Easter Shapes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Easter Shapes

Postby earthmaiden » March 21st, 2018, 9:49 am

Whilst in Sainsburys recently, I couldn't resist buying a metal baking tin which had 6 moulded sections of Easter shapes - two different kinds of bunny and a decorated egg. Two of each.

I am hoping to entertain GD by using it next week but can't decide what to make. The shapes are quite big - the egg is about 3.5" x4" (11x9cm ). If we did hollow chocolate or decorated cakes they would be quite big for a 2 year old to eat all at once (and she would want to!) and we try not to encourage her to have lots of sweet treats, especially as there will be some at Easter. I am wondering about bread or scones which could be decorated with various things. My bread is sometimes a bit hit and miss but I can usually manage rolls, especially as the house is warm when she comes.

Just wondering if any Wildies have any brilliant - ideally savoury - ideas I hadn't thought of. Ideally not something (like hollow chocolate) which needs to be done in stages with a long wait in between.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Easter Shapes

Postby Busybee » March 21st, 2018, 10:19 am

Would gingerbread work I wonder, still sweet I’m afraid.

Line them with pastry and have individual bunny shaped quiche?

Inspiration is lacking im afraid, i keep thinking cake!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 21st, 2018, 10:21 am

If you want a simple thing to make with GD I think a muffin mix might work well (though you'd need to grease very well or use baking spray)
Muffins don't have to be sweet, youc could make savoury ones to have with soup for lunch
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2018, 11:06 am

you could line it with cling film and make a paper mâché egg that you could then paint, and if there's time to get it done before easter, fill with some home made truffles as a present for her mum and dad.

or make jelly/ blancmange in it.
scullion
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 21st, 2018, 11:50 am

We have duck and rabbit moulds, although it sounds like ours are a bit smaller than yours.

We drop an egg into them in a frying pan for shaped fried eggs (or omelettes if the shape is too big for one egg). I also use it as a cutter for shaped toasties, sandwiches and pizzas when we use our own dough.

I guess you could do the same with pancakes/frittata/tortilla etc too?

We use a recipe book based on the Gruffalo called Gruffalo crumble for loads of fun toddler food and cooking ideas. There are also some great ones on pinterest.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 21st, 2018, 12:34 pm

Thanks everyone - some great ideas there and I shall look out for the Gruffalo book too. We like cooking together.

Brilliant idea re papier mache! I haven't done that since I made a nice little bowl about 55 years ago so will have to read up on it. Hadn't thought of jelly either, despite making some in my rabbit mould recently (which had to go home with mummy silently cussing granny because it hadn't yet set properly :lol: :lol: ). I've never managed to make muffins that didn't weld themselves to the tin or case :? . I would like to try bread I think - wouldn't mind a trial run but I'd have to eat it (more calories!). I like the thought of split filled rolls with shapes on top.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 21st, 2018, 1:54 pm

Vegetables in aspic ... like a vegetable terrine
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 21st, 2018, 2:28 pm

Or Just sugar free jelly or flavoured blancmange.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 21st, 2018, 4:08 pm

Crikey, I've never done anything in aspic. It sounds like those weird salads in the delis sections of supermarkets in the USA! Could be very pretty though to place the veg along the decorated sections. Might save that one for when she's a bit bigger. I tend to forget that she is still a bit small to be expected to decorate things perfectly :lol: .

Jelly and blancmange is looking good. Maybe if we made a sandwich cake with two of the halves it would be acceptable to cut it into small slices. Cake and icing would be so easy!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 21st, 2018, 5:22 pm

Bunny shaped madeleines?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2018, 12:24 am

That's a point PP. I suppose that the shapes just lend themselves so well to decorating that I hadn't thought of leaving them plain :rolleyes: . We'll see.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 22nd, 2018, 9:04 pm

Just read back properly about your tin/moulds and realised my suggestions are for cutters and therefore useless suggestions :lol: Sorry, I saw ‘Easter shapes’ and assumed they were like ours! Oops.

Anyway, the gruffalo book is a good one for general toddler cooking ideas if your GD likes the story
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 23rd, 2018, 12:59 am

:) it's always nice to have new ideas anyway! I thought today that mashed potato finished off in the oven might work too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen