Hot dogs

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Hot dogs

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 23rd, 2018, 5:43 pm

Do you like them, if so how, and which brand?

I love a veggie hot dog, and just a coincidence after watching James Martin this afternoon on ITV exploring some of the foods of Dallas, I found an unopened bag in the freezer that I forgot were there. Yippee! These are Sainsbury's which are pretty good!

Here's a link to James' own version of Sloppy Joe hot dogs with fried onion rings which made my belly rumble!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... rings.html

The corny dogs he discovered on his travels, mentioned in the link, did not make my belly rumble, neither did the deep fried butter!

I usually eat hot dogs boringly, although tasty, in a bun with gently sauteed onions, sometimes thinly sliced mushrooms, ketchup and English mustard. :hungry:

How do you eat yours?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Hot dogs

Postby suffolk » February 23rd, 2018, 6:42 pm

The best hot dogs in the world were those we ate at Framlingham Gala back in the day ... cheap white hot dog rolls, classic frankfurters that had been simmering in the brine from the tin, fried onions from a saucepan and squirty American mustard .............. :drool: :drool: :drool:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 23rd, 2018, 7:16 pm

Sometimes only cheapy hot dogs will do. A favourite of my Dad's when we were young was to head to a nearby loch. After hiking us kids for miles he'd light a small fire, pierce the tin then wodge it in the fire to heat through. I don't remember them being served with anything other than a buttered roll and some squash (usually lukewarm) but boy were they good. :drool: :D I'm less than keen on the tinned ones these days but partial to these in a finger roll with loads of fried onions and dijon :hungry:
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 23rd, 2018, 10:42 pm

I love Frankfurters and other similar kinds of sausage sometimes served in a bun as a hot dog but don't often have them. I think the slightly thick ones served in a decent sized long white roll with caramelised onions and American mustard are best of all. I have had corn dogs and other kinds of hot dog in the USA from various places which my friend gave top marks to - but they were never sold with fried onions. I missed them, he (who had lived all over the USA) had never seen them served like that which surprised me as I always imagined that the idea had come from there.

I have never had, nor would I want, a frankfurter type sausage served in a brioche bun and I don't care for Sloppy Joes.

If you just mean the sausages, then I like them chopped up with salads, or just warmed and eaten as is. There are many kinds of German sausage which I believe are traditionally served with sauerkraut, warm potato salad, apple and things like that. There are lots of similar suggestions online for German style meals.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 24th, 2018, 6:42 am

I do sometimes fancy a hot dog but am always disappointed with the end result. I do keep a tin of them in the store cupboard and to zuz up scrambled eggs add chopped hot dog saus. to the eggy mixture. It gives them another slant. I think I like them because of the smokey taste. When Mr.Z. was last in the US he brought me back two bottles of liquid smoke. They have been fine additions to various food stuffs in the absence of smoked sausage.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 24th, 2018, 9:35 am

Waitrose used to, and probably still do, chilled veggie hot dogs in vacuum packs which had a beautiful smoky flavour. Great big long ones which could be stuffed into a great big long roll or chopped up and added to whatever. Trouble is, whenever I bought a pack, they really didn't last long! I like the scrambled egg idea!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 24th, 2018, 10:16 am

I used to like them as a child, suppose they were a treat at the seaside or the fair. I probably preferred saveloys, don't know if they're still commonly available, haven't had any for years. Hot dogs would always have been with onions and tomato sauce, savs with mustard.

In recent times I have been served an ordinary sausage in something described as a hot dog, in a pub with (unwarranted) foodie pretensions, iirc. On our recent trip to the States I tried a couple of hot dog variants including a corn dog. I have satisfied my curiosity about these...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 24th, 2018, 11:01 am

I'm not mad about the frankfurter style of sausage but I do like the German style Bratwurst (grill sausage) in a roll. Preferably with mustard
There are people who have stalls selling them at various events and street foid markets, and of course you can buy Bratwurst at Aldi and Lidl
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » February 24th, 2018, 12:16 pm

i quite like a hot dog from time to time - usually after a good few beers. I always use M&S rolls - can't remember if they're called Submarine or Torpedo but they're good. Of course our hot dogs have to be veggie, and the best I've come across are Fry's frozen frankfurters. Lots of fried onions and as I've never got American or French mustard in the cupboard, I mix a bit of English with a bit of mayo.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Kavey » February 25th, 2018, 1:28 pm

I love hot dogs, my favourite were the ones we had around Iceland on holiday, I tried to recreate them here: https://www.kaveyeats.com/2014/10/icela ... -dogs.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 25th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Try a Choripan - a chorizo sausage in a bread roll, with chimichurri, onions, mustard , crushed up crisps ketchup and mayo.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 25th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Now, that I will have to try........
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 25th, 2018, 6:55 pm

Me too.... think i'd rather have that than Kefir... ;) :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 26th, 2018, 8:27 am

We had Choripan in BA, it struck me as more like a sausage sandwich than a hot dog. Mrs B didn't much care for the chorizo (she loves chorizo), it was a bit gristly to be fair. Don't remember the crisps - maybe I should have ordered it 'completo' :D

I would be rubbish at Danny Baker's sausage sandwich game. You and I would never be playing against each other KK because we support the same team, but I like my sausage sandwiches with mustard, not one of the allowed options. None of this matters as there would be no reason to invite me to play it.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 26th, 2018, 10:01 am

I don't like chorizo at all ... somehow I just can't chew it away ! :sprout: But I do love a good sausage sarnie with brown sauce :sprout: :hungry:

As for kefir, that is looking after the inner woman ;) :bounce: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 26th, 2018, 10:49 am

earthmaiden wrote:
If you just mean the sausages, then I like them chopped up with salads, or just warmed and eaten as is. There are many kinds of German sausage which I believe are traditionally served with sauerkraut, warm potato salad, apple and things like that. There are lots of similar suggestions online for German style meals.

Frankfurters and grated carrot are a delicious salad - with whatever dressing you fancy - and with chewy sourdough bread.
KC2
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 26th, 2018, 8:06 pm

In Venezuela we have something called a "white sausage" - akin to a British Banger, but without the parsley sage rosemary and thyme!
Not at all gristly ( I´ve heard the Argentinians STUFF their sausages chock-a-block full, which is why they´re sometimes tough) and very tasty indeed. Akin to a Bratwurst - also delish.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 26th, 2018, 9:38 pm

I've had nice sausages (and particularly nice bacon) in Colombia , only spent a few minutes in Caracas airport, not tried any Venezuelan ones.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 27th, 2018, 3:19 am

Last night i had two veggie hotdogs sauteed with onions and mushrooms in a mini baguette with English mustard and coleslaw stuffed in with them. Paper towels and sleeves rolled up were required! It was lovely!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » February 27th, 2018, 6:12 pm

When DD first started school she loved hot dog sausages from a tin - they were cheap and we were on a very tight budget. She came home from school one day and when I offered her them for her tea she said - "no thank you mummy - they are made from lips and arseholes" :lol: I had to try and keep a straight face and say that wasn't a very nice thing to say - "but" she said " my friend Christopher says they are". At the time she had a very pronounced lisp :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2018, 6:23 pm

:aww: :luv:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 27th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Caroline Aherne's character Denise in The Royale Family once commented on rissoles being made of 'Ear'oles, eye'oles and arse'oles' :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen