Patak's Curry Pastes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Patak's Curry Pastes

Postby Gruney » March 2nd, 2018, 11:49 am

When my kitchen cupboards were reorganised, a couple of weeks go, a couple or three half empty jars of curry paste came to light. The storage instructions say - "Use within six weeks of opening and before the best before end date". The words that I feel are important are "use within".

The jars have been open for very much longer than six weeks, but look and smell fine. I'm not worried about throwing them out, but would love to know why they should only be trusted for six weeks - I'll use the whole jar in one go in future. Any ideas please?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Patak's Curry Pastes

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am

I keep mine in the fridge once opened ... but I'm happy to use them weeks and weeks after they've been opened, possibly months after ... as long as they're not wearing fur coats :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 2nd, 2018, 12:06 pm

Thanks, as always, Suffs.
Gruney
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 2nd, 2018, 12:33 pm

I noticed recently that the can of coconut milk I've had in the cupboard for a while is BBE June 2011 :oops: the can isn't obviously blown or anything but I think I might ditch it anyway!
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 2nd, 2018, 12:34 pm

ps I agree with Suffs re the pataks :D
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 2nd, 2018, 1:01 pm

I agree about the curry pastes too!

I found an opened jar of umami paste in the fridge this week. As it said use within 4 weeks of opening, and had obviously been opened before the 'use-by' date of September 2015, I thought it was something which did need discarding! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 2nd, 2018, 1:04 pm

KC2 wrote:ps I agree with Suffs re the pataks :D

Me too! Although I'd always store such things in the fridge rather than in the cupboard, knowing that I'd never use it up within any date on the label.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 2nd, 2018, 1:59 pm

That's one reason we need so much fridge space. Things like curry pastes, jam, ketchup, chutney etc just have to be kept in the cool once opened. Things get fur coats very quickly here in the summer.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 2:14 pm

Our kitchen fridge (under the worktop type) is filled almost entirely with opened jars of 'stuff'. Proper food is in the big fridge in the garage.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 2nd, 2018, 4:10 pm

It's one of the reasons I have a fridge that people think is big for one person. But there is no cellar (obviously, I'm in a first floor flat) and no cool larder or any other storage that isn't at a comfortable warm room temperature.
So a lot of things get only part used as there's only the one of me, and anything part used from a cabbage to a jar of mayo needs to be refrigerated
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 2nd, 2018, 6:04 pm

Suelle wrote:I agree about the curry pastes too!

I found an opened jar of umami paste in the fridge this week. As it said use within 4 weeks of opening, and had obviously been opened before the 'use-by' date of September 2015, I thought it was something which did need discarding! :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I think I read something recently that said that even if you scrape the mould or whatever off the top, there is likely to be more unseen below the surface of the food that can still be harmful ... when I think how often I've scraped a bit of mould or fur off the inside of a jar, say of pesto or jam, and then gone on eating it, it's a wonder I haven't ended up with a dodgy tummy every time! (That said, there's always a first time ...!)
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 6:23 pm

Some people take pro-biotics, kefir and other stuff to add to/support their gut flora ............ I eat a few things past their use by dates ;) :lol: :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 2nd, 2018, 6:41 pm

suffolk wrote:Some people take pro-biotics, kefir and other stuff to add to/support their gut flora ............ I eat a few things past their use by dates ;) :lol: :oops:

What about a nice cloudy pint of Adnams?
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 6:50 pm

Gruney wrote:What about a nice cloudy pint of Adnams?

.... or three ......... :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 2nd, 2018, 6:52 pm

It's Marston's Pedigree round here. Not that I'm a drinking man, you understand.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 2nd, 2018, 7:05 pm

Large fridge here full of opened jars too, without my specs I can't read the BBE/use within so as long it looks & smells ok I don't tend to bother putting them on to check ;)
The only one I tend to pay attention to is pesto as it's hard to tell if it's gone mouldy so usually freeze unused portions in tsp amounts.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 7:14 pm

Gruney wrote:It's Marston's Pedigree round here. Not that I'm a drinking man, you understand.

Perish the thought!!! :lol: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 2nd, 2018, 7:52 pm

suffolk wrote:Some people take pro-biotics, kefir and other stuff to add to/support their gut flora ............ I eat a few things past their use by dates ;) :lol: :oops:

Anything fermented is good ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 2nd, 2018, 8:00 pm

I have jars of curry paste in the ute (very cool - temp that is) always have done, still here today. KC2 I would have opened the tin and used my nose, chances are it will be fine..... I have older tins in my store :oops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » March 2nd, 2018, 9:22 pm

These small Pataks pots are great! I use them for biryanis, with a bit of extra ginger etc.

https://www.pataks.co.uk/products/spice ... -paste-pot
Amber
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 3rd, 2018, 8:47 am

With the curry paste, I'd use the "suck it and see" method :D
With the beer, I'd go for Adnam's Ghost Ship. Without a doubt, the most wonderful beer I've tasted in years!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 3rd, 2018, 10:44 am

Another "use by" thing puzzles me - frequently, you see recipes which say the cooked meal can be frozen for up to, say, 3 months. Because I batch cook a lot, I've got stuff in the freezer I put in, and forgot about, over 12 months ago. Why should these not be fit to eat?
Gruney
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 3rd, 2018, 10:53 am

Gruney wrote:Another "use by" thing puzzles me - frequently, you see recipes which say the cooked meal can be frozen for up to, say, 3 months. Because I batch cook a lot, I've got stuff in the freezer I put in, and forgot about, over 12 months ago. Why should these not be fit to eat?

Domestic freezers freeze slowly, so ice crystals form as things freeze, and more 'frost' often builds up over time (eg freezer burn, and ice crystals around things like bread and frozen cooked meat) This doesn't make the food bad, but can affect the quality of a dish after it's thawed and reheated.

So the recommendations for 'freezer life' are based on quality not whether something is safe to eat - if it's been kept frozen it will be safe.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » March 3rd, 2018, 10:54 am

Thanks Suelle - that explains it all.
Gruney
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 3rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

In my fridge I have some leftover home-made elderflower cordial that I must have made at least 6 years ago (as we moved from our house that had an elderflower tree 6 years this coming Easter).
It has stuff floating in it; is it likely that these are harmful or harmless, do you think? Stokey Sue - or anyone else with the scientific knowledge! - I'm hoping you may have an answer for me!! I did take a picture of it but am not sure you'll see much from it - will post if you think it might help! If you think it's still fine to drink I will strain it and use it up!
Thank you!
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 3rd, 2018, 6:35 pm

I think I might pass on that one KC2, cordials vary but in six years a lot can happen
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 4th, 2018, 10:53 am

StokeySue wrote:I think I might pass on that one KC2, cordials vary but in six years a lot can happen

Fair enough :lol:
KC2
Registered

Return to The Kitchen