New Cooker - shelf confusion...

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

New Cooker - shelf confusion...

Postby aero280 » September 8th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I've just had a new cooker installed. It has two ovens, top and bottom, with three shelf positions in each.

The cooker comes with a guide to which shelf should be used for various items. Shelves are listed as 1, 2, or 3. BUT there is no key. I assumed that 1 is at the top and three is at the bottom. But now I'm not sure that it isn't the other way around with 3 at the top! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The guide says that most things in the main oven should be on shelf 3. But bread on shelf 2.

The grill (top oven) says bacon rashers & beefburgers should be grilled on shelf 3, chicken joints on 2, fish on 2 and steak on 3.

So I now think that the shelves are numbered from the bottom up.

What do you lot think?
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Re: New Cooker - shelf confusion...

Postby Rainbow » September 8th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Just looked in the oven instructions for the house we're in at the moment.

Racks are numbered from the bottom #1 up to the top #5. That is for a Blanco oven in Australia so maybe no use to you!!
After all, we are the other way up Down Under ;) but just thought I'd let you know :)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 8th, 2018, 11:13 pm

I agree with you, though it does seem odd to number them that way (Perhaps the country of origin is one where books start at what we consider to be the back and similar!). Both bread and bacon would go in the hottest part of the oven or grill and that is surely at the top?

Enjoy the cooker - I'm a little envious!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 8th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Ah! :oops: :oops:

They are numbered from the bottom up. There's a diagram (quite small) with even smaller numbers for the shelves in a completely different part of the manual, nowhere near the cooking advice!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe they think the numbering is like the floors of a house? It's a John Lewis cooker, made for them by AEG. Probably made in China.

It's taken a while to install. It's an electric oven with a gas hob. The original cooker it replaced was gas only. I had to run a large electric cable a long way around the house, and then we found that the existing gas feed to the cooker was terminated behind the fixed kitchen units, so they had to come out :(
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2018, 12:11 am

You have just described exactly why I put off having a new cooker!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 10th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Well, having sorted the shelves and done the first bake, here's a picture or two. I still have to tidy up the floor after messing it up installing the cable.

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Return to The Kitchen