Making tomato puree

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Making tomato puree

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 22nd, 2018, 7:37 am

I have a huge number of tinned plum tomatoes and would really like to make some thick tomato puree. I have hit a brick wall finding a recipe that sounds like it will turn my tomatoes into the texture I require which is like the stuff you buy in tubes and tins.

Does anyone have a recipe please?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Making tomato puree

Postby Pepper Pig » February 22nd, 2018, 8:00 am

That goes into my "Life's too short" category I'm afraid.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 22nd, 2018, 8:33 am

I don't think you'll achieve what you want, as I suspect the best way of getting homemade purée would be to slow bake/dry out fresh tomatoes in the oven, then blitz them in a processor.

I think the best you could do is cook down the tomatoes (and you might want to blitz them before cooking) until you have a reduced purée, then freeze in usable sized portions. You'll need to take care that the thickening purée doesn't stick to the pan.

As a measure to reduce the storage space your tinned tomatoes take up, it might be worth trying, but I really don't think it's worth the effort.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » February 22nd, 2018, 10:14 am

has your little kitchen area got kick boards at the bottom of the cupboards? if so pull back the kickboards and store the tinned tomatoes under there - it will save you cooking fuel trying to reduce the contents.
i call that space my floor larder.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 22nd, 2018, 11:42 am

Hmm, thanks all. Probably all of these are reasons why there aren't many recipes out there!

As for storage space, no other space in my tiny kitchen cupboards so they are piled up in the corner of my living room disguised with a pillow case and stuffed toy! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen