Welsh

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Welsh

Postby Zosherooney » January 30th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Whilst in France recently we came across a 'Welsh'....... We asked and it turns out it is the french take on welsh rarebit. Nothing like the WR that I am familiar with. I can remember my Mum cooking it for lunch sometimes - one of Dad's favourites. No two were ever the same, cheese, onion, mustard, egg. The french ones looked more like a croque monsieur (sandwich).

So what is your take on WR ? Any unusual twists ? Family traditions ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Welsh

Postby Seatallan » January 30th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Oooh I love a Welsh Rabbit! :chops: :chops:

I like to include a slug of beer and a dash of Worcestershire sauce in the mixture but however it comes is fine by me. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 30th, 2018, 8:00 pm

I looked for a French recipe, Marmiton has many, but most seem to be recognisably un toast topped with something cheesy, so yours may have been a local aberration. Many even use beer (biere brun, dark beer)

http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recherche.aspx?aqt=welsh

However, I notice that most insert ham between the cheese and the toast, and although many use cheddar, several specify le chester, which as Elizabeth David remarked 60 years ago, is an English cheese known only to the French :D (Cheshire of course)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 30th, 2018, 8:07 pm

I make a thick roux with beer adding mustard and Worcestershire sauce with the cheese. Toast one side of bread then spread this on the other and grill
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 30th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Being vegan for many years I have never eaten WR or cooked it for anyone else, including my Welsh ex! I have always drooled at the thought of it though so will keep an eye on this thread for ideas.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 31st, 2018, 8:19 am

ah yes. Le Welsh!

Sorry off at a tangent but do you remember the Franco-Welsh restaurant in SN, Sue? I can't remember what it was called.

Back on track, I don't make it often (too lazy) but at the moment it's often on pub menus and I am always tempted.

p.s. I don't think Welsh rarebit is really Welsh, is it?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 31st, 2018, 10:32 am

I always thank that WR, Croque Monseiur etc are rather a faff at home - a lot of washing up for something on toast. However, delicious when out .. you don't see WR on offer often do you?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » January 31st, 2018, 11:32 am

Mine´s the same as Catherine´s. Beer, Lea & P, and a thick roux.
You can make a big lot of it, then freeze what you don´t use. I did that for my son´s wedding party - I froze enough for 360 canapes. Works just fine!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 31st, 2018, 11:51 am

Herbidacious wrote:Sorry off at a tangent but do you remember the Franco-Welsh restaurant in SN, Sue? I can't remember what it was called.

When are we thinking? I'm not sure about the Welsh. Chez Jacques on the High Street or Mesclun on Church Street? Chez Jacques was long time ago so more likely Mesclun,, that all ended in tears
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 31st, 2018, 12:10 pm

Early 2000s, Sue. About half way up Church St on the left. Might have been where Pronto Pizza is now. It was on a corner. It was a perfect combo for my Welsh Francophile husband!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 31st, 2018, 1:42 pm

Hmm.. Pronto Pizza has been there at least 25 years, it's a fixture. The other obvious corner site is the strangely popular Cilicia, corner of Defor Road, I can't remember the name of the place there before but that could be it (Cilicia is vaguely middle eastern)
Corner cuts it down, might have been Alastair's in the back of the Defoe pub and later near William Patten School? I'll look on Amir's list of Church Street businesses later
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 31st, 2018, 2:12 pm

I'm with KK and Catherine, except i also add some mustard. I also like a poached egg on top which makes it into Buck Rarebit.

Quite honestly I don't find making it a faff at all

If you are interested:
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/201 ... sh-rabbit/
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 31st, 2018, 2:14 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Mine´s the same as Catherine´s. Beer, Lea & P, and a thick roux.
You can make a big lot of it, then freeze what you don´t use. I did that for my son´s wedding party - I froze enough for 360 canapes. Works just fine!

That's how our local pub used to make it ... there was always a plastic box of it in the fridge. Welsh rarebit was popular with a lunchtime pint.

I always add a beaten egg to my mixture ... it firms it up a bit so that you can spread it thicker without it running off the toast and all over the grill pan as it cooks.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 31st, 2018, 5:50 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I also like a poached egg on top which makes it into Buck Rarebit.

I do that sometimes too. The other thing I've occasionally done is to carefully break open the egg onto the bread and cover it with the roux before grilling. It comes out a bit like a variation on Swiss Eggs. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 31st, 2018, 6:32 pm

All these ideas sound lush, I shall be experimenting soon when I am fed up with bread and cheese for lunch and I do have my hens eggs !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 31st, 2018, 6:47 pm

There's a Gary Rhodes recipe, only made it once should do it again. He makes the cheese mix in bulk and then moulds a piece, rather like working with Plasticine, to cover the bread or fish, he used it to top smoked haddock :chops:

Thus seems to be the recipe
https://www.pc-pals.com/smf/index.php?topic=33545.0

@Herbi - I checked Amir's list of all businesses on Chuch Street, before it was Cilical it was Milward's / Park Bar and Brasserie (same prople I think but they changed the name)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen