Interesting sausage ideas

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Interesting sausage ideas

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 17th, 2018, 6:52 am

Other than adding a humble banger to a full English or serve them with mash, what are your favourite ways to serve sausages, what type do you go for - cheap and nasty (sometimes the best!) or more gourmet?

I have had my eye on some good quality sausages on sale at a butcher's shop in town for future use, but in the meantime I have a box of Linda McCartney's in the freezer and fancy jazzing them up. Toad in the hole is a possibility, but boring? Maybe some kind of pasta bake?

Any ideas floating about please?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Interesting sausage ideas

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 17th, 2018, 10:30 am

Only best quality; fried (with maybe some onion) and in sarnie from a fresh bloomer loaf, with HP sauce :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 17th, 2018, 10:34 am

Ooh yes. Someone mentioned on here recently Danny Baker's sausage sandwich game. I'd be torn between red sauce and brown sauce, definitely NOT no sauce at all. Possibly a bit of both, some English mustard and fried onions and maybe some mushrooms too.

Hungry now!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2018, 10:41 am

Only best quality sausages ... fairly coarsely minced meat with only a little rusk. Love traditional Cumberland sausages and of course sagey Lincolnshire ones too. Some of the supermarket 'own brand' ones are good ... OH particularly likes ones made with apple.

Slit the skins and remove the meat and turn each sausage into two meatballs and make meatballs and spaghetti with them.

Use a spicey Cumberland sausage to make Scotch eggs.

Sausage rolls and sausage plait.

And I've not tried this, but I reckon the flavours would be right up your street Tezza
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/sau ... sage-stew/
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 17th, 2018, 10:49 am

That JO recipe looks very good, and as luck would have it I have everything in apart from the pepper which I can buy across the road.

I used to make sausage meat balls with pasta for an ex - I'd forgotten about that. In those days we lived round the corner from an award winning butcher so always had loads of bangers in the freezer, but I didn't eat meat then. Sadly the only butcher I know round here recently closed down their store and relocated out of town. We do have Halal meat sellers dotted up and down my street but I don't know enough about Halal meat to feel comfortable enough buying it. Plus I don't think I have seen them selling sausages.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 17th, 2018, 10:58 am

I make this recipe, using sausagemeat with pasta and broccoli, quite a lot:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... en-in-rome
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2018, 11:42 am

Sausag and lentil casserole
Lots of variations
Basically brown your sausages and remove. Soften diced onion, carrot, celery and some garlic if you like in the pan, add some washed whole lentiks (the blue grey Puy ones or the green continental ones, not the orange split ones). Add a splash of wine or cider (optional), some chopped tomatoes or passata, some herbs to complement the sausages, return the sausages and just cover with stock or water. Cook until done (about 30 minutes) topping up with boiling water if necessary, so when it is finished the lentiks have absorbed the water so they are soft and surrounded by a small amount of sauce.
You can make it plain with English bangers, French with Toulouse sausages and garlic (and ideally red wine), Italian using Italian sausages, adding some chopped fennel with the veg and / or some crushed fennel seeds ir I suupose you could make Spanish with the kind of chorizo you grill
More a method than a recipe but there are many proper recipes out there on t'internet
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 17th, 2018, 11:42 am

I love sausages cooked with green or brown lentils, root veg, onions and a rich gravy. Has to be decent meaty ones for me or I rather not have them.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2018, 12:28 pm

You won't get pork sausages in a Halal butcher Tezza as Moslems don't eat pork. Most supermarkets have good own brand sausages these days :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I only eat veggie ones and having been brought up on the cheap meat variety don;t associate them as being nice anyway. (My parents started buying posh ones from Chatsworth as soon as I left home!)
However OH loves them and I always have them in, but don't often do much that's very imaginative. I put them in casseroles, sometimes add them to ribollita, add them to cheesy potato gratins. Might be nice in a pie? Cauliflower cheese and sausage pie?! Or just cualiflower cheese and sausage.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2018, 12:38 pm

suffolk wrote:You won't get pork sausages in a Halal butcher Tezza as Moslems don't eat pork. Most supermarkets have good own brand sausages these days :)

True
You might get chicken or turkey ones, which seem quite popular round here, but I find them unininteresting, and they won't work in most of these recipes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 17th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Sausage pasta bake
Sausage casserole
Sausages with braised lentils
sausages wrapped in filo pastry
Sausage egg and chips
Thai pork sausage balls
Last edited by Catherine on March 17th, 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » March 17th, 2018, 1:25 pm

when my children were still at home one of the very quick meals i used to do was - pasta twists, when nearly cooked put in cut up vegetarian hot dog sausages and frozen peas, drain, then stir in some roule cheese to coat everything and grind in some black pepper. you could do the same sort of thing with fried and sliced linda mccartney ones, adding in with the roule rather than the boiling pasta.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2018, 1:41 pm

Or just dip them in honey mustard :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Has anyone mentioned toad in the hole with onion gravy :chops: ?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 17th, 2018, 2:16 pm

I am not a huge sausage fan but Mr R is. Some of our favourite recipes are very simple like ED's sausages cooked in white wine or cider. You merely stiffen the sauages in a little butter the pour on some white wine of cider and allow to bubble up. Transfer to an oven proof dish and cook in a fairly hot oven until browned . Lovely served with crispy onion puree potato.

Sausage casserole - recipe from student days which incorporates sliced potato onion and baked beans.

If you have any left over cooked sausages you can make a Dutch salad which is sliced sausages, apple, cucumber, tomato and spring onion ,cubed gouda cheese and a tin of drained kidney beans or lentils dressed with a mustardy vinaigrette.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Oooh yes Rats ... love that Dutch salad ... it's what gouda cheese was invented for :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 17th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Sausage and baked bean pasty
Cassoulet
Catherine
Registered

Postby Lokelani » March 17th, 2018, 7:43 pm

If I have time I sometimes make Delia Smith's sausage rolls, the flaky pastry is really nice. Or oven scotch eggs. Or a huge sausage pastry roll with whole hard boiled eggs along the length so you see them in the slices.
For more everyday meals we like sausage traybake, with potato wedges, whatever veg I have that will roast well & towards the end a bit of honey & wholegrain mustard dribbled over the sausages.
Or comfort food, beany pie. Sausages browned, baked beans on top, mash on top & grated cheddar on, then in the oven. This is so filling, a dish of this with good quality sausages in usually does both of us for two meals.
The sausage & lentil casserole I do was an old Sainsbury's recipe I think. Fry or grill sausages, then fry onion, garlic, mushrooms & a sprig of thyme. Add beef stock or a tin of luxury beef consomme & red wine, all simmered down to reduce. Then red peppers or a jar of roasted antipasti type ones, tinned puy lentils & parsley right at the end. I sometimes add a spoonful of bramble or redcurrant jelly if I've made any.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 17th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Delia has a whole chapter on sausages in her Frugal Food book (out of print but available second hand on Amazon for very little) including a recipe for sausage stuffed onions, which I think my husband would love (he loves stuffed onions, he loves sausages, so...!) it has the following ingredients in it (taken from Eat your Books)
paprika
parsley
apples
mushrooms
yoghurt
Spanish onions
sausage meat
dried sage
white breadcrumbs
I would omit/sub the apple, personally...!

She also suggests sausages boulangere
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 17th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Or just make something like a dauphinoise and serve with sausages
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Tonight's supper
Attachments
IMG_20180317_2027326_rewind.jpg
Sausage and Puy Lentiks
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 18th, 2018, 3:36 am

So lovely to have all these ideas in one place. I haven't seen a single idea that I don't like the sound of.

I must get Delia's Frugal book.i do have her Complete Cookery Course so I'll have a look to see if she's put the stuffed onions recipe in there. I'll still buy Frugal though.

Sausage, baked beans topped with mash sounds good. Maybe grated cheese oon top before sticking it the oven. I also usually have vegetarian hot dogs in the freezer so will think about trying different things with those instead of just having them in a bun with fried onion.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 18th, 2018, 6:28 am

Think I may get some out of the DF and stick them in when the oven is on today. They can always be transformed into something for later in the week. Looks like we might be blocked in by the white stuff for a while.... :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2018, 6:43 am

Haven't made it for a while as OH doesn't like beans but this is good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/grea ... role_73010
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 18th, 2018, 11:52 am

Herbidacious wrote:Delia has a whole chapter on sausages in her Frugal Food book (out of print but available second hand on Amazon for very little) including a recipe for sausage stuffed onions, which I think my husband would love (he loves stuffed onions, he loves sausages, so...!) it has the following ingredients in it (taken from Eat your Books)
paprika
parsley
apples
mushrooms
yoghurt
Spanish onions
sausage meat
dried sage
white breadcrumbs
I would omit/sub the apple, personally...!

She also suggests sausages boulangere

I've made the stuffed onions before and they are lovely. I reckon they would also work well with veggie sausages or a mushroomy stuffing mixuture :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 19th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I had a recipe from one of those little Sainsburys books that was pretty much onion, breadcrumbs, cheese and sage. They were rally quite nice (although not as nice as my husband thinks they are, perhaps!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby MariaKK » March 20th, 2018, 12:43 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:We do have Halal meat sellers dotted up and down my street ...... I don't think I have seen them selling sausages.

They may not have sausages - certainly not pork - but they are bound to have merguez - spicy, narrow, reddish sausages . I think you'd like those. Perfect with lentils - especially green or Puy lentils which don't go mushy. Also make rather good sausage rolls.
MariaKK
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 20th, 2018, 4:04 am

Fill your boots with this lot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search
Last edited by Catherine on March 20th, 2018, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 20th, 2018, 9:25 am

MariaKK wrote:They may not have sausages - certainly not pork - but they are bound to have merguez - spicy, narrow, reddish sausages . I think you'd like those. Perfect with lentils - especially green or Puy lentils which don't go mushy. Also make rather good sausage rolls.

Halal butchers in London are mainly Turkish or Pakistani, they sell no merguez round here (NE London) although you can find them in supermarkets, delis and quite often in farmer's markets (presumably a good way of using up sheep trimmings in a country where lamb mince isn't very popukar)

Turkish butchers sell sucuk (sujuk), Turkish beef sausages. I don't really like them but I think that's me
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 20th, 2018, 10:30 am

Catherine wrote:Fill your boots with this lot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search

comes up with 'no results found'.

maybe a recipe of something you've made and enjoyed would be a better suggestion?
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 20th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Apologies to you Scullion. Tezza did not ask specifically for T&T, just ideas and there were plenty here. Tezza search sausage recipes on the BBC site. It has some lovely ideas that I think you might enjoy
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 21st, 2018, 10:41 am

When I was in Arctic Maidstone the other week, my bro made his special Sausage Sarnie.
Two bangers per person. Fried, split in half, fried again.
Two slices of bacon per person.
Two thick slices of white bread, heavily buttered.
Slathering of Colman´s mustard.
Abundant fried onions.
Down the hatch.

One of the few school meals I actually ate was something called Sausage Lyonnaise - which was basically, as I recall, sausages in a thick onion gravy.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 21st, 2018, 10:04 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:When I was in Arctic Maidstone the other week, my bro made his special Sausage Sarnie.
Two bangers per person. Fried, split in half, fried again.
Two slices of bacon per person.
Two thick slices of white bread, heavily buttered.
Slathering of Colman´s mustard.
Abundant fried onions.
Down the hatch.

That's proper hangover food. It is just missing a fried egg
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 22nd, 2018, 2:54 am

Hahaha!!
( The egg wouldn´t fit, and we´d run out of beer anyway) :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2018, 10:27 am

I think that just proves that sausages taste best when least mucked about and served in a British way :lol: . I do prefer them not in a casseroled state so that they are sort of crisp on the outside.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I think that just proves that sausages taste best when least mucked about and served in a British way :lol: . I do prefer them not in a casseroled state so that they are sort of crisp on the outside.

:chops: :chef: :hungry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 24th, 2018, 10:06 am

We cannot get decent sausages here but I found a pack of 20 frozen thick Cumberland sausages earlier this week, it will be Sausage, Mash & Onion gravy for supper tonight.
The accompanying vegetables are under discussion

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 24th, 2018, 9:42 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:The accompanying vegetables are under discussion

Keep it simple and just serve peas
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 25th, 2018, 9:47 am

I found 3 sausages in my freezer yesterday, so for my supper I had sausage and beans with a slice of seedy toast. I really couldn't tell you when I last had sausage and it was delicious :bounce: :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 25th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I'm with earthmaiden, not really fond of wet sausages.
I prefer to bake mine to ensure a slightly crisp outer.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 26th, 2018, 1:47 am

An Uruguayan friend of mine used to make the most delicious (German) sausages. He´d put a couple of pints of beer into a pot, then add lots of sliced onion and sliced peppers. Cook the beer for about 20 minutes, then add the sausages - he´d use weisswürst or something similar. Served with the (drained) onion mix on top and slathered with sweet dark brown German mustard.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 26th, 2018, 6:15 am

I like sausages, merguez are a favourite of mine. Also like the bratwurst that Lidl sell, BBQ'd in Summer. I don't tend to use 'good' saus. in Toad int 'ole. I like to savour the flavour of 'good' saus. and not muck about with them. I do flavour sausage meat with a theme, Italian, Mexican etc. for saus. rolls (always with flaky pastry). Mr. Z adores hot dog saus. in saus rolls.

Rats, Toulouse saus. are great !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 16th, 2018, 10:34 am

karadekoolaid wrote:An Uruguayan friend of mine used to make the most delicious (German) sausages. He´d put a couple of pints of beer into a pot, then add lots of sliced onion and sliced peppers. Cook the beer for about 20 minutes, then add the sausages - he´d use weisswürst or something similar. Served with the (drained) onion mix on top and slathered with sweet dark brown German mustard.

I'm bouncing this topic back up as I keep seeing an advert on TV for Quorn sausages cooked in apple juice, which sounds a bit like the above recipe and I guess could work very well with cider.

https://www.quorn.co.uk/recipes/quorn-sausage-casserole

As luck would have it, my mum randomly bought me some Quorn sausages round recently and I've been wondering what to do with them. This could fit the bill!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 16th, 2018, 11:56 am

You could make a sausage frittata with mushrooms and tomatoes. I too am not too keen on sausages. I find they have a strange aftertaste have to say I really don't like quorn sausages though

You could have some fun making you own sausages
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 16th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Ah, I do have a sausage making book here somewhere amongst all these crates of stuff! I have to say, when I have browsed through it I have found it a bit daunting, although it probably is quite simple once you know how.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Kitchen