smoked garlic

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

smoked garlic

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2018, 8:52 am

I bought a string (? plait?) of this in France at the weekend and am wondering what the optimal use for it is. In the past, I have found the smoked flavour is dissipated in cooking (as smoked flavours tend to). It is worth buying it imo just to have the smell in the kitchen for a while, but has anyone found any ways of using it which retain the smokiness?

I was going to make garlic butter, but the crushed garlic just smelled like garlic. (Maybe I should go ahead an a subtle flavour will come out.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: smoked garlic

Postby suffolk » October 4th, 2018, 9:22 am

You can keep a bulb of smoked garlic in a container with rice to impart a garlicky smokey flavour to the rice.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 4th, 2018, 11:22 am

use it in hummus or where raw garlic is used? what about as an addition to whole roast veg or in garlic soup?
i have bought plaits of it in the past but, as you say, the flavour disappears in cooking. i have found that it also goes bad quicker than ordinary garlic so, although it smells good in the kitchen, i probably wouldn't bother again.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2018, 12:04 pm

I have bought it before. It's seasonal so I am not always there when it's around (although you can get it for a relatively high price in the UK too) so it would have seemed like a missed opportunity not to buy it. Plus as I said, it smells gorgeous.

I can't help thinking that if they sell it, then people must buy it, so there must be a point to it.

The last string of garlic I got and hung up, ended up causing an infestation of compost flies, so I must use it a bit more quickly this time.

I bought this lot partly to make smoked garlic butter, after I had to throw away that which I bought from the Garlic Farm. I should probably just get the smoking gun out.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 4th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I bought a string (? plait?) of this in France at the weekend and am wondering what the optimal use for it is. In the past, I have found the smoked flavour is dissipated in cooking (as smoked flavours tend to). It is worth buying it imo just to have the smell in the kitchen for a while, but has anyone found any ways of using it which retain the smokiness?

I thought it was just me...… when I bought a bulb of smoked garlic I was very disappointed that once it was cooked in a dish, the only difference I could detect between that and ordinary garlic was the price ! :o :x :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 4th, 2018, 4:12 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:I bought a string (? plait?) of this in France at the weekend and am wondering what the optimal use for it is. In the past, I have found the smoked flavour is dissipated in cooking (as smoked flavours tend to). It is worth buying it imo just to have the smell in the kitchen for a while, but has anyone found any ways of using it which retain the smokiness?

I thought it was just me...… when I bought a bulb of smoked garlic I was very disappointed that once it was cooked in a dish, the only difference I could detect between that and ordinary garlic was the price ! :o :x :td:

Good to hear that, I don't feel I've been missing out all these years as I've always found it rather pricey :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 4th, 2018, 7:07 pm

You might retain/notice more smokiness in egg dishes. In a mushroom omelette? Or in a cheese and spinach soufflé?

Apologies, I can’t remember if you’re vegetarian or vegan so I’m not actually sure if you eat eggs!

I like the hummus idea too.

Mayonnaise?

We’ve made smoked garlic mashed potato which was lovely - the smoked flavour does come through. I think we poached it in a little milk (with skin still on) and then removed the skin, smushed the garlic and added the garlic and some of the milk to the mashed potato.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2018, 8:16 pm

I do eat eggs.
I guess the butter might work then.
The thing is, I don't think the smoke penetrates far below the papery outer skin... so poaching in the skin sounds like a very good idea. I shall definitely have a go at your mashed potato. Perhaps it would work in a delicate, thin bechamel to pour on something too.

Thank you!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 4th, 2018, 8:28 pm

One of my favourite ways of eating garlic is to cut the bulb in half and roast it with chicken or a traybake roast then to squeeze out the cooked garlic at the end. I find that because the outer layer is not removed during cooking that smoked garlic works quite well, leaving a subtle flavour in the juices.

Love the suggestion from Suffs re the rice. It would work with any grain, especially those like risotto rice or Bulgar wheat where the water is not discarded.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 5th, 2018, 7:47 am

I may have a go. Not a big rice fan, but I don't hate it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2018, 7:57 am

I must admit I find it hard to resist smoked garlic when I see it (usually the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm stuff as some of the local garden centres stock it). It's well pricey I know, but it smells so wonderful! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby hickybank » October 5th, 2018, 8:52 am

Not tried it yet but it sounds good
Smoked Garlic Soup
4 heads of Smoked Garlic
1/4 cup Olive oil
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
4 Leeks (white part only) chopped
1 Onion, diced
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock or canned broth, heated
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 cup whipping cream
Fresh lemon juice
Salt and fresh ground white pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Separate and peel smoked garlic cloves, chop and set aside. Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and onions and sauté until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add Smoked Garlic sauté until heated, about one minute. Reduce heat to low.

Add flour and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in hot stock and white wine. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Return soup to saucepan. Add cream and simmer until thickened
about 10 minutes. Add lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and white pepper. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with chives.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Return to The Kitchen