Corned beef ideas please

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Corned beef ideas please

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 4:41 pm

I have acquired the best part of a tin of corned beef which was otherwise destined for the bin. I have a vague memory of liking it when I was a teenager before I gave up meat but haven't touched it since. I took it because I was talking to my mum the other day about corned beef, she loves it, so it won't go to waste.

I have also been given half a white cabbage, and Googling shows me these two ingredients are often used together, especially around St Patrick's Day. I have also found Jamaican ideas using Scotch Bonnet chillies, tomatoes, green peppers. That appeals, but while I decide, could you share your ideas for using this foodstuff please?

Dad's given me his wife's hash recipe but that sounds a bit bland...

Thanks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Corned beef ideas please

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2018, 5:25 pm

Many years ago I used to make a pasty filling with a mixture of softened onion, a tin of mixed veg (you know, the ones with the cubes of carrot, swede, potato and some peas), chopped up tinned corned beef, a crumbled Oxo cube and a splodge of Branston pickle/Daddies sauce/tomato ketchup or something along those lines.

Make some rough puff pastry and cut into circles, put a dollop of the mixture into the middle, fold and seal as a pasty and bake.

It makes a tin or corned beef go a very long way ... it provided a packed lunch for the ex for five days a week.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2018, 5:33 pm

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 5:53 pm

The Jamaican recipe looks very good, similar to one I found, as does the recipe for pancakes. And your pasties! I'm going to pass that idea on to my Dad. :tu: Thanks for the links! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2018, 6:33 pm

We were living in a caravan when I used to make those pasties ... not much storage space and a tiny fridge ... a tin of corned beef and a tin of veg didn't take up much room in the cupboard ... same for your dad on his boat :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 8:34 pm

I've mentioned the pasties. I know they love their pies!

A funny thing happened on the back of receiving the corned beef and the cabbage from my Irish neighbour, my dad said I should be well away with that lot seeing as I am part Irish on his side....I had no idea!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 4th, 2018, 8:42 am

When I was at school we used to have something we called 'Kit-e-kat pie', because the filling looked similar to a popular brand of cat food.

I'm guessing (hoping? :shock: ) it was based upon corned beef.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 4th, 2018, 9:59 am

Corned beef hash - with YMCA potatoes and a good dose of fried onions. Topped with a fried egg.
Corned beef and Kosher pickles on Rye bread.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 4th, 2018, 10:56 am

I really like cooked/heated corned beef as the fat content melts out. When my mum was a school cook, she made corned beef fritters ... that is sliced of CB dipped in batter and then fried. :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 4th, 2018, 11:17 am

Badger's mate wrote:When I was at school we used to have something we called 'Kit-e-kat pie', because the filling looked similar to a popular brand of cat food.

I'm guessing (hoping? :shock: ) it was based upon corned beef.

I did think my neighbour was offering me a tin of cat food to begin with! I always think scenes on TV where humans are shown to be eating tinned cat/dog food (thinks Digby of biggest dog in the world fame...) they must use corned beef as a prop.

My Dad suggested corned beef fritters! I am still undecided but am swaying towards the Jamacian spiced recipe with cabbage....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 4th, 2018, 11:24 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:the Jamacian spiced recipe

I'm tempted by that one Tezza ... a Caribbean indulgence while watching Death in Paradise 8-) :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby EmWilk » March 4th, 2018, 12:33 pm

My mum used to make Monday Pie for us which, in our house, was softened onions, chopped corned beef, a tin of baked beans, a slug of gravy (made up from bisto) all mixed together and topped with mashed potato and baked.

Cheap food at its best! I may make it soon!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 4th, 2018, 1:29 pm

I make something similar quite often Em, and lovely it is too. :chops: :chops:

I also frequently make a corned beef stew with whatever veg I have lying about. It's one of those mid-week things we have with baked spuds.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 5th, 2018, 1:38 pm

My mum sometimes made Toad in the Hole using chunky slices of tinned corned beef instead of sausages. We liked it (though I do prefer good sausages!).

We also had fried leeks and corned beef chunks mixed with cooked pasta (macaroni or similar). That was nice as the juices coated the pasta. Nowadays in the rare occasions I make that I like a few tomatoes and a bit of ketchup or chilli flakes to jazz it up a bit more.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Bubbles » March 5th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Dad's given me his wife's hash recipe but that sounds a bit bland...
I remember my mum making this! ( One of the few dishes she could make :D )t was actually quite tasty, and I think I made it a few times. It goes nice and brown in the oven, and the onions give it a a kick, and I think I had HP sauce on mine!I may try making this in the near future.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 5th, 2018, 4:19 pm

I've just wondered what a corned beef bhaji would taste like.
Minced corned beef, a dollop of English mustard, some finely sliced onions, some grated carrot (or parsnip) and some Besan flour. Mix well together and fry until browned.
Hmmmm...
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 5th, 2018, 6:05 pm

So many good ideas here! I must confess I won't be making any of them as my mum has taken it off my hands as she :luv: Corned beef, but I have noted most of these ideas down for her. If she does use it for more than just a sandwich with pickle I will report back, but nice to share ideas here anyway!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen