Endive/Chicory

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Endive/Chicory

Postby Zosherooney » January 24th, 2018, 6:33 pm

We are enjoying a half kilo of 'white gold' bought in France last week for a euro. It's a veg I had never eaten before last week and only had brief knowledge of it. I seem to remember back in the mists of time, coffee being made out of chicory ? Tonight we will have a small starter of chicory, walnut oil, apple and nuts. :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Endive/Chicory

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2018, 6:41 pm

There always used to be bowls of 'forced' chicory leaves on the salad table at school. I love the bitterness of it but it's not something I see very often and my partner isn't partial to it.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 24th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Coffee can be mixed with or replaced by roast and ground chicory root, I expect that you have chicons (the torpedo shaped immature shoots)
I had a cup of "coffee" in Zagreb a few months ago that was actually chicory I did wonder why there were two different coffees on offer, I think the other was the usual kind.

Mum used to wrap them in ham and serve baked in cheese sauce, quite nice, haven't don it in years
The internet is awash with recipes, here's and examples

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/braised-endive-with-ham-and-gruyere-368609
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 24th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I think chicory 'coffee' is quite popular in some parts - I also remember in my wholefood restaurant days (end of the '70's) that Barleycup was an acceptable drink for those who didn't want tea or coffee (because of the caffeine or politics in production). I see they still make it .. cereals and chicory root http://barleycup.com/.

I love chicory in a salad .. with walnut oil :chops: :chops: . You've picked what to me, is a very nice way of serving it. The individual leaves make good 'boats' to put some kind of filling in too. My grandmother used to do the rolled in ham and cheese sauce thing and for years I thought I didn't like chicory. In recent times I have realised that it is the combination of ham and cheese sauce which I dislike.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 24th, 2018, 7:32 pm

We love chicory and buy it often ... it's usually available at Waitrose ... we eat it as a salad and braised ... delicious with pork chops :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2018, 8:09 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I also remember in my wholefood restaurant days (end of the '70's) that Barleycup was an acceptable drink for those who didn't want tea or coffee

Also known as barleycrap - awful stuff - it had to be made at double strength for the flavour to be any where near acceptible. I much preferred dandelion coffee (preferably 'lanes'). Thank heavens for the rise of good decaf!
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Camp Coffee is a rave from the grave... just remembered it.....Wiki paints a nice picture....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 24th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Try endive salad with pear and Saint Agur
Last edited by Catherine on January 24th, 2018, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 24th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Catherine wrote:Try endive salad with Saint Agur

:drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 25th, 2018, 8:04 am

Do you think it will work with roquefort ? I have some left from France? Don't have any pears but do have an Pink Lady ?

Last nights starter (small) was chopped endive, spring onion, apple, toasted walnuts, small cubes of brown bread dabbed with sweet mustard and drizzled with walnut oil. Mr. Z commented on it in a positive way. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 25th, 2018, 9:56 am

I love endive and nearly always have it in the fridge in the winter. A gratin od edive and ham is a favourite lunch dish and, as Suffs says braised endive is a lovely vegetable dish, A favourite salad is shredded with orange segments and walnuts ans sometimes raw sliced Paris mushrooms, Individual leaves make excellent scoops ofr dips or as a container for starters, like smoked mackerel.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 25th, 2018, 10:16 am

I would think roquefort would be even better than St Agur
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 25th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Do you think it will work with roquefort ? I have some left from France? Don't have any pears but do have an Pink Lady ?

Last nights starter (small) was chopped endive, spring onion, apple, toasted walnuts, small cubes of brown bread dabbed with sweet mustard and drizzled with walnut oil. Mr. Z commented on it in a positive way. :tu:

Yes Roquefort works well too....any blue cheese does really.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » January 25th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Crumbled Roquefort and finely diced pears mixed together and put into an endive leaf makes a delicious canapé. I also use them as an edible spoon for starters with different combinations, like Rat.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » January 25th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Luca wrote:Crumbled Roquefort and finely diced pears mixed together and put into an endive leaf makes a delicious canapé. I also use them as an edible spoon for starters with different combinations, like Rat.

Absolutely. A lunch I sometimes make for the ids is a small bowl each of very think cheese sauce with cooked tender stem broccoli, cooked fine green beans, asparagus and separated endive leaves to dip in and some strips of pitta. They love it
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 28th, 2018, 7:53 am

Part of Y'days lunch plate was endive 'spoons' (mine) roquefort, slice of pear, toasted walnut pieces and a drizzle of walnut oil. He had a mild goats cheese I doubt he would have even tried it if it was roquefort. They were delish. :chops:

Double bonus - the pears had been reduced in the Co-op. :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 28th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Have a 'Two Fat Ladies' recipe for a sort-of coffee version of Eton Mess that uses Camp Coffee. Love the bottles... :luv:

I like chicory heads wrapped in streaky bacon or Serrano ham, drizzled with oil and grated parmesan and baked in the oven. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 28th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Pa's favourite cake was always coffee & walnut, with the cake and buttercream both flavoured with lots of Camp :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 28th, 2018, 6:59 pm

suffolk wrote:Pa's favourite cake was always coffee & walnut, with the cake and buttercream both flavoured with lots of Camp :)

My absolute favourite cake.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 28th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Mine too! I used to always use Camp for baking and it was lovely (I don't bake so much now so a bottle lasts too long). Last weekend I had coffee and walnut cake in a cafe (small cafe with cakes made on premises) - disappointed as it was one of those that is just a coffee cake with one walnut per slice on top. I like pieces of walnut in the cake as well. Anyway, this cake was nice but had a strange added taste which wasn't coffee or walnut but I couldn't work out what it was. :? I did wonder about chicory but I don't think it was that either.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 28th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Roquefort ( or Gorgonzola, or Stilton) mixed with a little cream and some finely diced celery on the end of the endive. Walnuts go well, as does Beetroot chutney.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 29th, 2018, 6:12 pm

I just adore coffee cake, especially with walnuts. It was my mum's favorite too. :chops: :chops:

And coffee ice cream (which seems sadly to be out of fashion).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 29th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Seatallan wrote:And coffee ice cream (which seems sadly to be out of fashion).

You can get it in Sainburys and Waitrose and I think Asda
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 30th, 2018, 6:46 am

There is a pub in deepest Wiltshire which, when it was run well, used to sell, as a dessert, more than a dash of Amaretto in a cocktail glass (one of those sort of cone shaped ones) with a generous scoop of good coffee ice cream on top and a blob of cream. As you ate the ice cream and it began to melt, each spoonful became more boozy. It was out of this world!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 30th, 2018, 6:48 am

:drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen