Buttered veg

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Buttered veg

Postby northleedsbhoy » March 13th, 2018, 10:01 am

After cooking veg such as carrots and cabbage I add butter after draining them but I was watching James Martin on Saturday and he added butter to the water whilst the leeks were cooking. Never tried this or even thought of this method. Does anyone do this and if so, does it make a difference?

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Re: Buttered veg

Postby StokeySue » March 13th, 2018, 10:29 am

I sometimes cook leeks and carrots gently in a small amount of water with a bit of butter & seasoning and a tightly fitting lid. I don't drain off the liquid, but might cook the last few minutes uncovered to reduce it, so the buttery juices make a little coating of sauce or glaze
I think both flavour and texture are improved

With leeks you can replace the water with red wine and add thyme and / or bay leaves

With carrots can add a tiny bit of sugar, to make the glaze sweeter and stickier

No point if you are going to drain it I think?

Oddly I don't have a name for this methid of cooking veg, does anyone have one?
Must try cabbage, and I supoise petits pois a la francaise is a variant on the theme
Last edited by StokeySue on March 13th, 2018, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 13th, 2018, 10:45 am

I watched James Martin and thought that - but have a feeling that as Sue says, that the liquid/butter was reduced so that it did give quite a buttery coating/glaze. I've never done it but it looked lovely and is clearly the way to get that really nice, shiny look which I have never achieved well with just adding butter at the end.
Last edited by earthmaiden on March 13th, 2018, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 13th, 2018, 12:23 pm

I never add butter to plainly cooked veg unless I’m doing glazed carrots or I add a knob to mashed swede. I’m not a big fan of butter anyway and would be more likely to drizzle with olive oil . Sometimes I cook green veg a la Jamie Oliver and after cooking dress them with a good EVOO, lots of seasoning and sometimes grated Parmesan
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 13th, 2018, 2:51 pm

The cooking of carrots in minimal water a la James Martin is what he refer to as Vichy, he then explains that traditionally it would have been Vichy water which was used.

I don’t know if the butter is authentic? Guessing at his affinity with butter it may be his twist.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 13th, 2018, 3:48 pm

I wouldn't dream of wasting butter on cooked veg as I am usually going to be serving them with something saucy anyway, but Jersey Royals deserve a knob or two, after cooking and draining though.

That said, I could be converted very easily. :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 13th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Busybee wrote:The cooking of carrots in minimal water a la James Martin is what he refer to as Vichy, he then explains that traditionally it would have been Vichy water which was used.

I don’t know if the butter is authentic? Guessing at his affinity with butter it may be his twist.

BB

Carrots Vichy is traditional, I've been making it from an Elizabeth David recipe since James was in short trousers
My method has however simplified, and I certainly don't waste bottled mineral water on it
I think traditionally, as James does, you start by covering the carrots with water, adding butter and sugar,, and cooking without a lid so the liquid reduces to a glaze; I just find it easier to use a couple of TBS of water, a really good knob of butter, a tsp or so of sugar and a lid
However the version form James' French recipes uses 150 g sugar and 250g butter to 16 carrots for 4 people which is just silly IMO
https://www.cooked.com/uk/James-Martin/Quadrille-Publishing/James-Martin39s-French-Adventure/Meat/Pork-with-Vichy-carrots-recipe

The Genius kitchen version is more sane and more typical (apart from the lemon juice)

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/carrots-vichy-373052
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 13th, 2018, 7:25 pm

I used to do a M&S recipe - lemon glazed carrots which is lovely, carrot batons, water, butter, a stock cube, LJ and zest the idea is that the water cooks and then is evaporated leaving the batons glazed in a buttery, savoury, lemony coating. I have cooked on the hob and in the oven, using an old butter paper over the pot/casserole so the moisture can escape.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 14th, 2018, 1:18 am

My Nanna often did Vichy carrots, especially with fish dishes. I wasn't really that keen and much preferred boiled carrots. My mother also makes them depending on what she is serving them with. I find it too sweet and don't really like my veg mucked about with. I have always adored all veg (except parsnips) but like them simply cooked so I can actually taste them.
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 14th, 2018, 4:22 am

I've had a craving for petit pois a la Francaise fo a while. Must buy some butter today! And I think I will have them with new potatoes. A bit of a buttery meal! :chops:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/pet ... eas-297872
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 14th, 2018, 10:39 am

Oddly I don't have a name for this method of cooking veg, does anyone have one?

It's similar to what Raymond Blanc calls an 'Emulsion method' although he does stress cooking the veg quickly on a high heat with little water and butter rather than gentle cooking followed by reduction.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2018, 11:04 am

Badger's mate wrote:It's similar to what Raymond Blanc calls an 'Emulsion method' although he does stress cooking the veg quickly on a high heat with little water and butter rather than gentle cooking followed by reduction.

Yes, I think the main difference between what I do and what properly cheffy chefs do is the lid. They use more water and cook fast to reduce the liquid, but with a lid I use a tiny amout of water and cook more gently. This is for my convenience rather than because I think it gives a better result (though I don't think it's inferior). If you are going to use the amount of butter James Martin likes, you'll need to boil fast to get the emulsion.

I think basically I've crossed the emulsion method with what is sometimes called "conservative vegetable cookery" - there are some hideously complicated methods out on the net but basically it means not using enough water that you need to throw it away after cooking; for example wilting spinach without adding water
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 14th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Emulsion makes me think of Dulux and Magnolia !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Emulsion makes me think of Dulux and Magnolia !!!!

Mayonnaise
Hollandaise

PS It sounds as if I am claiming to have invented the method I use, I think I got it from somewhere but not sure where - probably a slightly old school cook, possibly Fanny Craddock or Marguerite Patten, Even Rosemary Hume ? About 45 years ago anyway :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 14th, 2018, 5:32 pm

It sounds as if I am claiming to have invented the method I use,

I for one didn't read it like that, FWIW

When we got an electric cooker, about the time that North Sea Gas came on stream, there was a recipe book with it including a dish called 'Conservative carrots'. Wouldn't have gone down a bundle in our old constituency, but I think probably a legacy of the post war cook books, as you say.
Badger's mate
Registered

Return to The Kitchen