Vindaloo

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Vindaloo

Postby Pepper Pig » February 8th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Felicity's had a go.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... loo-recipe

I've never had it in its English form. Is daft because the hotter the better for me. This is different.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Vindaloo

Postby karadekoolaid » February 8th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Definitely pork. Definitely spicy hot. Definitely plenty of vinegar ( and I´d surmise the vinegar from the C16th was from red wine) and lots of garlic. Onions to add to the texture. No tomatoes - I don´t think they work with this dish. List of spices looks good to me, although if the dish is originally from Goa, why use (northern) Kashmiri chiles?
My only other question is: why the heck didn´t she look at Camelia Panjabi, Anjum Anand, Maunikha Gouwardhan, Sanjeev Kapour....... or ANYONE except Rick Stein and Lizzie Collingham? Did she want to make a "British" vindaloo, or an "Authentic" vindaloo? For me, the first is far from "perfect" - just a standard curry gravy with loads of chile sauce in it.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 8th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Camelia Panjabi's recipe is very good.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 9th, 2018, 9:58 am

miss mouse wrote:Camelia Panjabi's recipe is very good.

That´s the recipe I´m using for a lunch party tomorrow! The only difference is that I don´t use hot chiles (Venezuelans don´t eat "hot" food) - I use something called a "sweet" chile. Same flavour, no heat.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 17th, 2018, 7:48 am

I also do not make vindaloo, or anything else for that matter, too hot, except very few special dishes. Like Clive, I use sweet paprika for flavour and colour and :D a little bit of chilli. To me, food that is too hot, drowns every other flavour and taste.
Vindaloo or Phal are not for me :o !
Mamta
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 18th, 2018, 3:18 pm

I happened to catch an episode of Indian Food Made Easy on the Food Channel last week. The presenter, an Indian was very scathing about Vindaloo.
Personally I cannot eat anything too hot
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 18th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I also use Camelia Panjabi's recipe.
It is spicy and aromatic rather than hot.

I also enjoy her patia recipe but I add a bit of amchoor for the extra sourness.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 18th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I've really enjoyed reading up on vindaloo. Very interesting! I've never made one but am tempted to try one with tofu or chick peas. This looks good.

https://ohmyveggies.com/tofu-vindaloo/
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 18th, 2018, 7:24 pm

As others have said, Camelia Panjabi's Vindaloo was not overly hot,the degree of hotness was optional.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 19th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Tezza:
The veggie vindaloo looks fine, although I agree with you; it´d work even better with chickpeas.
On the recipe blog, it seems that the writer believes that Vindaloo has potatoes in it.
A "classic" Goan vindaloo doesn´t-
The origin of the name comes from Portuguese: "vin" - vinegar and "alho" - garlic. There´s a typical dish in Portugal where the meat ( and I believe it´s usually pork) is cooked with these two ingredients. Even though "aloo" means "potato", it´s a misconception to think that the name is made with potatoes. It´s like calling kalonji, or nigella "onion seeds".
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 19th, 2018, 2:10 pm

That's my understanding too kka, I remember a slightly acrimonious discussion of the etymology of Vindaloo some years back

I think Mr Todiwalla (who cheffed in Goa for many years) gives the Portuguese explanation
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » February 19th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Mamta wrote:I also do not make vindaloo, or anything else for that matter, too hot, except very few special dishes. Like Clive, I use sweet paprika for flavour and colour and :D a little bit of chilli. To me, food that is too hot, drowns every other flavour and taste.
Vindaloo or Phal are not for me :o !

No argument from me on that score - anything too hot wastes the taste of the meat or vegetables.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 20th, 2018, 1:37 am

I am a hot food fanatic. In fact, I´ve even given presentations on chiles and organised tasting sessions on hot food. Too hot for some doesn´t necessarily mean too hot for others. Chileheads like me tend to develop higher resistance over time, but that doesn´t imply the hotter the better!
I think the hottest thing I ever tried was a Thai Green Curry. Within minutes, I was perspiring profusely. Then a few years back, in Masala Zone in Covent Garden, I tried their Kadai Paneer which was also pretty vicious! Plenty of chapatti and yoghurt made that tolerable, however.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen