Flapjack ideas please

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Flapjack ideas please

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 18th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Off to my uncle's house this weekend and I'd like to take a treat for us to have with coffee. I'm thinking flapjacks.

I have muesli, butter, apples, bananas, plenty of mixed nuts, sugar, no golden syrup though.

Does anyone have a good recipe, or is it just as simple as chuck it all in a saucepan, melt and then bake in a tray?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Flapjack ideas please

Postby Suelle » February 18th, 2018, 11:05 pm

You have to get the proportions of butter, sweeteners (usually a mixture of sugar and some type of syrup) and oats correct or you end up with something that doesn't stick together, or oozes excess fat after baking, or goes wrong in other ways. I haven't made flapjacks without syrup so can't recommend a recipe.

With the ingredients you have, try looking for cereal (or muesli) bar recipes rather than flapjacks - it's possible the bananas can be used to help bind the mixture, but you might need an egg too.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 19th, 2018, 7:50 am

Or muffins?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 19th, 2018, 7:51 am

Thanks Suelle for your tips. I'm thinking if this is going to work I will need syrup. Also, after a recipe search I realise my peanut butter could also be included. I can't find a definitive t&t recipe online though so might just work out a basic recipe and make it up as I go along. :scared:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 19th, 2018, 7:57 am

Most people like my basic flapjack recipe - Ian even put it on his website:

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... pjack.html

Instead of the first 3 ingredients, use the same amount of nuts and/or dried fruit of your choice. You can add spices and citrus zest too, if you have it.

I've never made flapjacks with fresh fruit - I think that would be a completely different recipe.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 22nd, 2018, 6:52 am

I like your recipe Suelle. Thank you. I'll use those measurements as a guideline seeing as it is so popular, minus the fresh fruit now as I have eaten most of it! I can take my time on it as I am no longer going to my uncle's this weekend. Kitten duties call instead! :luv:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Cinnamon Sally » February 22nd, 2018, 4:48 pm

I often make coconut flapjacks from a recipe originally found on the back of a quaker oats packet and have never gone wrong.

Just found it online - https://www.quaker.co.uk/oat-and-porrid ... t-flapjack
Cinnamon Sally
Registered

Return to The Kitchen