Ghee

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Ghee

Postby bobloes » October 6th, 2018, 8:19 am

Hi All

I occasionally make a korma where the advice is to use ghee as it enhances the flavour considerably. I have tried making it but have not been satisfied with the results so I finally purchased a tub. £5 for 500 gms. Not convinced the taste benfits were worth it but...... On the can it says to use within a month of opening. I normally work on what the ingredient looks and smells like before throwing it away so a couple of things. Can it be frozen? And can I use it as I would any other fat/oil, eg for roast potatoes?

Cheers

Bob
bobloes
Registered

Re: Ghee

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2018, 9:06 am

I always have ghee in the house, I use it in western cookery as well where clarified butter is required

As far as I can tell it keeps for ever in the fridge tightly covered

I have a new tin and will transfer to two sterilised glass jars as the problem with the last one was that the rather flimsy plastic cap tore and I didn’t notice for a while
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2018, 9:24 am

I've kept it for months in the fridge, covered as Sue says ... if it goes rancid you'll smell/taste it so maybe just a little on the tip of your tongue before cooking if you think it's getting tooooooooooooooo old.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 6th, 2018, 11:52 am

I have a small nub left of my present 500g tin I bought over 2 years ago, used it just now in some dal dish we have created and it still tastes fine. Please don't bin it ! Seal and carry on using it.... :|
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 6th, 2018, 9:17 pm

I make mine at home and keep it in the cupboard. I cannot remember it ever having gone off.
I think there are several key things to watch, although I find it easy to make.
1) Use unsalted butter.
2) Heat the butter gently - very gently.
3) Remove the scum on the top frequently
4)Once the residue at the bottom begins to turn brown - it´s done. Decant into clean jars and save.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2018, 9:29 pm

I think it’s actually as cheap or cheaper to buy the cans here as to make it, and it’s fine.

I found some in a small jar and I was going to buy it, very convenient. Then I worked out it was 150% of the price of the tin and only 40% of the weight. I don’t mind paying for convenience but there are limits :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby bobloes » October 7th, 2018, 10:59 am

Hi All

When uncertain it is always nice to have an angel on your shoulder telling you that you are doing alright. You are my angel equivalents so thanks for the info. Happy cooking.

Bob
bobloes
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 10th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Ghee is not difficult to nake, but has to be watched. If it 'catches', it is horrible. For occasional user, it is easier to buy a small tin. It lasts for ever, has a long shelf life
Mamta
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 11th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Mamta wrote:Ghee is not difficult to nake, but has to be watched. If it 'catches', it is horrible. For occasional user, it is easier to buy a small tin. It lasts for ever, has a long shelf life

That's good to know, Mamta, I've also wondered about using it but haven't bought it as I knew I'd probably not get through it very quickly! :tu:
KC2
Registered

Return to The Kitchen