Chicken drumsticks

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Chicken drumsticks

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 20th, 2018, 5:20 am

I have been given a big tray of these for my freezer. I guess that being BBQ season they are in abundance in the shops right now.

I know they are mainly skin and bone, but the meat, once roasted, I find very good, but have only ever used the meat in baguettes with salad and mayo.

I have no BBQ and no plans to get one any time soon.

So what else can I do with them?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Chicken drumsticks

Postby earthmaiden » May 20th, 2018, 8:07 am

I think it's easier to gnaw the meat off the bone than try to remove it. My favourite thing to do with drumsticks or thighs is a tray bake.

Proportions appropriate to how many are being fed. Take small new potatoes & parboil. Meanwhile preheat oven - around 200c or Gas 6-7. Rub the drumsticks with olive oil and season. Brown them in a pan. Place the chicken & potatoes in roasting tin - preferably one where they fit fairly snugly. Ad cherry tomatoes halved cloves of garlic. PourOlive oil and red wine vinegar (or balsamic) and oregano. Toss it all together and roast for about 45 mins. The chicken and potatoes should be golden, the tomatoes oozing juices and the garlic sift enough to squeeze so that another stir creates a delicious juice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 20th, 2018, 8:56 am

That sounds perfect for today EM. I can get this lot in the oven (I have everything in!) while we crack on with decorating. I think some crusty bread and cold ciders could go well with this!

Still need other ideas for another day please folks!

Does anyone have a favourite sticky marinade per chance? Something BBQ'y but for the oven?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2018, 9:04 am

I don't bother to pre-brown small bits like drumsticks, and so bake at a slightly lower temperature, perhaps gas mark 5, 180 C fan

I tend to marinade in advance of baking, put the frozen pieces into almost any marinade you like, an Asian one including soy sauce, ginger, garlic, spring onion and a bit of 5spice is good. Or thaw and rub with a dry mix such as za'atar or any mix of dry herbs and spices you like

Reminds me I should get some small chicken pieces, I have seasoning pastes in the fridge
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 20th, 2018, 9:30 am

The recipe I use is for chicken wings but that shouldn't matter! The recipe is for 12 wings so would need to be pared down accordingly.

Set oven to 200c - gas 7. Put chicken in roasting tin. Mix 2 tbsp grainy mustard. 1 heaped tablespoon runny honey, juice from one large lemon. Add crushed garlic and seasoning.

Toss the chicken in the honey mixture until well coated. Roast 40 mins then turn over and cook 10 more mins. They should by then be very dark and sticky.

I agree with Sue, possibly less time for drumsticks and you could marinade for longer.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2018, 9:57 am

I also agree - unleash your inner Henry VIII and pick them up and gnaw
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 20th, 2018, 10:49 am

I like to marinade them in natural yoghurt, lemon juice and curry paste, then bake them until the meat falls off the bone. Great for picnics. Alternatively use them for a chicken and olive tagine with preserved lemons. Cheap and cheerful but very tasty.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 20th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Slash the meat then rub olive oil, garlic, lime juice, chilli and coriander pushing in to the cuts. Prefer thighs to drumsticks though
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 20th, 2018, 1:43 pm

To be honest there are so many things you can do. Surely if you think back to your days when you worked in professional kitchens you can re ignite your cooking mojo with some ideas
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 20th, 2018, 6:07 pm

I didn't really do a lot of meat cooking when I worked in kitchens Catherine, so this is a bit of a learning curve for me. :chef:

I didn't get to cook the chicken today as we didn't have time to stop, and I like the look of this dish for tomorrow. :tu:

Meganthemog wrote:I like to marinade them in natural yoghurt, lemon juice and curry paste, then bake them until the meat falls off the bone. Great for picnics.

I have, again, everything in for this. Some other lovely ideas here too, so thanks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 20th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 21st, 2018, 6:59 am

That looks right up my street, Catherine - thanks a lot!
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 21st, 2018, 7:07 am

I've never eaten chorizo, love the smell of it cooking, but had a horrible experience with a tasting of Polish spicy sausage last year, not sure I'd be tempted to try anything similar again. But thanks anyway because I could omit the chorizo and am sure that would be yummy!

I am just about to open a can of coconut milk to make my next batch of banana ice cream but only need half for that, so as I have already had some drummers marinating overnight in yoghurt, lemon juice and curry paste think I will coconut them up a bit and make a bit of a curry later.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 21st, 2018, 7:39 am

You can freeze left over coconut milk if you don't want to use it immediately.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » May 21st, 2018, 7:53 am

You can freeze left over coconut milk

Thank you for the timely reminder to get mine out of the freezer for a Thai curry this evening :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 21st, 2018, 8:42 am

earthmaiden wrote:You can freeze left over coconut milk if you don't want to use it immediately.

Ooh, lovely, I didn't know that. Thanks! This time round it's gone in with the bananas to be devoured later. :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » May 21st, 2018, 4:36 pm

You could do something completely different and make salt chicken shreds
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 22nd, 2018, 7:46 am

I'll Google salt chicken shreds, never heard of those!

My coconut curry drumsticks were lovely! A bit too much marinade, a bit watery, but wrapped in foil they baked happily for about 50 minutes and I served them on rice with lots of the sauce poured over. Very succulent, lots of meat on them, the Henry VIII in me came out so there was no wastage. I'll make those again as they were so simple and so tasty, and no real washing up, just turfed the foil in the bin, quick tray rinse, a doddle. Would probably stick some veggies in (onions, peppers, new potatoes) next time and maybe uncover towards the end.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » May 22nd, 2018, 12:54 pm

MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 22nd, 2018, 3:30 pm

MM - thanks for that. I could be quite tempted to spend time creating that dish. How interesting that the only other ingredient needed is salt. A lovely blog too!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 22nd, 2018, 7:32 pm

MM - have you ever actually made that? :o
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » May 23rd, 2018, 9:19 am

Yes, several times.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 24th, 2018, 9:49 am

Good to know, I wasn't sure if it was one of those recipes you keep and never make or if it was a favourite! At first sight it sounds quite fatty but I bet the cooking process makes it delicious.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » May 24th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Sounds like chefs perks, the scraping of the stuck bits at the bottom of the roasting :luv: tin
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » May 24th, 2018, 4:45 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:Sounds like chefs perks, the scraping of the stuck bits at the bottom of the roasting :luv: tin

Spot on!

Thanks MM. I'll bookmark it for another occasion.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby mum-at-the-oven » May 26th, 2018, 11:27 am

I find that garlic powder works better than crushed garlic in marinades because of the tendency to burn
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Mamta » May 29th, 2018, 5:54 am

Drumsticks lend themselves well to any Tandoori chicken recipe. There are 100s of ways of making it.
Chicken marinated in a tandoori marinate, can simply be added to a pan and cooked like a curry, delicious!
This easy recipe is also nice; Steve's Secret Spicy Fried Chicken Mix
Mamta
Registered

Return to The Kitchen