What should I make...

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

What should I make...

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 5th, 2018, 9:20 am

...with any of these ingredients please? I could do with 2 or 3 dishes for lunches/dinners over the weekend.

The veg box has arrived and it's one of those days when i'm lacking culinary inspiration. I'm at work and so can't flick through cook books unfortunately which is what i'd do at home.

We have a fully stocked pantry/freezer and we can go to the butchers/fishmongers for anything we've not got. This is the contents of the box...

romanesco cauliflower
golden beetroot
tomatoes
fresh mushrooms and porcini
mixed chillies
carrots
spinach
swede
pink fir potatoes
peppers
butternut squash
onions
celery

I know we've got halloumi, ready made butternut squash gnocchi, half a tub of double cream, eggs, parmesan and puff pastry in the fridge if that helps, plus regular, smoked, black and elephant garlic. I was thinking maybe a pithiver with some of it? The gnocchi with something. We've made quite a few soups recently so I was hoping to avoid another this weekend but could change my mind!

Thank you x
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Re: What should I make...

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 10:23 am

For a start I'd make a huge pot of minestrone (hardly counts as a soup ... it's lunch for several days and freezes well) with some of the celery, an onion, a carrot, a pepper, a few tomatoes a bit of chopped chilli and a few leaves of spinach (the addition of some small pasta and/or cannellini beans if you have them or can get them).

The golden beet will be gorgeous scrubbed and baked whole in foil and served with a weekend roast pork or chicken, or pork chops etc along with the Romanesco and some baby potatoes baked in their skins.

I'd make a risotto with the mushrooms and porcini (a favourite indulgent Saturday night supper here)

I'd possibly make a delicious bread with some of the butternut squash ... and use the rest in a vegetable bake with the halloumi crumbled into it.

That's made a start anyway ............
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 5th, 2018, 12:14 pm

That all sounds perfect!

I've sent the suggestions to OH who is picking up some bits and pieces this afternoon from the shops.

OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 12:43 pm

The Romanesco is probably quite small but I shall hope it is big and make cauliflower cheese with bacon and sauteed potatoes.

A tart with the (cooked or grated) beetroot, tomatoes, peppers using pastry, cream, eggs and parmesan.

Roasted squash, carrot, Swede and garlic which can be eaten as is, with melted cheese or done as a tray bake with chicken.

Celery - always a problem :sprout:

Gnocchi - no idea.

I have a nice recipe for onion relish which contains chillies.

Risotto does sound nice with the mushrooms.

The onion reminded me of a childhood treat when my mother would make a stew and place whole onions in it so we had one each when it was served. Very soft and sweet and covered in the delicious juices. I love swede mashed with butter and pepper too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 5th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I'd definitely do risotto with your mushrooms.

I always like to plug Jamie Oliver's Hamilton squash when I hear somebody needs inspiration for a butternut.

A pasta bake with the onions, tomatoes, peppers, maybe the spinach too with the halloumi. Or the halloumi baked separately in foil.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 5th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Braised celery is alright (I am not a big fan either.)

I wouldn't do white sauce with it, personally, but: https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/col ... nion-sauce

Mushroom strogonoff

potato and mushroom boulangere (or dauphinoise)

butternut gratin with chill and herb (and garlic) breadcrumbs. Maybe toss some pine nuts in there if you have them. Some caramelized onions...

Asadillo with the peppers and tomatoes.

Carrots and celery are the base for lots of Italian things, including the ribollita I made the other night - it has chilli in it as well. Jamie Oliver's version. If you cook the beans from scratch, he used potato and tomato. I think JO now calls it Tuscan soup. Also needs a can of tomatoes.

You could make a veggie lasagne with a lot of those things. Or a veggie chilli.

BNS and potato dauphinoise with chilli (the chill would help there to cut through the richness and sweetness.)

I'd be tempted to have the porcini just sauted in butter with maybe a little garlic, as they are such a treat. Or have them with tagliatelli and cream/creme fraiche. A little grated parmesan (or a lot!)

Caramelized golden beetroot on the side of something or as a tarte tartin if that' s your sort of thing. (Ii am not keen on this.)

Onions: Something like this: http://www.kitchenparade.com/2010/02/ju ... s-rice.php

If you have a lot of chillis, you might want to dry them. Not sure how anyone can use a lot of chillis in one go... but I guess people must do, as they sell them in bags (or use them every day.)

gnocchi- fried with a tomato chill sauce on the side?

Spinach souffle with parmesan cream sauce to pour over.

swede: compost heap :D

Don't know what to say about the romanesco cauli. I only really use (ordinary) cauliflower to make cauli cheese or chickpea and cauli curry. Seems a bit a of a waste to do either when its so pretty.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 5th, 2018, 2:53 pm

I'll have the swede! :hungry:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 3:15 pm

We get through at least one head of celery a week ... it goes in ragu, casseroles, chilli, soups ... loadsa stuff ... chopped small and softened in some oil and or butter with onion, carrot and green pepper ... and of course any touch outslde sticks go into veg stock ... Just don't understand how folk can manage without it ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2018, 3:31 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I'll have the swede! :hungry:

Not if I get there first! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 5th, 2018, 4:33 pm

:lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 5th, 2018, 5:20 pm

suffolk wrote:We get through at least one head of celery a week ... it goes in ragu, casseroles, chilli, soups ... loadsa stuff ... chopped small and softened in some oil and or butter with onion, carrot and green pepper ... and of course any touch outslde sticks go into veg stock ... Just don't understand how folk can manage without it ;)

I love celery too and add to the base of a lot of dishes. Funny how it’s so unpopular.

I’d make a curry with the squash, onion and cauliflower . I’d roast the potatoes with the peppers , the chillies, some garlic and roast with the halloumi , as a veggie or side dish . The mushrooms are ideal with cream and garlic with pasta, or as a tart/pie with some kind of cheese.

I’d roast the beetroot as it and have it as part of a Sunday roast and I think swede is best mashed with carrots, a knob of butter and plenty of black pepper . The spinach might go in a gnocchi bake with the cream and Parmesan . I love threads like these, so interesting to hear people’s different ideas.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 5th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Butternut, cauliflower, swede, carrot and celery to make a creamy vegetable crumble
Spinach soup
Roast beetroot and chilli salad serve with mackerel
Potato dauphinoise
Butternut risotto
Catherine
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 5th, 2018, 9:23 pm

I'd make a risotto with the Romanesco.

Toms onions & chillies in Shakshuka - put a slice of halloumi over each egg and grill it. OK it's not a classic version :rolleyes: , so you could also put a bit of carrot and pepper in the sauce :D

Bake the butternut with Stilton & walnuts. Buy a big bit of Stilton and use the rest in hot Stilton & mushroom baguettes. Save the morels to feature in a simple pasta dish

You might use a bit of celery in your sofrito but otherwise bite the bullet and make soup of it with the onion and a bit of potato
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 6th, 2018, 5:58 am

I like celery and add it to loads of dishes too. Nothing better than grated cheese, small dice celery and mayo on brown bread for lunch - delish :chops:

Celery is also good in a stir fry of veg.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 10th, 2018, 8:42 am

Thanks everyone! Sorry I meant to come on and say that sooner but I often only log on when i'm at work Wednesday-Friday.

We made quite a few of the suggestions (minestrone, risotto, vegetable lasagne, curry) and I managed to use up most of it :) There's just one of the squash and one swede left over now to use up this week.

We also made swede chips one evening baked with rosemary, garlic and sea salt and they were surprisingly good! We'll make them again I think.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 11th, 2018, 8:03 pm

OMCO....I often put swede in a mixed root veg roast, but tonight I made your swede chips....they were so good and so different....thanks for the suggestion.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 12th, 2018, 8:56 am

Glad to hear that you liked them :)

I'm always looking for root veg ideas at this time of year. The veg box is full of them!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby scullion » October 12th, 2018, 10:11 am

pastys use up root veg - a staple down here!

the ones i make are equal quantities of swede (turnip), potato, carrot, onion; a load of cheese, lots of fresh parsley, salt and black pepper. i make a large batch at a time and freeze the extra - you always need an emergency pasty!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm

At Slimming World we were encouraged to microwave a whole unpeeled swede (pricked as one would a jacket potato). When it is ready it starts 'singing' because of the liquid content. I have to admit it was very nice and moist and fluffy and holds in the nutrients better.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 12th, 2018, 1:43 pm

scullion wrote:pastys use up root veg - a staple down here!

the ones i make are equal quantities of swede (turnip), potato, carrot, onion; a load of cheese, lots of fresh parsley, salt and black pepper. i make a large batch at a time and freeze the extra - you always need an emergency pasty!

Good reminder....I used to make the swede and potato pasties from HFW’s veggie book, and very nice they were too, with a nice flakey pastry....
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 12th, 2018, 1:44 pm

And I will try the whole baked swede recipe too EM!
patpoyntz
Registered

Return to The Kitchen