Southern fried chicken

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Southern fried chicken

Postby Pepper Pig » February 23rd, 2018, 9:44 am

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ed-chicken

(I have a weakness for KFC and we have a drive-thru just up the road). :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Southern fried chicken

Postby Meganthemog » February 23rd, 2018, 11:44 am

Pepper Pig wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/sep/06/how-cook-perfect-southern-fried-chicken

(I have a weakness for KFC and we have a drive-thru just up the road). :oops: :oops:

We had one last night - it's the only takeaway that we ever seem to get. Our local one is good as it is in a densely populated student area where the turnover is very fast - so it's always freshly cooked. I have some left overs in the fridge for lunch :hungry:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 23rd, 2018, 2:04 pm

I can remember my mother making Southern Fried Chicken once in the mid-60's. It was a huge event - she had got the recipe from an American newspaper and we had only ever had roast chicken as a celebratory treat before so frying was a new thing. We weren't overly impressed really and I have never made it from scratch. I avoid KFC - those urban myths of the 80's & 90's put me right off :lol:. The guys at work go there a lot - they do lovely chips.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 23rd, 2018, 3:07 pm

I lived in a shared house where KFC was always referred to as Kentucky Fried Lizard. We still ate it though!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 23rd, 2018, 5:09 pm

It is my real weakness, I confess that since the shortage was announced its all I want to eat :oops: . I have resisted so far..........it helps that its a 30 mile round trip at the moment! :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 23rd, 2018, 5:24 pm

I quite facy trying home made, her method is not a million miles away from what the HBs were shown when they investigated the history
My nearsst KFC was open and moderately busy at lunch time
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 23rd, 2018, 5:46 pm

I've never eaten it and never fancied it. Probably due to a friend constantly eating it and the smell of grease putting me off. Deep frying anything here in my tiny pad would be unpleasant I would imagine. I think I'd rather dry rub chicken in spices and bake.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm

It's the only "fast food" I really have weakness for, that said it must be 2 years+ since I had one. I used to get the M&S version as treat but they've changed it and it's now really greasy so that's off the menu. I do make it sometimes but seldom now the boys are away as it is right faff for one.
If anyone's going could they get me an original 3-piece meal with an orange juice please? :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 25th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Yes, KFC is the only takeway I like ... when I was having regular check ups at Hillingdon hospital, my treat to myself was a KFC for my lunch in Uxbridge on the way home. :tu: :chops: :hungry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 25th, 2018, 11:27 pm

Mr. Z. won't go near the place, so I have never indulged. I do like Nandos and their salads are good too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 26th, 2018, 8:20 am

I used to eat it occasionally in my teens, (a KFC opened in Tottenham high road near Bruce Grove) but hadn't had any for years. Mrs B told me she had never tried it but would like to. A few years ago, a KFC tribute company opened up in town, much to the chagrin of the local message boards ("The health food shop's gone, now there's a fried chicken place and an Asda, what's Ware coming to?" sort of thing). Anyway, I got a takeaway there last autumn. Nice enough, the lads in the shop were nice enough too. We rarely have takeaways, so goodness knows when we'd get around to going back there.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 26th, 2018, 10:43 am

Just came across an article from Food & Wine magazine, and this place popped up:
http://charlestonmag.com/features/how_to_fry_chicken
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen