The Herb Savory

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

The Herb Savory

Postby Zosherooney » May 31st, 2018, 5:32 pm

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pot of the above and I am now a total convert! It's wonderful and I am sad that I did not discover it earlier !

Rats, very kindly, gave everyone from WF at Quo Vadis a pack of Herbs de Provence which contains Sarriette (Savory) - again a wonderful classic mix of herbs.

Have you used it, or like me, discovered it by chance ? What do you put it in...... Does it raise your passion levels ? !!!

'Summer savory was sometimes referred to as the ‘herb of love’ and was used as a tonic for reinvigorating passion.'
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: The Herb Savory

Postby Herbidacious » May 31st, 2018, 5:38 pm

I just bought some as a companion plants for my broad beans, but not actually cooked with it, so interested to hear what people use it for.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 31st, 2018, 5:58 pm

I grow Winter Savory, which is perennial, and very similar to thyme, IMO. I generally use it as part of mixed fresh herbs.

It's said to reduce the flatulent effect of beans.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » May 31st, 2018, 7:34 pm

Both winter and summer Savory are lovely and the flowers are really pretty. Just use it as you would sage or thyme. It is really easy to grow
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 31st, 2018, 9:11 pm

I've been using savory for a long time
The mix in herbes de Provence - roughly equal parts of thyme, rosemary, savory, and oregano, sometimes with just a tad of basil; Provencal basil is the small leaved type, often known as Greek in the UK so a bit stronger when dried than Genoese basil

If you have them all fresh, these herbs can be used as a mixture either chopped or in a bouquet, and it really does flavour lamb, chicken and vegetable dishes beautifully

Savory is not only grown with broad beans, but cooked with them, just a sprig as you might put a stem of mint in with peas or new potatoes. In fact savory is a great herb with any kind of dried bean, if you are making a bean sald ensure here is savory in the cooking water

I have grown winter savory from seed, it takes ages to get going, as it is a woody herb like rosemary, I think the reason my last one (bought in a pot) died was because it was immature. So I would suggest that if you see one for sale that already has a woody stem, your grab it!

Last year I grew both summer and winter savory from seed, there was a slight different in flavour but not a lot, and I don't think I'll bother with summer savory again, unless as a companion plant
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 31st, 2018, 11:23 pm

Suelle wrote:It's said to reduce the flatulent effect of beans.

Definitely the herb of passion then. ;)

I haven't grown any for a while but it's a nice omelette herb amongst so many other things.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 1st, 2018, 6:45 am

I can tell you one thing: the slugs love it. They have pretty much destroyed one plant over night.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 1st, 2018, 9:35 am

Herbidacious wrote:I can tell you one thing: the slugs love it. They have pretty much destroyed one plant over night.

Presumably that's summer (annual)?
I think my baby winter savory is already too woody to appeal (I hooe!)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » June 1st, 2018, 9:49 am

I cut back my winter savory every year, and the new growth doesn't seem very woody for the best part of the year - and because the leaves are bigger, it's easier to strip them off the stems than it is thyme, if they do get a bit woody. I've had the plant about 10 years now.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » June 1st, 2018, 2:57 pm

I have the summer variety currently. Luckily, our slugs ignore it (wish they'd also ignore my hollyhocks but no such luck... :rolleyes: )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 2nd, 2018, 1:36 pm

Sariette is winter savory. Alone it is gorgeous, as has been said, with beans, especially broad beans.
Another frequent use in these parts is with goats cheese, particularly if you are going to grill it to srve as a starter or salad. A sprig of it, a good grinding of black pepper and a drizzle of Olive oil - food for the gods.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm

So Rats, which one goes into Herbs de Provence ? Winter or Summer ? Are they both called Sariette ? Sorry about all the questions.... :oops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 3rd, 2018, 2:47 pm

Winter Zosh ! But summer does just the same with cheese.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 3rd, 2018, 10:30 pm

Merci beaucoup mon amis !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 6th, 2018, 7:00 am

Where do people get their savoury (plants) from? Is it easy to grow from seed?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 6th, 2018, 7:44 am

It is quite hard to get hold of plants since Jekka McVicar stopped doing mail order, though always worth a look
My current plants were grown from seed (Chiltern Seeds) last year, I didn't have a heated propagator then and they spent a long time as straggly little plants that I was worried about. I was careful not to let them get waterlogged and they suddenly took off almost as soon as the snow thawed, and I actually trimeed them a little to keep them denseand bushy. I've had a few flowers, and expect more, they are quite pretty little mauve faces
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 6th, 2018, 7:50 am

IMG_20180606_0847154_rewind.jpg
Savory
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 6th, 2018, 8:12 am

This nursery has several types of Savory I think.

http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/

They do mail order, but don’t how easy it is to order from him, or if the postage costs are prohibitive, because he is my neighbour, I just buy direct. Great quality plants, and a huge range...I’ve always found them very helpful.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 6th, 2018, 8:58 am

They look very healthy, Sue.

I ordered some from the Victorian Nursery.

What a lovely thing to have near you, patpoyntz.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 6th, 2018, 9:54 am

I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of this wonderful place, which sells just about every variety of herb known to man or woman:

http://www.herbfarm.co.uk/

Having said that, my current summer savory was actually from the local Wyvale garden centre.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 6th, 2018, 10:20 am

Oooh Seatallen - that looks nice! I must go and have a look :bounce:

DD used to live near here https://herbcentre.co.uk/ which was lovely but I don't go that way so much now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Oooh Seatallen - that looks nice! I must go and have a look :bounce:

Do EM- it's super. There's a lovely cafe, a maze and an excellent farm shop as well as the herb nursery. Your link looks lovely too.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 8:08 am

Here is the Savoury I bought yesterday .... Rats says that Sarriette is WINTER Savoury and the Dutch translation on the label seems to confirm this ;) :tu: Whilst I can see the likeness to thyme, I cannot see how it could be used in place of Sage as Catherine suggest though :?
Attachments
savoury.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2018, 10:01 am

I looked it up and one French name for summer savory is sariette commun (common savory) so it can be ambiguous. Especially if relying on a Dutch translation :rolleyes: The French sometimes qualify winter savory as sariette de montagne (mountain savory)

That looks like winter to me, if it has the Latin name then it should be satureja montana....
So in both French and Latin the name implies a mountain life and I think that's possibly the clue to growing both savory and oregano, they will survive cold as long as the roots aren't too wet, I filled the saucers under the pots with pebbles last autumn so they wouldn't get waterlogged and they seem to have quite enjoyed The Beast from the East :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 11:08 am

If it can go in the garden and doesn't like to get too wet, I have just the spot ... right alongside my thyme and right outside the conservatory doors ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Sounds like a plan Pat :tu: :tu:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 12th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Is it straight forward to grow? I bought 3 plants of the summer variety. One died (partly slugs) another is not thriving. The third is doing well. The first was in a small pot (I just potted it on). The second went in a larger container with broad beans. The third - the one that’s thriving- is in a 12 inch pot also with broad beans. I have just bought another 5 as companion plants to my artichokes which have black aphids.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 12th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I will let you know if mine thrives/survives, but I think I have Winter Savoury (Savory ?) and didn't Rats say that is hardier ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 12th, 2018, 1:58 pm

My winter savory is very slow growing
I potted it on after I took the photo to put them in real terracotta pots, to match the rest.
After a year in those pots they weren't even nearly full of roots
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen