Frozen fish

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Frozen fish

Postby Gruney » January 31st, 2018, 6:03 pm

I recently bought some frozen cod fillets - Youngs - which the instructions say are best cooked from frozen, either baked in a foil parcel, or microwaved. It had not crossed my mind that you should cook anything from frozen.

My favourite way of cooking fish fillets is to pan fry, and I frequently buy haddock fillets from Morrisons, which has an excellent fish counter, with really pleasant staff. The fillets can sometimes be enormous, and need to be cut into two, to fit in the pan. Depending on how I feel, I may freeze. one of the pieces. Because I don't always know what I fancy in advance, it would be great if I could put a fillet straight fom the freezer into the pan, if that's how the spirit moved me at the time.

Is this a goer, please - and if so, any tips?

TIA.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Frozen fish

Postby suffolk » January 31st, 2018, 6:06 pm

Yes, I often cook fish from frozen ... just be careful not to overcook. :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 31st, 2018, 6:10 pm

Thanks Suffs - that's good news.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 31st, 2018, 6:55 pm

Yes, agree with Suffs
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 31st, 2018, 7:26 pm

Thanks Sue. I've just microwaved the Young's fillet, per their instructions - what a wretched scratty little thing you end up with. I know what I'll be doing in future!
Gruney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 31st, 2018, 9:10 pm

I try not to buy frozen fish as sometimes you cannot judge how much is ice and how much is fish.... hence your comment above. :| Having said that, I have bought fish frozen from Wing Yip and mainly prawns and have been pleasantly surprised of the fish content.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 1st, 2018, 4:17 pm

Being the crazy cat lady that I am I often used to buy frozen white fish fillets for my two and steam them straight from the freezer. As already said, it is easy to overcook and usually shrivelled up to half the size but I wonder if that was due to quality/price paid. My boblets never complained!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen