Semi-Skimmed Milk problem

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Semi-Skimmed Milk problem

Postby Zosherooney » October 7th, 2018, 9:12 am

Ever since I have owned a DF I have frozen milk (SSM) I normally buy a huge one and freeze half. I have used various bottles but found a robust ex-brandy bottle (square sides mean less wasted space in the DF. Used successfully 4/5 times, and thoroughly cleaned between freezings. The last 3 times I have frozen milk, on defrosting, it has separated into water and sludge ? It tastes fine except for the texture..... It does not mix in tea and I have resorted to making rice pudding with it as so not to waste it - this turns out fine.

Yes, I have bought and used UHT successfully but it is more expensive than buying ordinary milk in bulk.

So what is going on, have the milk producers added something to stop me freezing SSM successfully? I would not put it past them !

Any ideas or suggestions????
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Semi-Skimmed Milk problem

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2018, 9:25 am

I can’t think of any obvious reason for it separating

Two possibilities spring to mind but only rather vague guesses
1. Presumably the milk is homogenised, so either it might be a different brand using a different process or they’ve changed their process?
2. Are you freezing it in the same place in the same freezer? The faster it freezes, the less likely it will be to split

I doubt freezing figures much in the thoughts of dairy producers
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 7th, 2018, 10:42 am

this link might have some answers :

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... ccounter=1
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 9th, 2018, 5:42 am

Had problems viewing it Patsy but finally did, not sure what might be the answer, I had a hot drink with it last night and it was fine but had to give it a good hard shake ! Some say, I could do with it too.... :oops: I think I can feel a milk pudding coming on soon..
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 9th, 2018, 6:06 am

I finally managed to read it Patsy - Thanks. I had a milky drink with it last night and it was fine, just don't know why it has suddenly started to separate ? It needs a lot of shaking, bit like me !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 9th, 2018, 6:32 am

Can't view the link either but have found that frozen milk sometimes separates too and needs copious shaking. It never seemed to when I first froze milk years ago. I give it a good shake and pour it through a tea strainer 'just in case' if I've defrosted it to use in hot drinks for visitors.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 9th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Yes, happens to me sometimes too. As has been said, a good shake usually does the trick. Seems no rhyme or reason to why it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.

I find the consistency of cream always goes a bit weird when its been frozen (though flavour is always fine).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Rainbow » October 9th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Seatallan wrote:Yes, happens to me sometimes too. As has been said, a good shake usually does the trick. Seems no rhyme or reason to why it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.

I find the consistency of cream always goes a bit weird when its been frozen (though flavour is always fine).

I've had it happen sometimes, too. I find my hand blender is good for getting the texture back as it should be :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 12th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the tips Wildies, I just hope it won't happen again. I'll try the blender tip Rainbow, if it happens again.
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen