Bread Dough

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Bread Dough

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 13th, 2018, 10:52 am

scullion wrote:The ‘starter’ lump is definitely a sourdough now. The easiest way of making a starter I’ve found. I don’t think I’ll ever go through the ‘normal’ way of making one ever again - such a waste for the same result!

So how much of the 'starter' to flour and water please Scully ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 13th, 2018, 11:26 am

I made a seed bread today. I was meant to make dough only in my bread maker, then take out the lump and then bake my bread in the oven. Pressed the bread programme by mistake instead! Next time then :(
Mamta
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 13th, 2018, 4:57 pm

scullion, the first lump came from a yeasted dough, the second from a sourdough. Didn’t add any yeast.

My ‘normal’ (Andrew Whitley’s) starter doesn’t involve wasting anything.

:D Can’t see how adding yeast makes a sourdough, which uses wild yeasts. Or can it? Though if it tastes right that's all that matters.

I'm fascinated by your partner's dough in the sun. How does that happen?

Patsy, 100g of starter, 5oog white flour, 280g water plus salt works. More water if wholemeal, but that’s using AW’s starter.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2018, 7:14 pm

I use all of what I save from the previous mix and add flour and water (and salt) to get the right consistency and quantity. I don’t measure it, I just go for the right ‘feel’ - more flour and water just mean that it’s a longer prove.
I let it prove a bit and take the next starter lump from the dough before I let it prove again or bung it in the oven.
The ‘starter lump’ has had no further packet yeast added but it will have been picking up wild yeasts in the same way that a conventional sourdough starter will. It now smells just like the sourdough starters i’ve made in the past.

My partner cooks the dough in a solar cooker, basically a rand tube, when there’s an adequate amount of sun. It’s usually quite crusty as the tube doesn’t get right up to conventional oven temp so has to stay in a little longer- and the loaves have a smaller crumb to crust ratio as they have to be smaller to fit in the tube - but it’s still edible!
If you google solar cooking you’ll find some lively conversations on a couple of forums/facebook groups, if you’re interested.
scullion
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 14th, 2018, 8:33 am

Thanks scullion, I've never tried baking bread by 'feel', I'll keep going with my lump and have a go sometime.

My reference to waste in terms of a starter was about the method that involves throwing portions of starter away as it progresses. Now I follow AW which doesn't involve that.

Solar Cooking. Oh Wow. Yes, that was fun following a few links. However, our back garden faces north so I'll just read about it. Most of the front gardens here have no fences and there's a tradition that anything left on the lawn may be recycled by the neighbours. :D
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen