Meat free ideas and advice

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Meat free ideas and advice

Postby dennispc » March 14th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Obviously I expressed myself badly, which has led to some misunderstandings, veg or vegan didn't come into the after dinner chat and they certainly weren't old school.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 15th, 2018, 12:58 am

Interesting discussion.
I began life as a meat hater, probably due to having grotty, gristly, fatty meat thrust down my throat at school. I then became a vegetarian who ate chicken and minced beef :shock:
I always said I was a vegetarian at University, in order to avoid exotic and overcooked kidney recipes prepared by aspiring Michelin-starred student friends.
I first ate fish at the ripe old age of 29.
So what I did learn from living alone and cooking vegetarian food was: try to balance what you eat. Pasta with potatoes and chip butties might be very good for a hangover, but you DO need a few leafy bits from time to time. Lentils/beans/peas are a good source of protein, but add some veg to liven them up. A potato and cheese bake is a satisfying thing; add a side of steamed broccoli with lemon and chile powder, and you have yourself a wonderful, complete meal.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2018, 1:26 pm

[quote="Prettykiwicrazy"]
So tried Linda McCartney sausages today loved them. Bought some vegan cheddar and vegan Mexican cheddar . Both ok.

But if they are vegan and what's worse Mexican they simply can't/shouldn't be called Cheddar. Mr R says he can hear his West Counrty ancestors whirring in their graves :lol: :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » March 15th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Ratatouille wrote:
Prettykiwicrazy wrote:
So tried Linda McCartney sausages today loved them. Bought some vegan cheddar and vegan Mexican cheddar . Both ok.

But if they are vegan and what's worse Mexican they simply can't/shouldn't be called Cheddar. Mr R says he can hear his West Counrty ancestors whirring in their graves :lol: :lol:

It isn't called cheddar, it is 'cheddar style alternative to cheese'.
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » March 15th, 2018, 3:18 pm

only 'west country cheddar' has to come from the west country. the cheddar process of cheesemaking can be performed anywhere in the world - and is, for better or ill.
stilton doesn't come from stilton - as you know
scullion
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 15th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Maybe I should have been bit clearer of my description of it as a cheddar substitute . :D the smell is a bit off putting though
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby smitch » March 15th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Yeah vegan 'cheese' does smell a bit. I buy the 'mature cheddar' one for my rats, they love it. I'm not keen on it out of the packet but don't mind it cooked.
smitch
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 15th, 2018, 6:56 pm

In my family we often have meals that are suitable for vegetarians. Not intentionally and most of the time without even realising it, but they just don't happen to contain meat. Such meals include

Ratatouille and rice
Macaroni cheese
Cauliflower cheese
Egg curry
Egg mornay
Spinach and cream cheese pasta
Cheese soufle
Aubergine parmigana
Stuffed peppers
Cheese and lentil pie
mshroom and asparagus quiche
Spanish or mushroom or herb omelette
Jacket potato with cheese
Soup (ok so often this was chicken broth with loads of veggies made from the chicken carcass, but was also watercress soup, carrot and coriander soup or mushroom soup so that would be of here) followed by cheese and biscuits

I'm sure there are many more. The main thing is we had them because we likes them. it never crossed our mind they were vegetarian or didn't have meat, it was just what was for dinner
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 15th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Last night's supper was a mushroom risotto with braised chicory. This evening's supper was pasta with a courgette, tomato, olive and pesto sort of thing ... both more or less 'meat free' but a slosh of chicken stock in one and a couple of anchovies in the other mean that they're not vegetarian ..... but as you say Catherine,

Catherine wrote:we had them because we likes them. .......... it was just what was for dinner

:tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 16th, 2018, 7:29 am

I love your list Catherine. I could happily live on those meals for the rest of my life.

Mushroom risotto has to be one of the finest things in the culinary world, both to make and to eat. My store cupboard needs rice right now, mainly basmati for general use including curries, but I think I need Arborio too. There is something so satisfying about making a risotto. Pinny on, music on, stock on, wooden spoon in hand. Heaven! I'll get dried porcini today and Kallo mushroom stock cubes. Some parsley and button mushrooms too. Yum, yum, yum! :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » March 16th, 2018, 8:08 am

hmm, it's a list that wouldn't be dipped into very often in our house. we prefer a less carb heavy diet with less reliance on cheese and egg for protein. it's the sort of menu that meat eaters used to serve up to vegetarian guests in the past.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 16th, 2018, 9:05 am

I think it's easier for meat eaters to have the occasional meat-free meal than it is for someone who wants to move to a totally meat-free diet, or even become vegan, to have well balanced and nutritious diet.

It's likely that most meat eaters are eating too much protein, so they don't really need to worry if their meat-free meals are just pasta and pesto, or a vegetable soup. If all your meals are meat-free you have to think harder about where your protein is coming from. And as scullion says, many meat-free meals place reliance on cheese and eggs, which won't help a vegan eat well!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Busybee » March 16th, 2018, 9:27 am

Catherine- could you share your recipe for cheese and lentil pie? It sounds delicious

Thanks. b
Busybee
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 16th, 2018, 12:04 pm

I did read on a veggie FB page , it's quite common that people end up eating too many carb heavy meals, going vegetarian or vegan . Like everything I guess it's all about balance .

Well I've definitely decreased my meat eating this week and actually did two days completely vegan. It's interesting trying new products as well,I definitely want to continue in a similar vein, having the bulk of my meals plant based with the occasional meaty dish.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2018, 1:27 pm

I'm sorry to say that D-I-L has put on too much weight since becoming vegetarian. this is largely because she travels a lot for her work and often has little or no choice in what she eats.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 16th, 2018, 4:29 pm

I've always had a battle with my weight, whether I have been vegan, vegetarian, carnivore. On Slimming World I gained two pounds a week for the first four weeks, carbs being the reason for that one. Free pasta? Sensible me at the time thought, no, but let's try it out and see what happens. Bloater alert! I stopped going and bought a bicycle. Result! This was in the early nineties so the SW regime may have changed since then.

Any diet needs to be accompanied by the right amount of exercise, but as has already been said, it isn't always possible to fit that in amongst other commitments such as work, unfortunately.

This weekend i am visiting my uncle and he has promised to make his speciality which is apparently a bacon and onion suet pudding. I'm actually dreading it. I know our plates will be piled high with his homegrown veg alongside it which are always delicious, and there will be no waste as my dad will become my own personal mini hoover! I can discretely pick around the meat. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 16th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Tezza ... bacon and onion pudding is delicious, particularly if it's got lots of chopped parsley too ... just leave most of the suet pastry and eat the rest ... that's the really fattening bit ... we're promised a really cold snap so pop any suet pastry in a doggy-bag and feed it to the wild birds. :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 16th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I'm sorry to say that D-I-L has put on too much weight since becoming vegetarian.

most cake and chocolate are vegetarian.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2018, 9:34 am

I think I have generally have quite a low carb diet, rarely eating bread, pasta or rice, at least. Potatoes a little more often. I didn't put on weight when I became a vegetarian, 31 years ago. I didn't lose it either. I did, however, put on weight when I started going out with my husband (22 years ago)... :)

A friend who went from omnivore to vegan over a year ago said she lost a bit of weight. She's a bit of a junk food junky so that might be part of it. Plenty of vegan junk food available at the moment though :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen