Tinned guavas

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Tinned guavas

Postby Ratatouille » August 12th, 2018, 10:21 am

I am a guava addict having fond memories of various guava desserts in the Bahamas. However here I have to make do with tinned ones.

I used to have a recipe for a mousse made with the tinned fruit but can I find it?

Can anyone help?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Tinned guavas

Postby earthmaiden » August 12th, 2018, 10:27 am

Rats, if you put GUAVA IN THE Wildie search there is a thread about mini birthday treats where you posted a cheesecake recipe. I suppose it's not one and the same??
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 12th, 2018, 10:34 am

I used to love tinned guavas, but I haven't seen them for years.

My M-I-L always included them in her food parcels when she visited, or when we went to see her. I was never quite sure whether she thought we were poor, thought I couldn't look after her son properly, or just wanted to show her love with food treats.

Can't help with the recipe, but it shouldn't be too hard to work out what to do, once you've removed the seeds and puréed the fruit.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » August 13th, 2018, 4:31 pm

Suelle wrote:I used to love tinned guavas, but I haven't seen them for years

You can get it in waitrose
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 13th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I made some guava jelly a couple of weeks ago. Tell you what, Rats, next time you're over I'll get a jar to you. We're lucky in that local Asian supermarkets has plenty of the fresh variety at the moment.

There's a recipe for mousse here that might fit the bill?

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/32426/cu ... ousse.aspx
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 13th, 2018, 4:51 pm

I like guavas but seldom buy any kind of canned fruit

I too searched for a recipe, but there aren't many that look promising and most use remarkably few guavas, can't imagine them having much flavour

This was the most plausible I found
https://www.cooks.com/recipe/448d38g/guava-mousse.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 14th, 2018, 11:55 am

For anyone who´s ever tasted an exquisitely perfumed fresh guava, evidently there´s no comparison with the rather bland tinned version. Having said that, tinned guavas were my favourite curry house sweet course for years.
Here´s a recipe from Mexico that looks ok. Can´t say I´ve ever made the mousse so this is not T&T:
400 gms whipping cream
500 gms guava
1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsps caster sugar
10 gms gelatine soaked in 1/3 cup of water
Beat the cream and caster sugar into stiff peaks.
Liquidise the guava with the sugar
Fold the fruit into the cream, add the gelatine . Place in a serving bowl and refrigerate for an hour before serving.

her
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 14th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Thanks Clive, that sounds a bit more like it. I see a lot of the recipes use guava paste.

You are so right about fresh guavas but thy don't grow well in Provence!

Sue: Guavas and gooseberries are some of the few tinned fruits I buy - for obvious reasons
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kavey » August 21st, 2018, 10:15 am

I adore fresh ripe guavas but wouldn't recommend buying them in the UK. For well over two decades I've tried to do so from all manner of different shop types and places. Every single time, even if the aroma is there, strongly, the taste is absent. I can only assume the aroma develops earlier than the ripeness that brings sweetness and flavour.
Kavey
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 21st, 2018, 1:11 pm

I bought some on Saturday, and purposely left them in the kitchen overnight so that I could make jam the following day.The perfume was intoxicating!
Perhaps when guavas are transported to another country ( or continent), some chemical substance is sprayed on them to retard ripeness. I´ve had exactly the same experience with (British) mangoes and pineapples.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 21st, 2018, 1:49 pm

I have a feeling that, like tomatoes, the skin can be more aromatic than the flesh? Just a thought
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 21st, 2018, 3:08 pm

I think they're worth buying fresh for the scent alone. :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Kavey » August 22nd, 2018, 4:45 pm

Not sure what it is KK but it's definitely not a fruit that exports well.
Mangoes, well you can definitely get absolutely gorgeous Pakistani mangoes here, they transport very well.
Some shops sell crappy quality but my local Asian store are very quality conscious and I only very rarely have disappointments with them.
Kavey
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 23rd, 2018, 12:31 am

I have no idea what the chemical is, Kavey; I read somewhere that it´s something like "ethylene"?? something that stops the fruit from ripening. I´m sure Stokey Sue could enlighten us.
However, I´m sure you and perhaps other members of the board have experienced the glorious flavours of fresh mango, guava, pineapple, etc. in tropical climates. Nothing even close to the imported fruit.
But that´s not the point really, is it? Even an " also ran" is better than nothing!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 23rd, 2018, 12:47 am

I’m not sure which chemical you are looking for?
The aroma profile of guavas apparently involves at least 17 chemicals, most of them pretty complicated

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19254022/

I think the ethylene you are thinking off is the ethylene gas given off by many ripening fruit that triggers ripening in other fruit. Hence the trick of leaving a ripe banana near anything that you need to ripen
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 23rd, 2018, 9:00 am

Seatallan wrote:I think they're worth buying fresh for the scent alone. :luv:
. Qu

Like quinces - only I don't buy those.

I believe the best transportable mangoes are a variety called Tommy Atkins. They are really only fit for chutney because they haven't got a good texture. The ones I had last weekend were Alphonsoes - they always have a yellow and peach coloured skin however they are usually transported by air. Just for once they were worth the guilt :lol:
On Long Island we had a haydon mango tree. It was still there in the garden of our old house when we went back 40 years laterso we picked some.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kavey » August 23rd, 2018, 5:29 pm

Tommy Atkins. Don't get me started... https://www.kaveyeats.com/2013/04/madd- ... ngoes.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 24th, 2018, 1:57 am

Tommy Atkins. Don't get me started..

Want to start a Mango Thread, Kavey? :D

There are two specific items that India gifted to Venezuela. The mango and the tamarind. The mango is considered the National Fruit - and there are dozens of different varieties here.
It has to be my favourite fruit by a long chalk.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 24th, 2018, 6:20 am

I adore fresh ripe guavas but wouldn't recommend buying them in the UK. For well over two decades I've tried to do so from all manner of different shop types and places. Every single time, even if the aroma is there, strongly, the taste is absent. I can only assume the aroma develops earlier than the ripeness that brings sweetness and flavour.

Guavas are best eaten really fresh. I have never bought any tasty guavas here. The flavour is almost non-existent and they taste paste like. Having grown up eating bananas straight off the trees, often climbing big guava tree, sitting on a branch and eating guavas with my siblings, guavas here don't taste of anything to me and I have stopped buying them.
My father used to make guava jelly each year, which was crystal clear and absolutely delicious. We used to eat it wrapped in a buttered parathas. And guava halva...don't get me started!
Which varieties of mangoes do you have KK? India has so many aromatic ones. I remember being served many delicious guava deserts in various south American countries.
Last edited by Mamta on August 28th, 2018, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 24th, 2018, 9:14 am

Ratatouille wrote:Like quinces - only I don't buy those.

Yes, I agree. In fact, it's a similar scent in my opinion.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 24th, 2018, 10:24 am

I remember having a discussion with a West Indian food writer

Almost everything done with guavas in the Caribbean has an equivalent European quince recipe
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 24th, 2018, 10:36 am

Almost everything done with guavas in the Caribbean has an equivalent European quince recipe

That is very interesting. When I was growing up in India, guavas and mangoes were used in so many 'British' type of dishes, mostly preserves and jams
The desserts were mostly cooked without ovens, recipes adapted for it.
Mamta
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 25th, 2018, 11:24 am

Typical guava sweets here are:
1) Guava jelly. This is sold in the shops in blocks, and I imagine it´s guava, sugar and gelatine. It´s just like the quince "jelly" often served in Spain with ham and cheese.
2) Guava jam - I make a lot of it - and a local delight called "Delicada de Guayaba" ( Guava Delicacy) . The latter is prepared as follows:
Cook guavas in water until soft. Leave the guavas in the water to cool - at least 12 hours. Now drain off 5 cups of the water, add 2 1/2 cups of sugar and 1 1/2 tsps of lemon juice. All the ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil and boil for 45 minutes. Bottle.
3) Guava halves; cooked with some sugar and then filled with cream cheese.
4) Guava tart
5) Guava bread ( yummy) - this is a sort of sweet roll stuffed with guava.

As for mangoes, there are so many varieties here, I lose count. In my garden I´ve got a huge " hybrid" mango tree, which produces mangoes weighing in at between 500 - 1500 gms EACH. Then there´s another tree which produces much smaller, more perfumed mangoes, which I´ve just used to make your delicious Sweet Mango Chutney, Mamta!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 25th, 2018, 12:09 pm

My ex’s mother used to send us what she called guava cheese from St Vincent, same as your #1 I think, no gelatine, just made in the same way as Spanish [quince] membrillo or English damson cheese. She used to set it in those shallow oval tins in which herring fillets in sauce used to be packed, rather a nice shape

I can by West Indian guava jelly in local shops - that’s a jelly of the kind you use in place of jam- not a lot of flavour in the commercial stuff
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 25th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I love Guava Duff which I first met in the Bahamas. It is a suet crust steamed pud filled with guava shells, butter and rum and served with a rum hard sauce. I dream about it sometimes.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 28th, 2018, 6:37 am

All those sound delicious Clive. We used to call Guava jelly, what you are calling guava Jam Clive, the same recipe. What you al calling jelly, I have been served at breakfast at many south American countries. Kavita may remember, though she was quite young when we did that.
We used to have roast guavas too, simply roasted in dying charcoal fire. That reminds me, thus roasted guavas are supposed to be very good for helping with cough symptoms.
Mango Murabba (preserved in sugar syrup) used to be one of my favourites. I don't know if anyone eats it any more
Just looked up guava duff, looks a bit like a Swiss roll?
I love Guava Duff which I first met in the Bahamas. It is a suet crust steamed pud filled with guava shells, butter and rum and served with a rum hard sauce. I dream about it sometimes.

Day dreams Ratatouille?
Mamta
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 28th, 2018, 9:38 am

Sometimes we can get locally grown guavas here, I must look out for them. The local mangoes are small but a good flavour

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 28th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Mamta wrote:We used to call Guava jelly, what you are calling guava Jam Clive, the same recipe.

Which I made just a few weeks ago with guavas from local Asian supermarket, Mamta, and very good it was too. :chops:

I really made it for Mr & Mrs Next Door, who are originally from Pakistan. They both love guava but they too think the fruit doesn't travel well. Someone gave them some guava seeds, which they planted and nurtured all through the winter in a heated cold-frame and tended to with great fortitude all through the spring and summer. The plants grew right enough, but unfortunately the guava seeds had clearly never sprouted and what came up proved to be Buddleia :) . I felt so sorry for them. Anyway, I gave a couple of jars to them as a sort of consolation prize.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Mamta » August 28th, 2018, 12:40 pm

The plants grew right enough, but unfortunately the guava seeds had clearly never sprouted and what came up proved to be Buddleia

LOL! Did they not recognise that it was not guava, which has quite distinctive leaves :aww:
Anyway, it is unlikely to fruit here, needs a different climate than UK.
Mamta
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 28th, 2018, 12:50 pm

I know. I'd suspected it was buddleia for some time but I think they kept hoping it would start to resemble guava as it grew bigger. It was only when it flowered that they had to admit defeat :D

I'd already tactfully mentioned that I thought it was unlikely to fruit but they'd hoped that the hot summer might do the trick.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 31st, 2018, 2:37 pm

I have just realised that there are fresh guavas in the local greengrocers, I must investigate.

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Return to The Kitchen