Combatting cloves.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Combatting cloves.

Postby Gruney » February 10th, 2018, 7:49 am

Yesterday, I made a "Jollof " - comprising sweet potatoes, pearl barley and chestnuts; and a couple of flavourings - chiefly cloves. I have enough left for two as a main, or three as a decent sized side. I didn't really like it.

Firstly there's the consistency - a bit slimey and gluey - barley and chestnuts, I imagine. I'm sure I can get round this with some crunchy additions, but the chief problem is the overpowering flavour of cloves. I'm trying to think of something to stand up to this, using the jollof as a side, but am a bit bereft. Any ideas please?

I
Gruney
Registered

Re: Combatting cloves.

Postby Suelle » February 10th, 2018, 8:36 am

Like you, I'm always reluctant to throw away food, but it's hard to see how you could rescue this. Trying to dilute the flavour of the cloves will just make more for you to eat and may not work.

My only thought is stirring in some curry paste.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2018, 8:45 am

I don't like wasting food ... but this weather I'd put it on the lawn for the blackbirds with a clear conscience and eat something I like instead ... life's too short to be a human dustbin ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 10th, 2018, 8:49 am

Yes - I think you're both right Thanks for trying to help me.
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2018, 8:52 am

Oh dear, cloves are so distinctive aren't they! I agree with Sue that it could be false economy to add more ingredients but if I were to persevere I think I'd add a good amount of plain boiled rice and try that, than add salt and 'crunchy things' to taste.

It is kind to feed the birds in winter :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2018, 10:05 am

Agree, chuck it
I'm intrigued as to where you got the recipe, as it seems to be made entirely of European ingredients, substituting barley for the usual rice in the West African original?
Here's a conventional recipe - no cloves! According to the preamble it is probably the origin of jambalaya
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/jollof_rice_with_fried_79619
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 10th, 2018, 10:29 am

Thanks both. The recipe is from "Ultimate Slow Cooker", by Sara Lewis, and is titled "Sweet potato and chestnut jollof".
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2018, 10:33 am

In that case I'd be inclined to chuck the book as well - strange to so completely misappropriate a recipe from another culture Why on earth did she decide to call it jollof :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 10th, 2018, 11:52 am

Sounds truly awful to me, Gruney.
Sweet potato and (sweetish) pearl barley and sweet chestnuts?
As a spice, cloves can be very imposing. If they´re left whole ( as they often are in Indian cuisine), then they impart a nice flavour and can be pushed to the edge of the plate rather than eaten. However,if the spice is ground, a tiny amount (1/8th tsp) is often enough.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 10th, 2018, 12:09 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Sounds truly awful to me, Gruney.

It was ! - it was one of those days when you don't know what you fancy, and are looking through your books. I thought it might make a nice change; I followed the recipe word for word. I know better now, and have learned you can't be cavalier with cloves.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen