preferred baking trays

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

preferred baking trays

Postby Herbidacious » September 18th, 2018, 4:46 pm

My non-stick baking trays have taken quite a bit of (mis)use with all the kilos of tomatoes I have been roasting this summer. The non-stick is peeling off at least one of them and it was a well made heavy one - not a cheapy. I know the answer is not to use the dishwasher, but sometimes... This hasn't happened before. Has it the acidity of the tomatoes been the main culprit, perhaps? (Or the straw the broke the camel's back after multiple dishwashings.)

Anyway I need to replace two. (Will keep the old ones and use a teflon liner, or greaseproof perhaps for non liquid things.)

What are people's preferred types for different tasks?

I suspect enamel would be fine for roasting veg, and is eminently dishwashable, but for pastry, pizza etc, non-stick seems perferable. Has anyone got any hard anodised ones? Any preferred brands?
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: preferred baking trays

Postby Suelle » September 18th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Anodised aluminium eg - Mermaid. Stocked at Lakeland. They are solid, and don't twist or buckle in use. They are not reliably non-stick, but I use a Teflon liner if something is likely to stick, such as when roasting vegetables.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » September 18th, 2018, 7:06 pm

I have a couple of really heavy Stellar ones with their enamel coating that is semi nonstick

They are the lipped ones Americans call sheet pans

I am fairly sure from watching cookery progs that in the USA you can buy pre-cut parchment liners for them, as you can buy cake tin circles here, but I haven’t tracked any down
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 18th, 2018, 10:58 pm

I use sheet pans, just like Sue says. They buckle, they lose their lining - but they´re not really over-expensive and I line them with foil or with parchment paper ( if I can get hold of it).
Salt will kill off the teflon /protective coating of the baking trays. Been there, done that.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 19th, 2018, 6:55 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Salt will kill off the teflon /protective coating of the baking trays. Been there, done that.

I didn't realise that, but it does explain the loss of effectiveness of Teflon sheets as they age.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » September 19th, 2018, 7:04 am

Useful to know. Thanks!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 19th, 2018, 8:27 am

I generally use enamel trays for roasting toms - the grill pans that came with the oven, that sort of thing. Failing that, Pyrex.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 19th, 2018, 8:47 am

Badger's mate wrote:I generally use enamel trays for roasting toms - the grill pans that came with the oven, that sort of thing. Failing that, Pyrex.

Yes ... I've changed to Pyrex for toms.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen