Peanut butter cabbage anyone...?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Peanut butter cabbage anyone...?

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm

I found this BBC recipe online recently.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/many ... able_35397

I have the necessary ingredients available and am sorely tempted. Have you ever eaten a dish like this??? It seems unusual! I would serve with some chilli that I have and bread.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Peanut butter cabbage anyone...?

Postby earthmaiden » March 7th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Looks interesting - not sure that people unused to the corn meal would enjoy sazda very much - the rest of it would have to be very flavoursome (as with polenta).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 7th, 2018, 9:25 pm

I felt dubious about the sazda. I am not normally a rice kind of starchy accompaniment with chilli fan so I'd skip that bit too and stick with jacket potato or crusty bread or no carb suits me most of the time.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 8th, 2018, 6:12 pm

I cooked the cabbage in peanut butter this evening. I will be making it again, delicious! I made it with a combination of white cabbage and kale. Next time I won't serve it with chilli. That was a weird match. On noodles with chilli spice I think would be more appropriate.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 8th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Good to hear it was nice, I must say I am not sure I like the sound of cabbage and peanut butter ... I suppose if I think of it as a sort of Malaysian dish that you used to get way back in something called the Rasa Sayang? I'm sure I remember chicken on skewers with peanut sauce then and used to like it! But cabbage ... hmm ... Maybe I'll have to get some peanut butter and give it a try. Did you have crunchy or smooth, Tezza?
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 8th, 2018, 11:15 pm

I used crunchy, It's all I ever have in, and I think it worked having bits of crunch in it. I was thinking along the lines of Malaysian and satay too. Definitely not chilli. This evening it was a recipe that fitted what I needed to use - half a cabbage which was wilting round the edges, a bit of ready shredded kale at the bottom of the bag, a droopy onion, a dimply tomato and the scrapings at the bottom of a peanut butter jar. When I make it again I will be careful not to cook the cabbage in too much water. My peanutty sauce was a bit too thin but still lovely.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen