Do you use frozen spinach?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Do you use frozen spinach?

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 28th, 2018, 6:39 am

I can't buy spinach, fresh or frozen, locally, so treated myself to a bag of the frozen nuggets as I :luv: It.

Last night i had some leftover spicy rice to be eaten, mixed it with red kidney beans, tomato juice for moisture, mixed in three spinach nuggets and microwaved. It took quite a bit of cooking but it was lovely. Next time I do something like that i think I might defrost the nuggets in the fridge overnight.

If you buy frozen spinach, what do you do with it?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Do you use frozen spinach?

Postby patpoyntz » April 28th, 2018, 6:52 am

I always have some in my freezer. I don’t usually have it a veg, prefer fresh for that, but I find the frozen ‘nuggets’ very convenient for popping into a curry or soup.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 7:04 am

I do the same as Pat and keep some in the freezer for adding to curries etc at times when we don't have spinach or chard in the garden.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 28th, 2018, 9:34 am

As I'm mainly cooking for one I find the frozen bags and absolute godsend as I can sometimes struggle to use a bag of fresh before it goes slimy. I find it best though Tezza if not defrosted first as I find if you do this no matter how well you squeeze it, it tastes soggy. If having it as a veg rather than added to a dish, I usually pop some nuggets in a noodle mug, microwave for 2-3 minutes, drain well, add a knob of butter, season then microwave for a further minute.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 28th, 2018, 9:36 am

Yes, I too keep it in the freezer for including in dishes more than eating straight
Always whole leaf, never chopped

Tip: if you want to include it in a dish where it will be cooked quite a lot, such as a quiche or pasta bake, don't pre-cook it, just put it in a colander or sieve in the sink or over a bowl and let it drip, then squeeze it out with your hands to use. For some reason US recipes often suggest this but UK ones seldom do
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 28th, 2018, 9:39 am

Ha! LTC and I posted together in opposite directions, you will have to try both :lol:
Though perhaps not contradictory as I only thaw for dishes where you'd par-cook fresh
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 28th, 2018, 9:44 am

:lol:

Both tips taken on board! :lol:

I have an idea I might make a batch of straight spinach soup soon, some potatoes need using up and i have whole nutmeg and my little grater. :chops: Frozen spinach could be a regular ingredient here!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 9:49 am

StokeySue wrote:Tip: if you want to include it in a dish where it will be cooked quite a lot, such as a quiche or pasta bake, don't pre-cook it, just put it in a colander or sieve in the sink or over a bowl and let it drip, then squeeze it out with your hands to use. For some reason US recipes often suggest this but UK ones seldom do

That's what I do if I have the time, when adding to a 'curry' ... frozen spinach can hold a lot of moisture.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 28th, 2018, 9:51 am

StokeySue wrote:Ha! LTC and I posted together in opposite directions, you will have to try both :lol:
Though perhaps not contradictory as I only thaw for dishes where you'd par-cook fresh

:lol: :lol: and I've only had used it thawed as a standalone veg so I agree perhaps not contradictory.
Either way it's really handy stuff to have in the freezer :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby mogatogs » April 28th, 2018, 10:23 am

I too have a bag of spinach in the freezer, just to add to curries etc, Tessa be careful about reheating rice :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 28th, 2018, 11:20 am

I thought the danger with rice was keeping it warm or tepid after cooking rather than cooling it and refrigerating straight away. That's when the nasties get in so if you've been diligent about that reheating should be ok. What do others think?

I can only bear fresh spinach either in a salad or slightly wilted. The rest, including frozen, reminds me of awful Sunday lunches with 'the joint :sprout: and boiled spinach :sprout: . Spinach seemed to grow in the garden for at least 12 months of the year.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 28th, 2018, 11:26 am

earthmaiden wrote:thought the danger with rice was keeping it warm or tepid after cooking rather than cooling it and refrigerating straight away. That's when the nasties get in so if you've been diligent about that reheating should be ok. What do others think?

Exactly
This was where I went into it in more depth
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14876&hilit=cereus#p422172
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 11:29 am

This thread reminded me to get some more frozen spinach as the last of the Swiss chard in the garden has been pulled out in order to sow more ......... the whole of Norfolk must've been reading this thread ... W'rose only had one bag left, and that's the chopped and not the whole leaf, so that will definitely need thawing in a sieve before using.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 28th, 2018, 1:10 pm

I usually have a bag too but have only just finished the garden stuff. I adore spinach in any form but I never tasted it until I met Mr R's parents because although keen gardners none of my family ever grew it or thought about eating it.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 28th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Really useful thread! Thanks Tezza!
KC2
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 28th, 2018, 6:08 pm

When I find spinach in the market, I buy a load of it. If I can eat some straight away, I do, but otherwise, I wash it to remove any grit, put it in a pan, put the lid on, and when the spinach wilts ( with the water clinging to it), it´s ready, in my book.
The resulting spinach is then frozen in convenient portions!
I´ve never heard of spinach nuggets.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 28th, 2018, 6:35 pm

I like spinach slightly wilted with nutmeg... but only a tad....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 28th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Spinach nuggets was my shape description, not what they are called on the bag. :grin:

With regards to my rice, I chilled the leftovers immediately then reheated next day until absolutely piping hot. It was either that or eat it cold as part of a salad. Rice is one of those foods I am always careful with. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » April 28th, 2018, 8:13 pm

I buy fresh, washed, spinach, and any unused spinach gets chucked straight in the freezer. If necessary, it crumbles easily from frozen. I haven’t bought the nuggets for years. (Not being snobby about them, I:just haven’t needed them.)
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 29th, 2018, 7:26 am

I thought I would share a spinach recipe I just found in my copy of Peanut Butter Planet by Robin Robertson. A lovely book. It's for spicy spinach and peanut crostini. Cook spinach in olive oil with garlic, dried chilli flakes and a touch of salt, mix in some peanut butter and serve on toasted bread of choice. I'm going to try that! :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » April 29th, 2018, 9:43 am

i haven't bought frozen spinach for years (i haven't anything against it but fresh has been available for free). starting the freezer clean yesterday showed just how long as i found a pack hiding at the bottom dated 2009. oops! i've obviously not checked the date before - or i'm a slattern - take your pick!
i may try that too, tezza, it sounds interesting.
one of the baby foods i used to make was mashed up potato, spinach and cheese. frozen spinach nuggets were very useful for that, just the right amount.
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » April 29th, 2018, 9:09 pm

scullion wrote: i found a pack hiding at the bottom dated 2009. oops!

I hate that many foods don’t have the year on the ‘Best Before’ dates. I’m never sure if food has been in my freezer for one year...or ten! ;)
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 29th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Mashed potato, spinach and cheese sounds nice.

I added three nuggets to baked beans tonight before heating to put on top of a jacket potato. Very nice indeed!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » May 1st, 2018, 6:35 pm

We use it lots in all sorts. Omelettes and egg dishes, rice and pasta dishes, curries, savoury muffins. I agree with defrosting slightly or a quick 20 second microwave before squeezing the excess water out.

Another freezer staple is Mediterranean veg mix of ready grilled peppers, courgettes and aubergine. Very handy to have in.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Return to The Kitchen