Suet pudding favourites - sweet & savoury

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Suet pudding favourites - sweet & savoury

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 26th, 2018, 7:55 am

After being shown how to make my uncle's much loved bacon and onion suet pudding at the weekend, I thought I would start this thread where we can share favourites in one place.

The one i tried at the weekend comprised of half beef suet to flour, a pinch of salt, a finely diced onion, smoked bacon lardons and water to form a soft dough. This was cooked in the microwave for 10 minutes on high.

It was nice but could have been made better (I daren't have said so!) by the addition of herbs.

I'd have preferred a veggie version and would like to experiment at home, so would be interested in reading your veggie versions, also what do you put in your sweet puds? Currants, syrup, jam, do fresh fruits such as bananas work? :hungry:
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on March 26th, 2018, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Suet pudding favpurites - sweet & savoury

Postby sueturnersmith » March 26th, 2018, 9:20 am

It’s a Bedfordshire dish known as Bedfordshire Clangers. My mother used to make it, with the addition of some chopped sage, and I loved it. We also used to have syrup suet pud, and sometimes jam.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Suelle » March 26th, 2018, 9:35 am

My all time favourite sweet pudding was my mother's plain suet pudding, which was served with Demerara sugar and home-made raspberry vinegar.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » March 26th, 2018, 9:41 am

How about spotted dick?
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » March 26th, 2018, 10:02 am

I probably need to revisit suet pudding... it was my bête noire, along with macaroni cheese, 'soup'/stew and lamb chops as a child. I won't be revisiting lamb chops...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 26th, 2018, 10:10 am

Suet pudding is IMO not edible, neither are suet dumplings.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 26th, 2018, 10:28 am

StokeySue wrote:Suet pudding is IMO not edible, neither are suet dumplings.

Gosh! Suet dumplings and spotted dick are my two favourite things in the World. :o 8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » March 26th, 2018, 10:46 am

i think i may have a packet of vegetarian 'suet' in the back of a cupboard. if it is it would have been there for at least ten years. i think it shows my love of suet puddings and dumplings. i have made dumplings with veg fat and butter, and syrup puddings etc with butter so it must be the drab flavour of the 'suet' that doesn't float my boat.
i can vaguely remember the odd flavour that hid at the back of some puddings at primary school (spotted dick and jam roly poly) that i thought shouldn't have been there which was probably the flavour of the suet. i think i must be in the same camp as sue.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 26th, 2018, 11:10 am

It's mainly texture I don't like, but it's true that suet goes very slightly rancid well before the best by date on the packet, unless you have a cold larder or cellar to store it in. Completely fresh suet is almost odourless and so not much flavour
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2018, 11:16 am

sueturnersmith wrote:It’s a Bedfordshire dish known as Bedfordshire Clangers. My mother used to make it, with the addition of some chopped sage, and I loved it.

Same here ... but we used lots of chopped parsley :hungry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 26th, 2018, 11:39 am

Love suet dumplings, especially in a chicken casserole :chops: :chops:

Come to that, I love suet pastry too.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 26th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I am lucky that we had lovely suet puds at school and then my MIL was an expert at making them too! I have never made them quite as well.

Spotted Dick
Ginger flavoured served with warmed golden syrup
Jam Roly Poly
Suet dumplings (I prefer vegetarian suet these days, have had several instances of the rancid beef mentioned above)
Steak & Kidney pudding (the best ever made by a school friend's mother - if only I could get it even half as good as that!)

Edited to say I'm sure I remember quite a lot of comment when Gary Rhodes made a mushroom pudding as s Christmas lunch suggestion one year. i ca't see the recipe online though it's probably there - similar to this I think https://www.belleaukitchen.com/2011/12/ ... dding.html

I'm not sure, but think that only certain fillings really lend themselves to microwave cookery - e;.g. steak& kidney would be better with long, slow cooking IMO. Of course, if you steam using the traditional method you have the hotplate on for a long time and you have to factor in the cost (and the steam!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 26th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Oh dear. Where do I start because there are so many? You can buy vegetarian suet and I always store suet in the fridge.
Savoury : Straight onion pudding which is basic suet mix - SR flour, half the weight of suet mixed with water - flavoured with finely chopped grated onion then STEAMED for one and a half hours. Served, trditionally on Monday with the rest of the Sunday joint and gravy.
Leek pudding - plain suet crust lined into a basin then filled with sliced leek seasoning and butter. Served with braised beef (in Brown Ale) :drool:
Steak and kidney. Rabbit with bacon and black pudding.

Sweet, basic bur sweetend with a little sugar then spooned over: Jam, golden syrup, maple and walnut, marmalade
Lined into a basin and filled with sliced apple and brown sugar -apple hat-or a whole lemon split and with sugar and butter surrounding it (Sussex Pond).
Spotted Dick, Jam Roly poly.

These are just the obvious ones.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 26th, 2018, 12:38 pm

StokeySue wrote:Suet pudding is IMO not edible, neither are suet dumplings.

Totally with you. Its the mouth feel as much s anything.
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2018, 12:41 pm

earthmaiden wrote: Of course, if you steam using the traditional method you have the hotplate on for a long time and you have to factor in the cost

But not as expensive as having the oven on for long enough to make a shin of beef casserole.

I used not to buy vegetable suet as it was made from hydrogenated palm oil ... apparently nowadays Atora Light isn't hydrogenated, but I can't find out whether it's still made with palm oil.

I prefer to use beef suet ... bought in a lump and grated at home if I plan ahead and remember to order the suet. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 26th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Really? Oh dear, I didn't know that. I haven't bought any for ages, sadly, I haven't had dumplings this winter.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 26th, 2018, 12:51 pm

I was hoping Rats would answer this, especially her leek pudding recipe....it is gorgeous, and I put a little chopped bacon in mine sometimes.
We also like diced chicken thighs with mushrooms.
And any of the sweet variations.
Like Suffs, I can get beef suet from the butcher, which is my preference, but I usually have some Atora in the fridge, especially in the winter.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 26th, 2018, 12:54 pm

We had some last week - probably the last until next November,

It took me agaes to convinve our butcher here to sell me beef suet because they often sell all kidneys with the suet still around them. I rarely use veggie suet but for things like Christmas pud and mincemeat therreally isn't any alternative for a veggie. I know you should be able to use butter but it has never worked for me.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 26th, 2018, 2:38 pm

suffolk wrote:
earthmaiden wrote: Of course, if you steam using the traditional method you have the hotplate on for a long time and you have to factor in the cost

But not as expensive as having the oven on for long enough to make a shin of beef casserole.

I used not to buy vegetable suet as it was made from hydrogenated palm oil ... apparently nowadays Atora Light isn't hydrogenated, but I can't find out whether it's still made with palm oil.

Atora Light Shredded Vegetable Suet
(200g)

Ingredients:
Vegetable Oils (85%) (Palm, Sunflower), Wheat Flour (with added Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin).

Allergies information:
Contains Wheat

Got that from mysupermarket.co.uk which I often find is the best place to locate the ingredients list
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 26th, 2018, 3:53 pm

I do my suet dumplings in the IP when I have made a shin of beef stew. I use the slow cooker setting even if I've pressure cooked the casserole. And I keep the Atora in the fridge. Needeless to say they don't feature very much on SW. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 26th, 2018, 4:54 pm

I am totally drooling here! Lovely recipes! I remember promising myself that I would do the mushroom pudding one day, never got round to it, the same with Sussex Pond! That has been a memory jogger on both counts!

I would definitely opt for veg suet over beef. The last time I tried to buy some to make stew and dumplings they had sold out of veg and beef suet, also Aunt Bessie's frozen and packet mixes. It was when we had that last lot of snow.

My mum used to make a mean jam roly poly, and as luck would have it I have a cupboard full of different homemade jams. Apple Betty has also been on my radar forever!

My microwave is going to be busy! I can't be bothered with long hours of steaming on the hob.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Suet pudding favourites - sweet & savoury

Postby Zosherooney » March 26th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Mr. Z used to request Baked Jam roll (not jam roll poly) and custard most Sundays. We got out of the habit.... :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 26th, 2018, 8:45 pm

NoNoNO!
Suet puddings, in any shape or form, are revolting :terrified: :terrified:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Bubbles » March 26th, 2018, 9:37 pm

I'm finding it fascinating that there is such a division of opinion over suet puddings. I must own up to the fact I have never had one. It hadn't really occurred to me before but to be honest it's not something that appeals. I suppose I must have had food with suet in it but my mum almost certainly never cooked one and neither have I.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 27th, 2018, 2:29 am

Suet is the thick (axle) grease attached to a cow´s kidney.
I think.
Horrible nightmares about school jam roly-poly with lumpy custard. The perfect item for bashing someone over the head with.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 27th, 2018, 9:09 am

As a child would regularly have had suet puddings, savoury either Kate & Sidney or bacon and onion, sweet with jam, syrup or dried fruit. However the sweet ones were sponge puddings at least as often as suet. Suet was also used to make pastry for savoury pies and dumplings.

I still make the occasional savoury pud and aim to serve dumplings with one stew per winter, but somehow have forgotten this time. I did have a steak & mushroom pudding in a pub last week. I notice that Kate & Sidney, once ubiquitous, has all but disappeared as a pie or pudding filling, in favour of Steak & Ale or similar.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 27th, 2018, 9:14 am

karadekoolaid wrote:NoNoNO!
Suet puddings, in any shape or form, are revolting :terrified: :terrified:

I think it is a question of a) upbringing and b) how good those cooking for you were at the time.
I am a Northener and suet puddings are in my DNA Those I ate in the family were light and delicious and I like to think mine still are, so next time you are around KK I'll happily make you one :hi5:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 27th, 2018, 9:19 am

Yes suet it the fat surrounding the kidneys, mainly of cattle but also sheep

It's not at all greasy at room temperature, very white and slightly crumbly and you can grate it like firm cheese

It's not suet itself I object to, it's the stodgy dough it leads to, especially when boiled or steamed :sprout:

I remember in a previous discussion someone, probably PP, said that I used the term "stodge" to suggest "a bad thing". Well, yes! Until that point it had never occurred to me that anyone would describe any food they liked as stodge, in my family definitely a negative :shock:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 27th, 2018, 9:58 am

I am a Northener and suet puddings are in my DNA

I'm a Southerner and they're in my DNA too. It's as much socio-economic as geography I suspect. Not unlike pease pudding; of course it's part of the heritage of people from the North, but also for a lot of Londoners, and others too I imagine.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 27th, 2018, 10:07 am

StokeySue wrote:It's not at all greasy at room temperature, very white and slightly crumbly and you can grate it like firm cheese

I suppose it depends on the room ... Clive's kitchen is probably a bit warmer than most of ours ... ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 27th, 2018, 12:09 pm

suffolk wrote:I suppose it depends on the room ... Clive's kitchen is probably a bit warmer than most of ours ...

Hahaha!!

Well yes, that´s true.. 23ºc at this moment!!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 28th, 2018, 6:29 am

I wonder, can a suet pud be done in a slow cooker? I should be getting mine back today! :bounce: :chef:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 28th, 2018, 6:43 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I wonder, can a suet pud be done in a slow cooker? I should be getting mine back today! :bounce: :chef:

Yes. My slow cooker recipe book says 6 hours on high.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 28th, 2018, 6:51 am

Brilliant, thanks Sue! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 28th, 2018, 8:40 am

Second the suggestion to use a slow cooker. I have used one for years to make suet puddings. Especially useful for Christmas puds, hours of steaming without the need to worry about the saucepan boiling dry.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 28th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I´d put in the microwave on HIGH for about 20 minutes, Teresa. :scared: :scared: :scared:
HAHAHAHAHA!!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 28th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Badger's mate wrote:I'm a Southerner and they're in my DNA too.

Ditto but I'd heaps rather they were in my tummy. :chops: :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 28th, 2018, 5:20 pm

I'd heaps rather they were in my tummy.

Me too, but bits of them end up in your DNA eventually! :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 29th, 2018, 5:54 pm

We have a hearty beef stew for supper tonight with about 20 veg in it but there is not much potato left in the last portion (for another day) so I am going to make some herby dumplings, and I have to have a small boast and say that my dumps are like light fluffy clouds !
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen