Muesli - your favourite mix

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Muesli - your favourite mix

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 14th, 2018, 2:23 pm

If you are a muesli fan, do you have a favourite brand or do you mix your own blend?

This is my favourite current breakfast thing but I just can't seem to find a brand that I 100% like. The one I am on at the moment is Tesco fruit and nut. Not basic or luxury, just regular. Tasty enough, but as usual far too many raisins! I have found the same problem with many other brands. Raisins must be a cheap filler.

Aside from oats, I also enjoy pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, dried banana, dried apple, hazelnuts, almonds, dried exotic fruits such as pineapple. Just not raisins! There are some brands that contain no raisins but the prices are a bit steep. It would be cheaper to choose a good one and pick the raisins out! I'm thinking I should mix my own blend but would this work out just as expensive?

How do you like your muesli?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Muesli - your favourite mix

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I do like raisings, so my favourite is Dorset cereals which has very nice ones and costs a lot

But on the whole I prefer the texture of granola, problem is it's crispy because it contains more sugar and oil (basically it is toffee glazed muesli, when you think about it) Mornflake is cheaper, less sugary, and IMO nicer than most
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 14th, 2018, 2:36 pm

I’m a Dorset Cereals girl, the nutty muesli rather than the fruity ones. Not cheap but usually bought when on offer.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Our current favourite is this one https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 333-136334

It's really tasty and very filling and we find we're having smaller helpings than usual, so although it's got quite a lot of sugars we eating fewer calories.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm

We like the Lidl ones - they're fantastic value and really good.
Either https://bit.ly/2IkkNcH or https://bit.ly/2KZKUHB
KC2
Registered

Postby dennispc » May 15th, 2018, 8:09 am

Own mix. Kilo of large oats mixed with sultanas, hand chopped apricots and dates, machine whizzed nuts and ground flax seed. No longer use seeds. Because of my salt levels, occasionally a spoonful of machine whizzed salted peanuts added to the bowl.

That's despite loving Dorset Cereals and Granola.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » May 15th, 2018, 10:02 am

For a bought muesli we have the Lidl blue packet one but otherwise we have a tub of bircher type in the fridge (our favourite) made up in a tub (ex Lidl Greek yoghurt bucket) with two thirds of the bucket porridge oats, a finely chopped apple, a handful of raisins (preferably lexia) the juice of a lemon (or a long squeeze of jiffy type) and a couple of big desertspoons of honey.fill to the top with water and leave overnight in the fridge.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 1:17 pm

I'll definitely be experimenting with overnight bircher muesli. I might follow your recipe scullion, minus the raisins though.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 15th, 2018, 1:47 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I'll definitely be experimenting with overnight bircher muesli. I might follow your recipe scullion, minus the raisins though.

:lol: :lol:

Do you dislike raisins, tezza? My niece thinks they're the food of the devil! (She's 40+ btw, and has hated them all her life!) :lol: :lol:

At Christmas I always give her a Pandoro, as she obviously doesn't like panettone :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I'd much prefer a Pandora to a Panettone any day of the week, although I don't think I've tried either! I can't say that I dislike raisins, or candied fruits for that matter, I just think there's a very infrequent time and a place for them. Can you still buy those little matchbox sized boxes of raisins for packed lunches? What was that all about? Like a handy little portion of rabbit droppings. No thanks! :shock:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 15th, 2018, 4:31 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I'll definitely be experimenting with overnight bircher muesli. I might follow your recipe scullion.

:sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
Can't stand either the smell or the. texture of oats soaked but not cooked. Try a bit and see which camp you fall into, think it's pretty marmite
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » May 15th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Another vote for Lidl’s Luxury muesli.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Return to The Kitchen