Beetroot greens

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Beetroot greens

Postby Mamta » June 7th, 2018, 5:43 am

I just wondered if those of you guys who grow their own vegetables, use beetroot leaves in your cooking, or just throw them away?
I like to use them in various recipes, like Leaves stirfried bhaji (curry?), Pakoras (bhajis) bedan fritters. I cook them in dals, with potatoes and even add them to meat curries. They are delicious and nutritious. I just wish supermarket didn't chop them off and throw them away!
Mamta
Registered

Re: Beetroot greens

Postby Zosherooney » June 7th, 2018, 6:12 am

Mamta, start a campaign !!!! Already too much food waste... I have a parsnip that has gone to seed, I intend to harvest seeds for next year. I wonder if you can cook with the leaves ????
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 7th, 2018, 6:12 am

I will check the horta (greens) section in the green grocers, they are usually good on seasonal greens

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 6:22 am

Oh yes , I use them as a vegetable if I'm using home grown beet, and farm shops, market stalls and some green grocers that sell nice fresh veg often have bunched beet with the leaves still attached.
The problem with supermarket beet is that they've usually been stored and the leaves wouldn't be fresh ... also if the leaves remain on the beet they draw nutrition and moisture from the beet which then become soft and wrinkled ... that's why leaves are removed if the beet aren't being sold almost immediately.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 8:11 am

I usually buy bunch of (organic) beetroot from Tesco to use the beets in my veg smoothies ... I have tried cooking with the leaves - well in fact made a kind of pickle with them, but not my favourite food of choice :!: :sprout: But then I don't like Chard either - something else I just don't 'get' ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 7th, 2018, 8:49 am

Zosh, parsnip is not an Indian vegetable, at least it wasn't when I grew up in India, so don't know. Radish seed pods on the other hand, are delicious raw in salads or when cooked. I probably have a recipe on my website.
Thanks for that information, I didn't know. It makes sense about loosing moisture/nutrition.
Pat, if you cook both chard and beet/radish/turnip leaves the Indian way, you will fall in love with themn, especially as pakoras (Bhaji in UK,) :chops:
Mamta
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 9:26 am

Mamta wrote:Pat, if you cook both chard and beet/radish/turnip leaves the Indian way, you will fall in love with themn, especially as pakoras (Bhaji in UK,)

thanks Mamta .. I will give them a try then (well the beet leaves anyway) .. are there recipes on your blog ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 9:38 am

i use older beetroot leaves in the same way as chard and young, small ones in salad. i also use radish leaves as a green veg and have cooked the pods when the plants made no roots but lots of flowers - they were a bit stringy as they weren't 'rats-tail' ones (the ones grown for the pods).
it was the norm to use the greens and roots of veg like that when i was little. i blame supermarkets for the loss of food knowledge (for all the worlds ills, actually!).
i also have a patch of mustard (i sow black mustard seeds) to use the leaves as a green and the flowers in salads.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 7th, 2018, 9:54 am

You have reminded me that cauliflower are sold trimmed in supermarkets. We always ate the leaves when I was a child, they were even added to cauliflower cheese. It's odd isn't it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 10:00 am

earthmaiden wrote:You have reminded me that cauliflower are sold trimmed in supermarkets. We always ate the leaves when I was a child, they were even added to cauliflower cheese. It's odd isn't it.

i always buy cauli with the leaves on and use them in cauliflower cheese or just cooked as a green.
when they are out of season at the farm gate nearby i buy them in lidl with the leaves on.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 10:12 am

Zosherooney wrote: I have a parsnip that has gone to seed, I intend to harvest seeds for next year. I wonder if you can cook with the leaves ????

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/26962.aspx

https://selfsufficientish.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=11050

Differing opinions ... but the problem with the sap causing photosensitivity and skin burns is well known. Remember they're traditionally harvested in the winter after the leaves have died down in the frost ... there's a reason for that, and it's not simply the improved flavour despite what 'tradition' says ... it's because the leaves can caused problems to the workers harvesting them by hand in the days before mechanisation.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 10:13 am

scullion wrote:i always buy cauli with the leaves on and use them in cauliflower cheese or just cooked as a green.

Ditto :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 7th, 2018, 10:22 am

I love beetroot leaves. Like you, Mamta, I use them in stir-fried bhajis and pakoras. I also like to mix them with dal, or mung beans.
I was in the market the other day - buying beetroot - and we had an interesting discussion about the leaves. I ended up giving a brief talk on how to use them :lol: :lol: and ended up with a couple of kilos - free - because most people discard them!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2018, 10:24 am

I always cook beet leaves when I get them and like them, but I can't imagine pickling them Pat! Treat them as spinach

I certainly wouldn't eat parsnip leaves myself as they contain psoralens, which are pretty darn toxic. The compost heap will benefit more than you will :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 11:12 am

StokeySue wrote:I always cook beet leaves when I get them and like them, but I can't imagine pickling them Pat! Treat them as spinach

I can't remember what I did with them now ... they are still in a container in the fridge, having been treated a bit like red cabbage, so probably I have confused you with the term 'pickling' :aww:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 7th, 2018, 2:37 pm

scullion wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:You have reminded me that cauliflower are sold trimmed in supermarkets. We always ate the leaves when I was a child, they were even added to cauliflower cheese. It's odd isn't it.

i always buy cauli with the leaves on and use them in cauliflower cheese or just cooked as a green.
when they are out of season at the farm gate nearby i buy them in lidl with the leaves on.

I eat the stalk too, taking only mm off the bottom when preparing it
Catherine
Registered

Postby Mamta » June 7th, 2018, 3:19 pm

it was the norm to use the greens and roots of veg like that when i was little. i blame supermarkets for the loss of food knowledge (for all the worlds ills, actually!).
i also have a patch of mustard (i sow black mustard seeds) to use the leaves as a green and the flowers in salads.

Scullion, these things are dying down with younger generations in India too, but not as fast as here. The brassica leaves are still sold separately in India, even the stalks, which make another lovely Indian dish (yes, on my website :))

You have reminded me that cauliflower are sold trimmed in supermarkets. We always ate the leaves when I was a child, they were even added to cauliflower cheese. It's odd isn't it.

For a family of two, there are still enough leaves left on the cauliflower sold in supermarkets, at least in Sainsbury’s, to make a decent dish.

I love beetroot leaves. Like you, Mamta, I use them in stir-fried bhajis and pakoras. I also like to mix them with dal, or mung beans.
I was in the market the other day - buying beetroot - and we had an interesting discussion about the leaves. I ended up giving a brief talk on how to use them and ended up with a couple of kilos - free - because most people discard them!

Lucky you Clive, getting fresh leaves in abundance, enjoy. I don’t grow beet any more. In fact, I grow very few things now.
They are like spinach leaves. Whatever you can do with spinach, you can do with beet leaves. How about making some beetroot leaves and paneer bhaji, instead of Palak Paneer? I never have enough leaves for that!
I have never heard of any one eating parsnip leaves, I don’t know much about them at all.

I eat the stalk too, taking only mm off the bottom when preparing it

I always add stalks to my leaves bhaji. I slit it in 4 and it is lovely to eat, almost like you would eat a bone=marrow. Some people pickle it too, but I have only made pickle style bhaji with them. I wish I lived near a farm ;)!
Mamta
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 3:58 pm

i always use the stalk, too - other than being great raw it's like cheat's water chestnut if you put the slices in stir fry at the last minute.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 7th, 2018, 9:37 pm

I think I will give eating the 'snip leaves a miss...... Swindon hospital probably don't want to see me again quite so soon ! The 'snip 'trees' are over 7 feet tall now with a sort of cow parsley (yellow) flower on the top that the bees are loving !
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen