Pulled Pork

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Pulled Pork

Postby Zosherooney » October 12th, 2018, 5:58 pm

I bought a RTC shoulder of pork and fancy having a go at PP. Does anyone have any good tried and tested recipes they are happy to share? I think it needs some sort of marination for a few days, which I have.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Pulled Pork

Postby EmWilk » October 12th, 2018, 7:36 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... _88807/amp

I used to make PP a lot for parties, etc and always used this recipe. I think I probably added bits to it or subbed ingredients but it was always really, really good.

Not sure why the link mentions sausage as the recipe doesn't... :?
EmWilk
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 13th, 2018, 9:16 am

I made some earlier in the season in the slow cooker using a bottle of peri peri sauce. I removed the rind and most of the fatty layer.(I made separate crackling with it :drool: ) Cut the meat into large pieces and browned before popping in the slow cooker. Added the sauce and cooked for a couple of hours on high and then about 6 on low. It was really tasty and easy to do.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

Thanks for your input girls, as it is pork and we are in the season of mellow fruitfulness, I do happen to have some bramleys so may well grate one in for good measure, yes, I want a bit of heat in it, and I do have chillies from my chilli plant. Think I may also add some mixed spice as well. Maybe an onion too !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 13th, 2018, 10:01 am

Zosherooney wrote:Thanks for your input girls, as it is pork and we are in the season of mellow fruitfulness, I do happen to have some bramleys so may well grate one in for good measure, yes, I want a bit of heat in it, and I do have chillies from my chilli plant. Think I may also add some mixed spice as well. Maybe an onion too !

Sounds lovely :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » October 13th, 2018, 5:14 pm

In Mexico they make an exquisite pulled pork called " Cochinito Pibíl". They rub the pork with a mixture of annato seed paste ( I´m sure you could find some in London) garlic, salt, brown sugar and orange juice; they then place it in a big baking tin lined with plantain leaves, put some sliced onion, pepper and a few tomatoes on top ( with piles of fresh chiles), cover up tightly with more plantain leaves, and bake it for hours, until it fall apart. Once the pork is ready, they pull it apart and return it to the baking tin with all the juice. Take a corn tortilla, dollop some pork on the top ( with juice) and eat it - with a habanero onion salsa.
Plantain leaves? I suppose you could find them in a West Indian market or even ( since there are so many Venezuelan ex-pats these days!) in a Latin-American market.
In Venezuela, they roast the pork with garlic, white wine, sweet chile ( peppers would work), onion and fruit sometimes - I use peaches, although apples would be the obvious option. Same principle - long and slow - but the Venezuelan version comes off in thick chunks, which are then dumped into a thick baguette.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen