Basmati Rice

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Basmati Rice

Postby Zosherooney » October 4th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I have just opened one of the 2 bags that I have. I think I bought it in Southall, made by Badshah and described as Superior Aged Basmati Rice. It is now soaking in its first lot of water, I will change it twice more before cooking it (absorpsion) this evening.

Never tried superior aged before and am wondering if I will notice any difference ? Just noticed that the BBE is June 18, so it's almost going to be antique before long !!!

Anyone tried this type before ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Basmati Rice

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I find the biggest difference with aged basmati is the smell when you open the package - oddly temiscent of Mitzi the mouse :lol:

It does have a slightly more definite flavour I think, and perhaps a slightly better texture in pilaff or biriyani
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kavey » October 4th, 2018, 2:48 pm

It's the flavour.
My mum remembers when her parents would keep a bag aside, and this was allowed to age, and the prized aged rice was served to guests or for special occasions, I think she said.
Also, long grains of basmati are prized.
Kavey
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 4th, 2018, 2:51 pm

I started using aged basmati rice a few years ago, and thought I could detect a difference between it and the ordinary stuff at the time. Now that I've been using it for ages I take it for granted - it's just rice! Would I detect a difference if someone served me basic basmati? I'm not sure.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby hickybank » October 5th, 2018, 10:04 am

I have been eating wild rice lately, I think I can tell a big difference but probably all in the mind, what tiny bit of mind I have :lol:
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 5th, 2018, 10:34 am

I like to mix wild, red and bog std. rice together :chops:

Now the basmati 'aged' did have a slight difference to ord. B R but if my curry had been hotter, not sure I would have tasted the difference....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 7th, 2018, 10:51 am

hickybank wrote:I have been eating wild rice lately, I think I can tell a big difference but probably all in the mind, what tiny bit of mind I have :lol:

I thought 'wild rice' wasn't actually rice at all … did you mean this Hickey ?

https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-wild-rice.htm
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby hickybank » October 7th, 2018, 11:06 am

It is just another species of grass which basically is what rice is as far as I know
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-ben ... -rice.html
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 7th, 2018, 2:01 pm

I think wild rice is a completely different beast . I too love a mixture of three rice grains, The red rice form the Camargue is something else - but not, in my opinion to be eaten on it's own.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2018, 4:52 pm

In India we had a local red rice, larger and rounder grains than Camargue rice. It was parboiled ( not the same as easy cook) - the whole grains are boiled then the outer husk removed leaving the inner husk with all the colour. It’s illegal to export it so don’t bother looking for it

I have seen red jasmine rice though, and will get around to trying it some time
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 9th, 2018, 5:39 am

Sad I know, but I have a rice 'collection'.....! Fragrant jasmine, glutinous, wild, red, plus the normal sorts.... I must get out more !!

Like the sound of 'illegal' rice.... :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 10th, 2018, 7:38 pm

People who have space in India, still buy new rice when it is cheaper, and 'lay it down' to mature. My brother lives in rice growing region near Dehradun, he still buys it for the following year.
There are so many varieties of rice in India, just like an y other rice growing country. People tend to like the rice grown in their regions.
Older Basmati cooks better, is less sticky and has better aroma. But if you like sticky rice, it is not for you :) !
Mamta
Registered

Return to The Kitchen