Fish !

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Fish !

Postby Zosherooney » September 28th, 2018, 8:26 am

Whilst out yesterday I picked up a tail fillet of Halibut and some cod tongues ?

Ideas please for the Halibut and also has anyone out there had cod tongues before ? Apparently it is the bit of the fish under the jaw bone....
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Fish !

Postby Ratatouille » September 28th, 2018, 8:36 am

Halibut is such a delicate fish it really should be cooked simply. I think poached in a court bouillon and served with a beuree balnc

My Gran used to get cod tongues, but I think they were called something different. She battered and fried them and they were very good - like 1940's/50's fish fingers to a child at the time.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 28th, 2018, 8:43 am

Chap in the shop said floured and cooked in oil so that concurs.... Thanks for halibut suggestion Rats.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » September 28th, 2018, 8:43 pm

I agree with Rats with the halibut, perhaps served with some samphire
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 29th, 2018, 8:33 am

Zosherooney wrote:Whilst out yesterday I picked up a tail fillet of Halibut and some cod tongues ?

Ideas please for the Halibut and also has anyone out there had cod tongues before ? Apparently it is the bit of the fish under the jaw bone....

I guess cod tongues must rank alongside cod cheeks and skate knobs :?: ;) I've had the last 2, but never seen cod tongues for sale ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » September 29th, 2018, 10:09 am

Have never cooked cods tongues, but I’d love to try!
Last week I baked my halibut steaks in grease proof parcels, with a spoonful of salsa (chopped cherry tomatoes, spring onion, a touch of chopped chile and garlic and chopped coriander, olive oil and lime juice) cooked for about 15 mins...they were delicious.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 30th, 2018, 6:59 pm

I had cod tongues in a fish buffet on board a Faroese ferry. They were delicious, cooked in a buttery sauce. Both they and halibut would be lovely baked with butter in a paper or foil parcel :hungry:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 1st, 2018, 2:46 pm

The halibut was lovely baked between two pyrex plates with lemon slices and S&P then I made a hollandaise and added tarragon - sublime !

Cod tongues will be eaten tonight for supper. :hungry:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 2nd, 2018, 11:04 am

My granny used to get cod cheeks as they were very cheap and she had 8 kids to feed! I think she used to just fry them in a bit of butter - my great-grandmother had a farm so kept them going in dairy products.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 3rd, 2018, 3:33 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I guess cod tongues must rank alongside cod cheeks and skate knobs I've had the last 2, but never seen cod tongues for sale

Ooooh skate knobs are delicious. I got some really cheap from the fish shop on the beach at Seaton in Devon and cooked them on my little cadac outside my tent. They were done very simply and were fab. I also got dabs which were lovely too. I shared this with my dog who was equally impressed.
Catherine
Registered

Return to The Kitchen