No cook cakes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

No cook cakes

Postby Ratatouille » February 20th, 2018, 9:52 am

I mentioned elsewhere that i was going to make a refridgerator cake to use up some bits I unearthed.

I used a recipe on a tatty bit of newspaper found inside another cook book, It turned out very well despite me, as usual not sticking to the recipe.
We think it turned out rather well but U have had to hide it because of Mr R's total inability to have only one piece at a time :rolleyes:
I used 2x 200g bars of 65% chocolate
2 tbs syrup
A nob of butter
4 breton sable biscuits (the recipe said 2 digestives)
75 grms macadamia nuts ( these were slightly salted )
125g amerena cherries (drained) The recipe said marascino cherries

Melt the chocolate over simmering water, sitr in the butter until melted then the syrup. The fold in the rest of the ingredients and spread into a suitable tin - the mixture should be in a layer about 2.5cms deep. Place in the fridge to set then cut into squares.
Last edited by Ratatouille on February 20th, 2018, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: No cook cakes

Postby suffolk » February 20th, 2018, 10:07 am

Oooh I'm a great fan of refrigerator cakes .......... however they do have to be sliced and frozen and only brought out in individual portions! :terrified:

That sounds good :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 20th, 2018, 10:52 am

This is a very successful no-cook chocolate cheesecake recipe I got from my friend. I think she got it off a cream cheese packet ages ago.

I use ginger nuts instead of digestives for the base and always make half quantities as it fits perfectly into a Waitrose quiche container - I have been saving them for ages and am very glad to put them to good use!

Base
150g digestive biscuits - blitzed to crumbs or near enough. (My friend uses double chocolate chip biscuits.)
30g butter melted and cooled slightly

Filling
2 X 180g soft cheese (philadelphia or classic Goldessa - Lidl) - full fat
50g icing sugar
250g white chocolate – I use Tesco's own brand

You can top it with assorted berries if you like.

Method
1. Mix biscuit crumbs with melted butter and press into loose bottomed cake tin. Then put in fridge for at least 30 mins to set.

2. Mix cream cheese and icing sugar in a bowl. Melt the chocolate gently over a saucepan of water. Once melted mix with cream cheese mixture and spread over the biscuit base. Leave in the fridge until ready to serve and cooled and set.

3. Hey presto you have it. You could do half these quantities with 1 pack of cheese - the original recipe was for a big one - double these quantities and serving 18 people!

Enjoy!!
KC2
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 20th, 2018, 11:25 am

Can you call it a “No Cook” cake if you are using precooked ingredients like biscuits? Or if you have to use the stove to melt things? :D

[/pedant mode] ;j

I used to make a cake from Maryland cookies which were briefly dipped in a bowl of black coffee and sherry or brandy, then stuck back in a row with whipped cream. Covered in whipped cream and sprinkled with chopped nuts and chocolate or dusted with cocoa.

I also do the quick key lime pie. Whipped cream and condensed milk with lime juice to thicken it, placed on a base of digestive crumbs.

One thing I worked out when doing chocolate cheesecake was that crushed Oreo biscuits hold together better than digestives. The creme filling acts as a binder. Makes the cake more stable if it has to be transported elsewhere before serving. Like a church tea!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Suelle » February 20th, 2018, 11:30 am

A really retro dessert - gingernut biscuits layered, or arranged in a log shape, sandwiched and covered with whipped double cream.

A few years ago, a friend made one of these, previously not seen since the 70s, and it was delicious! :D
Last edited by Suelle on February 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for clarity
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 20th, 2018, 12:13 pm

This is a good thread to keep a eye on for when my oven packs up and i need cake!

I don't think I have ever eaten refridgerator cake but do like the sound of that recipe. I did make a no bake cheesecake when I was taking F&N for my exams at school. It had a plain base, pretty plain filling and was topped with tinned mandarin segments. The height of sophistication! I was chuffed with it and family members were always asking me to make another one for family gatherings. I've always fancied making a key lime pie. :drool:

Waitrose used to make dried fruit and nut cakes on their deli. They were wrapped in individual slices and were divine. Full of figs! They would have been no bake and probably easy to work out how to replicate by looking at the label. I haven't been in a Waitrose for ages. They could still sell them. Usually by the cheeses.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 20th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I haven't made a refrigerator cake in decades, the version we used to make was called Tiffin, and had more biscuit and less fruit
You occasionally get a version in Nation Trust tea rooms and similar

Here's a classic Tiffin recipe
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7451/chocolate-tiffin.aspx

it has always puzzled me that it's called Tiffin, which in Anglo-Indian terms is a portable or light meal (think of those tiered tiffin carriers), it seems a bigger jump from a packed lunch to a refrigerator cake even than from khichri to kedgeree, but the online OED just gives both definitions without comment
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 20th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Suelle wrote:A really retro dessert - gingernut biscuits layered, or arranged in a log shape, sandwiched and covered with whipped double cream.

A few years ago, a friend made one of these, previously not seen since the 70s, and it was delicious! :D

Since I got some Crabbies Green Ginger before Christmas I have made Ginger roll several times which is simpley ginger nut biscuits, dipped in
the wine then sandwiches together with whipped cream then decorated with chopped candied/stem ginger. A French guest went banana for it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 20th, 2018, 1:21 pm

You are of course right Aero. They should be called no-bake cakes.

Mary Berry's lemon ginger cheesecake - an essential standby is one such treasure.

Sue, didn't there also used to be a Fry's(?) chocolate bad called Tiffin?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Sue, didn't there also used to be a Fry's(?) chocolate bad called Tiffin?

Yes, I don't remember it (withdrawn 1972 it seems) but the Sun has a good piece about it
https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/1177401/cadbury-to-relaunch-nostalgic-favourite-tiffin-bar-after-it-was-axed-more-than-ten-years-ago/

Eta as the bar was launched in 1937 that could be what the cake bar is named for, rather than directly for a curry lunch
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 20th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Oooh all those fridge cakes sound well :chops: :chops: :chops:

Suffs, I can imagine your white chocolate & peanut thingy would go well in a fridge cake.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 20th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Seatallan wrote:Oooh all those fridge cakes sound well :chops: :chops: :chops:

Suffs, I can imagine your white chocolate & peanut thingy would go well in a fridge cake.

Oooh, now there's a thought ........
And here's a recipe that appears to be very well thought of

https://www.today.com/recipes/queen-eli ... ke-t109969

It's along the lines of the one I make but I make mine in a loaf tin and the only extra bits I've ever added are little bits of chopped crystalised ginger

and I've never iced mine with chocolate ... just slice it up and serve.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » February 20th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I love these types of cake.

Upthread someone mentioned ginger biscuits and cream cheese/double cream...I used to have (maybe I still do :? ) a cookery book (M&S, or Cordon Bleu?) where these were arranged in a ring, possibly with tinned orange segments on top?
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 20th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Tiffin-type things seem very popular in cafes nowadays - I find them a bit rich. There is one recipe which uses marshmallows I think.

I remember the ginger biscuit and cream thing and how mad people used to be for it (it was a favourite of many when we used to cook for PTA suppers). I was never keen. I have an Australian Women's Weekly cookbook from circa 1970 which is full of things which were really popular in Australia at the time. I never cared for the no-bakes which used whole soggy biscuits but will look them out as there were quite a few.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 20th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Suelle wrote:A really retro dessert - gingernut biscuits layered, or arranged in a log shape, sandwiched and covered with whipped double cream.

I saw James Martin make this on TV and the kids were watching it too. Needless to say said cake was immediately made. It went down very well
Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 21st, 2018, 7:53 pm

I gave a piece of my cake to a French friend today and she absolutely fell apart for it saying there is absolutely nothing like it in France. Come to think of it I think she might probably right.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 21st, 2018, 8:22 pm

This is very, very good (and I don't have a sweet tooth :lol: ) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/162 ... ser-tiffin
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 21st, 2018, 8:45 pm

I've dug out the 1970 book tonight, all these were considered very good in Australia during the summer heat as the oven didn't have to go on. They seem so 70's - I'll write out recipes for any that people would like to see (it's been fun looking at the book again!). It's the Rocky Road recipe which has marshmallow - you have to make your own.

Coffee Cream Roll
Chocolate Caramel Crisps
Continental Chocolate Slice
Chocolate Fruit Squares
Mocha Rum Torte
Chocolate Peppermint Squares
Hazelnut Truffles
Rum Balls

Then there are crumb crust pies:
Lemon Cream
Chocolate Rum
Apricot Cheese

... and a dessert called 'Biscotten Torte' which is a biscuit and cream concoction containing rum and almond flavouring.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 22nd, 2018, 12:39 am

I'd be interested in the chocolate peppermint squares recipe please. Sends me back to when I learnt how to make peppermint creams (icing sugar, green colouring, peppermint flavouring) which I thought could be made a bit more exciting by dipping in chocolate. Yum yum!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

Chocolate Peppermint Squares (note - I cannot vouch for what they are like, being an old recipe it is in old measurements and contains raw egg. It says it makes 3 dozen so the recipe could probably be halved and made in a smaller tin).
The Australian cup used here = 8 fl oz. If you have a measuring cup with fl oz marked on it you pour in the ingredient to that level to get 1 cup

Base:
4oz butter
3 dessertspoons cocoa
1/2 cup castor sugar (4oz)
1 egg - beaten
few drops of vanilla
1 cup of coconut (2.5 oz)
1/2 cup walnuts - chopped (2oz)
2 cups wheatmeal biscuit crumbs (it doesn't give weight conversion for crumbs in back of book but think around 4-6oz - see note above re using a measuring cup and use if you have one)

Filling
1oz solid white vegetable shortening
3 dessertspoons milk
1 cup icing sugar (5oz)
1/2 tsp peppermint essence

Topping
1oz butter
6oz dark chocolate

Combine the butter, cocoa and sugar in a saucepan, stir over a low heat until well blended. Remove from heat and add the beaten egg and vanilla. Stir in the coconut, chopped walnuts and biscuit crumbs; mix well.
Press into a greased 13" x 10" slab tin. Refrigerate until set.

Filling
Sift icing sugar, add melted shortening, milk and essence. Mix well.
When the base has set, spread the filling over it and return to refrigerator to firm.

Topping
Coarsely chop the chocolate, place in a basin with the butter. Stand basin in saucepan of boiling water until the chocolate and butter have melted - stirring occasionally.
When the base and filling have firmed/set in the fridge, smooth the chocolate topping over the top. refrigerate. When set, cut into squares.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 22nd, 2018, 5:54 pm

I noticed just now that Costa coffee have rather nice looking “Chocolate Tiffin”. Big pieces, so I went for a small square of millionaire’s shortbread. Very nice, good caramel layer Definitely worth checking ou
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 22nd, 2018, 6:48 pm

DS bought some of the Chocolate Tiffin for us to share in Costa the other day. I found it far too sweet and sickly but he and GD loved it, I think that it is quite a good one for those who like it. I certainly wouldn't enjoy eating a whole slice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 22nd, 2018, 7:05 pm

Delia does a delicious adult version of a refrigerator cake, which uses alcohol and cream. There's no syrup either, which cuts the sweetness a bit:

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/int ... r-cherries
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 22nd, 2018, 7:44 pm

Thanks for the peppermint cake recipe. I'm liking the sound of it but know I wouldn't be bothered to make it just for me. Lots of faffing, I think.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 22nd, 2018, 10:04 pm

Suelle - that looks very good indeed!
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen