'Bone-in lamb belly'

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

'Bone-in lamb belly'

Postby miss mouse » July 25th, 2018, 4:06 pm

What cut is meant? Do they mean breast? I saw two references to it today which is odd.
miss mouse
Registered

Re: 'Bone-in lamb belly'

Postby suffolk » July 25th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Yes ... I've noticed this ... I think it's an attempt to cash in on the popularity of belly of pork... no one buys breast of lamb (except me apparently and people buying it for their dogs) because they think it's fatty. If they can popularise it they can put the price up ... belly of pork used to be a cheap cut ... not any more.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 25th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Thanks Suffs, that makes sense.

Waitrose had perhaps still has boneless stewing shoulder of lamb at £19per kg. What? I see bone in stewing is back at a much more attractive price.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2018, 4:50 pm

There’s also a tendency to do breast as “ribs”, partly because ribs are very trendy, and perhaps because that’s how they are cooked in many parts of the Mediterranean.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 25th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Well, my breast is some way from my belly ;). What was lamb belly before breast became belly? :? (I haven't bought lamb much for 30 years and have forgotten).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » July 25th, 2018, 7:03 pm

suffolk wrote:Yes ... I've noticed this ... I think it's an attempt to cash in on the popularity of belly of pork... no one buys breast of lamb (except me apparently and people buying it for their dogs) because they think it's fatty. If they can popularise it they can put the price up ... belly of pork used to be a cheap cut ... not any more.

I buy it because it makes a lovely stock for soup. I boil it and leave it overnight and skim it in the morning, I put the veg etc in with the lamb again and eat it once soup is ready because it takes on a lovely flavour :luv:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 25th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Ribs were definitely a cut for making broth with when I was growing up in the 70s and sold for making soup, the boned breast was a separate cut, usually stuffed and in the local butchers advertised as an "end of the month roast" - a big local factory had moved to paying workers monthly! I was never that keen on the soup then mainly because my Mum didn't make the stock & skim the fat seperately so it was always really greasy though the flavour was great. I have a boned breast of lamb in the freezer, stashed for the coming winter. Any scraps will be heading towards the stock pot :D I've never heard of being sold as "belly" - sounds (as previous said) like a ploy to increase the price. That said the piece I have in the freezer wasn't cheap, though still good value IMHO at around £6 a kilo.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2018, 8:41 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Well, my breast is some way from my belly ;). What was lamb belly before breast became belly? :? (I haven't bought lamb much for 30 years and have forgotten).

As already said,belly and breast are the sane cut, it's fairly obvious if you look at one bone in and see the way the bones run. The actual flabby bit that runs down from where the ribs finish isn't really a cut, it is used for making lard (pig, obvs) and any muscle separated out goes into mince or sausages or similar
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » July 25th, 2018, 8:46 pm

When I was a kid in Kirkcaldy beef bones were readily available in all butchers/supermarkets and still were when I used to visit my mum before she passed away. Very cheap and made great stocks for soup, loved eating them afterwards; fat and all :D. Can't get beef bones in Leeds with the meat still on and that's why I started buying breast of lamb.

Cheers
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 25th, 2018, 9:04 pm

StokeySue wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:Well, my breast is some way from my belly ;). What was lamb belly before breast became belly? :? (I haven't bought lamb much for 30 years and have forgotten).

As already said,belly and breast are the sane cut, it's fairly obvious if you look at one bone in and see the way the bones run. The actual flabby bit that runs down from where the ribs finish isn't really a cut, it is used for making lard (pig, obvs) and any muscle separated out goes into mince or sausages or similar

I didn't think that was really clear actually. Seems very odd to me that anything called belly would be more attractive than breast :o.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 25th, 2018, 9:17 pm

I do a tagine type of dish with breast of lamb, it's good if the ribs are cut through because the stuffing I make can then be put in the middle and it soaks up the juice/fat. It makes for a very tasty inexpensive (until this....) dish.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 26th, 2018, 9:08 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:When I was a kid in Kirkcaldy beef bones were readily available in all butchers/supermarkets and still were when I used to visit my mum before she passed away. Very cheap and made great stocks for soup, loved eating them afterwards; fat and all :D. Can't get beef bones in Leeds with the meat still on and that's why I started buying breast of lamb.

Cheers

Our local Morrisons sells meaty beef bones as well as boiling beef - could be worth asking at the butcher's counter if you have a store near by.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2018, 9:23 am

Our butcher on the market sells meaty beef bones ... in fact he'll sell whatever you ask him for ... if he hasn't got it he'll get it in :D

As a youngster I loved stuffed and rolled breast of lamb so much I thought it was a luxury cut. When I first married I spent 10/- every week on a joint of something for the weekend ... one weekend I asked the butcher for ten shillings worth of breast of lamb ... he went into the cold store and came out with three whole breasts then went back in and came out with two more .... embarrassed I mumbled that three would be enough ... 'Got yourselves a dog have you?' asked the butcher who had known me since childhood ... I said, 'I'm going to Mum's ... she wants them for the freezer' .... he knew they had dogs. I visited Mum on the way home and we shared the lamb out and she had a laugh and said she'd keep my secret :lol:

It's about time we had stuffed breast of lamb again ... as soon as the weather cools down. I always buy it with the bones in and bone it out myself and remove a lot of the fat, then stuff it with a traditional forcemeat stuffing of parsley and thyme ... sometimes with a light grating of orange zest if there's one in the house.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2018, 9:32 am

I can get beef bones from the butcher too

I sometimes unroll a boned breast, crumble on some haggis, re-roll, and pot roadt
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm

When we were newly married and quite poor, I used to get a breast of lamb, with bones, and roast it whole until it was really crispy, then slice it and eat it with fingers like spare ribs, usually with mint sauce. Eventually we realised we shouldn’t be eating as much fat, so moved on....but I still remember what a treat it was.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 26th, 2018, 3:35 pm

suffolk wrote:It's about time we had stuffed breast of lamb again

Oh yes please! I adore it and so does Mr S. :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Not in this heat tho Seatallen ... I'm melting ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 26th, 2018, 7:59 pm

One of our favourites. I have always used breast of lamb, Annie gave me a fab recipe for a thick soup, almost a stew really, when we were all on the beeb board. Dead easy but needs a couple of days as you need to cook, cool and get rid ofall the fat before adding all the vegetables and spuds. One for colder weather though.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » July 26th, 2018, 8:14 pm

LTC, unfortunately none of the supermarkets sell it in Leeds. Best option is breast or neck of lamb, but it does make a good soup.

Cheers
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 26th, 2018, 9:13 pm

northleedsbhoy wrote:LTC, unfortunately none of the supermarkets sell it in Leeds. Best option is breast or neck of lamb, but it does make a good soup.

Cheers

Och that's a shame, still at least you can get breast or neck of lamb
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 27th, 2018, 8:29 am

Now neck of lamb is one of our favourites, for navarin in the spring and a good hearty casserol in the winter - preferably with dumplings!

Breast I too used to roll it and stuff it for roasting or simmer for stock then cut up the ribs, with the meat still on then dip them in egg and breadcrumbs and fry until crisp.

Belly pork is called poitrine (breast) here. Only they don't cook it with crackling. It is usually turned into salt pork. I have trained my butcher to leave the skin on so I can slow cook it. Being not seen as a great thing it is still very very cheap.
I have never ever seen anything even vaguely like breast of lamb. Must ask Mr Malavard.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2018, 10:55 am

I have seen whole necks of lamb for sale locally, I'm thinking of doing a Silvena Rowe recipe and slow cooking
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen