Pancakes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Pancakes

Postby Ratatouille » February 2nd, 2018, 12:57 pm

As I mentioned elsewhere today is Chandeleur - Candlemass. Offically the end of the Christmas season.

In France this means pancakes! There are other goodies for Shrove Tuesday! It is considered necessary to hold a Louis d'Or in the palm of your right hand while tossing said pancakes, or in my case Dad's lucky silver sixpence.

What are your favourite pancake recipes? Traditional or off the wall.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Pancakes

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2018, 1:36 pm

We like a savoury pancake with a slice of good English smoked ham and a slice of Emmental cheese tucked inside :chops:

For a sweet one, plain lemon juice and a sprinkling of sugar is hard to beat IMHO :chops: ..... or is my favourite a drizzle of golden syrup and a dollop of clotted cream ? :drool:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 2nd, 2018, 2:26 pm

2018 is the first year since becoming vegan as a teenager where I am going to indulge in pancakes. This evening in fact. I remember enjoying them with sugar and lemon juice only, whilst mum and sister would smother them with other goodies such as Nutella. I had a disastrous attempt at making vegan pancakes, once and once only! I am going to try them tonight with sliced mango, banana and coconut kulfi. In my mind that should work. I understand why people would eat pancakes at other times of the year other than Shrove Tuesday as right now i can imagine they would be superb with summer strawberries and whipped cream. I have never tried savoury pancakes so it will be interesting to read favourites of those here.

I have just remembered I have two batter mixes in the cupboard to experiment with!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm

Enjoy Tezza :D :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 2nd, 2018, 4:11 pm

I used to face Shrove Tuesday as a child with utter dread. Every single year without fail my grandmother (grandparents lived with us and Nanna did all the cooking) made savoury pancakes for dinner which were filled with chicken and mushroom in a white sauce, followed by pancakes with lemon and sugar. EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!!! - I hate pancakes. My Nanna was a firm believer in 2 choices for dinner, take it or leave it, so I went hungry. I tried again a couple of years ago to see if I had changed my mind, but no, I really don't them. Its the same with crumpets.

My Nephews like them though and last year I made a lasagne but using pancakes instead of lasagne. they really liked that followed by a sweet one with various toppings of lemon and sugar, maple syrup, Nutella, bonne mama toffee spread thing, mini marshmallows and squirty cream.
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 2nd, 2018, 5:45 pm

I'm not over-excited by pancakes really although I'll eat them. I am terribly boring and like them best anything from thin to crepe-like (i.e. not great thick American pancakes) served with sugar and lemon, maple syrup or as Crepes Suzette.

Since having a waffle maker I have experimented with waffle mixtures, which are similar to pancakes with a baking agent added in the American pancake way. The ones I really love are tweaked potato waffles which are a batter mix with added mashed potato and grated cheese. Much lighter and fluffier than ordinary waffles, I suspect that the same mixture would make very nice savoury pancakes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 2nd, 2018, 6:31 pm

Does anyone know if cooked pancakes can be frozen if you've made too many?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2018, 6:53 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Does anyone know if cooked pancakes can be frozen if you've made too many?

I make too many deliberately in order to freeze, but it's best too interleave them with greaseproof paper, cling film, or foil or they may thaw to a single doughy mass
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 2nd, 2018, 10:52 pm

Not quite a pancake but the same batter mix ! https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... sons-pizza

Made me smile :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 3rd, 2018, 12:54 am

Love the link Zosh! I'll study it more in the morning when I'm not trying to fight off drooling from interfering with sleep. :lol:

I wondered about individually clinging surplus. I'll do that in the morning too.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » February 3rd, 2018, 6:20 am

Not all that keen on the thin pancakes but I love scotch pancakes and make them frequently for breakfast and have them just with butter and maybe a little drop of maple syrup.

Cheers
NLB :tu:

PS: there's no chance of me freezing any not eaten ones as there ain't such a thing :lol:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 3rd, 2018, 10:05 am

StokeySue wrote:I make too many deliberately in order to freeze, but it's best too interleave them with greaseproof paper, cling film, or foil or they may thaw to a single doughy mass

Exactly what I was going to say. I made a batch the other day so that Mr S has some for Shrove Tuesday and froze them. They're fine if you make sure they're interleaved.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 3rd, 2018, 11:27 am

My son loves pancakes for breakfast, so when ever I make a batch, I make a BIG batch. Those not eaten are packed into bags in the freezer, then removed 2 at a time and microwaved for 2 minutes.
There was a time when pancakes ( or crepes) were the "in" thing at weddings here. Spinach and ricotta, Chicken and sweetcorn, cheese and leek were the classics.
They´d work beautifully well filled with shredded chicken and a Mole Poblano sauce!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » February 3rd, 2018, 3:54 pm

garlic mushroom. i used to do them in a sauce made with condensed mushroom soup, but adding cream or a little cream cheese would be ok.
scullion
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » February 3rd, 2018, 5:56 pm

Don't know if it's still there but there was a great pancake house in central London called My Old Dutch and the whole menu was savoury and sweet pancakes. Went there many times, not far from Holborn tube station.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby scullion » February 3rd, 2018, 7:20 pm

I used to go there when I was at college - loved it, loved the plates, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 3rd, 2018, 8:27 pm

My oOld Dutch still going in Holborn, and the Kensington and King's Road branches too. Apparently been open since 1958!
http://www.myolddutch.com

I love the creperies in France - light lunch for me and OH when travelling, a galette (buckwheat pancake) each with savoury filling, shared salad, and a shared sweet crepe if we had room and tgey looked good
We have a new creperie in Dalston that looks promising
La Petite Bretagne, seems there's another in Hammersmith

http://www.lapetitebretagne.co.uk
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 3rd, 2018, 8:36 pm

StokeySue wrote:We have a new creperie in Dalston that looks promising
La Petite Bretagne, seems there's another in Hammersmith

http://www.lapetitebretagne.co.uk

Yes Sue, we've been to the one in Hammersmith - it was very good, small and friendly. Its location isn't that great, on the one-way system opposite the Hammersmith & City/Circle line station and I've never seen it packed, although it probably is at lunchtimes. a friend's son used to work there part-time and apparently the people that run it are very nice. We dropped in on the way back from something mid-evening-ish as we knew there wasn't anything nice to eat at home!
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 3rd, 2018, 11:09 pm

Thanks KC2, I'll give it a go
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen