - I think 2 ltr may be too big, even for the full recipe. I'm not sure how much 8 cups are.

8 cups are equivalent to 2 litres, give or take a few mls, depending on whether it's American or Australian cups!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » January 19th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Ah, cheers :tu:
I can cope with Imperial or Metric with no problems but I'm afraid cups defeat me every time! I have to look up the conversions whenever a recipe calls for them. I avoid American recipes when possible!
KC2
Registered

Return to The Kitchen