Guacamole- how do you make yours

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Guacamole- how do you make yours

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 30th, 2018, 9:04 pm

I slow cooked a piece of brisket the other night in tinga paste and passata and tonight had some in soft tacos. Alongside I had guacamole which really complemented it well. It’s only in the last year or two I liked avocados , but think I’ve got my guacamole down right now.

The key to start off with is they’re perfectly ripe . I like a chunky texture , so just roughly mash with a fork. I go heavy on the lime and salt, a little coriander chopped,small amount of diced red chilli and diced red onion for crunch. I don’t personally like tomatoes in it as find it makes the texture a bit mushy . Tempted to make again tomorrow with some homemade pitta chips.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Re: Guacamole- how do you make yours

Postby Badger's mate » March 30th, 2018, 9:46 pm

It varies. Avocado, salt and coriander of course. Usually lemon rather than lime, generally red onion, sometimes tomato, sometimes not. Chilli depends upon what is available - fresh or chilli sauce being most likely, but mindful of the consumers.

I've got some tomatillos to use up and a pork chilli verde to make. I want to try some coriander microgreens in it and the accompaniments. I need to get sowing.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 31st, 2018, 2:25 am

Personally, it´s barely ripe avocado; lime juice, salt and a bit of fresh jalapeño.Mashed with a fork.
In México over Christmas, they generally served it made with fresh avocado, lime juice, fresh coriander leaf and jalapeños - and always with totopos. (Totopos are stale tortillas, fried until crisp).
There´s a notable Mexican chef in Barcelona, Paloma Ortiz, whose recipe includes 2 avocados, sweet onion, jalapeños, coriander leaf and salt. She´s from Oaxaca and says that adding lime juice is a "foreign" habit :lol: :lol:
In Colima, México, they use avocado, chile, lime juice, salt and pomegranate seeds!
What they ALL say in México is that the guacamole needs to be made in a molcajete - that´s a "pestle and mortar" made from volcanic rock. I just got one, hehe!! Anyone who makes one in a blender, they say, has no respect for the avocado!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 31st, 2018, 6:25 am

I make mine with the ingredients as above but do like tomato flavour in it as well and like you, PKC don't like it too wet so take the wet seedy part of the tomato out. I have been known to use sun-dried tomatoes if I have not got fresh but you have to leave it to reconstitute the tomatoes. Have also used sun-dried in oil, now that does give a good flavour.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 31st, 2018, 8:06 am

Interesting about the pestle and mortar because I take care not to mush it too far

Avocado, lime, and salt mashed together. Tiny dice of red chilli, red onion, and the flesh of a peeled deseeded tomato folded through, then add coriander at the end.

I probably will try with jalapeno some time, as they are now grown somewhere in Europe and so available nice and fresh in all the shops
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 31st, 2018, 9:27 am

I used to like chopped skinned tomato in mine but I prefer it without these days. I have always used a pestle and mortar. The same one I use for aioli and pistou. It just seems right. Lime juice for me and if freh piments are not available then a dash of either Tabasco or Long Island pepper sauce. I am waiting fresh supplies from DS when he gets back from the Bahamas.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 31st, 2018, 10:02 am

StokeySue wrote:Interesting about the pestle and mortar because I take care not to mush it too far

Avocado, lime, and salt mashed together. Tiny dice of red chilli, red onion, and the flesh of a peeled deseeded tomato folded through, then add coriander at the end.

I probably will try with jalapeno some time, as they are now grown somewhere in Europe and so available nice and fresh in all the shops

Im the same , I like it more of a chunky salsa consistency than a spreadable dip. Normally depending on the who’s, a couple of mashes and stirs with a fork will do
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 1st, 2018, 12:51 am

Just a point to add here-
Even though the molcajete is a type of pestle and mortar, not one of the guacamoles I ate in Mexico was smooth; the surface of the molcajete is rough ( it`s hand-crafted from volcanic stone) so helps to "smash" the avocado and bruise the jalapeño/onion . The texture is chunky; never a smooth paste.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen