Bread Dough

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Bread Dough

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 13th, 2018, 10:52 am

scullion wrote:The ‘starter’ lump is definitely a sourdough now. The easiest way of making a starter I’ve found. I don’t think I’ll ever go through the ‘normal’ way of making one ever again - such a waste for the same result!

So how much of the 'starter' to flour and water please Scully ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Mamta » November 13th, 2018, 11:26 am

I made a seed bread today. I was meant to make dough only in my bread maker, then take out the lump and then bake my bread in the oven. Pressed the bread programme by mistake instead! Next time then :(
Mamta
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 13th, 2018, 4:57 pm

scullion, the first lump came from a yeasted dough, the second from a sourdough. Didn’t add any yeast.

My ‘normal’ (Andrew Whitley’s) starter doesn’t involve wasting anything.

:D Can’t see how adding yeast makes a sourdough, which uses wild yeasts. Or can it? Though if it tastes right that's all that matters.

I'm fascinated by your partner's dough in the sun. How does that happen?

Patsy, 100g of starter, 5oog white flour, 280g water plus salt works. More water if wholemeal, but that’s using AW’s starter.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2018, 7:14 pm

I use all of what I save from the previous mix and add flour and water (and salt) to get the right consistency and quantity. I don’t measure it, I just go for the right ‘feel’ - more flour and water just mean that it’s a longer prove.
I let it prove a bit and take the next starter lump from the dough before I let it prove again or bung it in the oven.
The ‘starter lump’ has had no further packet yeast added but it will have been picking up wild yeasts in the same way that a conventional sourdough starter will. It now smells just like the sourdough starters i’ve made in the past.

My partner cooks the dough in a solar cooker, basically a rand tube, when there’s an adequate amount of sun. It’s usually quite crusty as the tube doesn’t get right up to conventional oven temp so has to stay in a little longer- and the loaves have a smaller crumb to crust ratio as they have to be smaller to fit in the tube - but it’s still edible!
If you google solar cooking you’ll find some lively conversations on a couple of forums/facebook groups, if you’re interested.
scullion
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 14th, 2018, 8:33 am

Thanks scullion, I've never tried baking bread by 'feel', I'll keep going with my lump and have a go sometime.

My reference to waste in terms of a starter was about the method that involves throwing portions of starter away as it progresses. Now I follow AW which doesn't involve that.

Solar Cooking. Oh Wow. Yes, that was fun following a few links. However, our back garden faces north so I'll just read about it. Most of the front gardens here have no fences and there's a tradition that anything left on the lawn may be recycled by the neighbours. :D
dennispc
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 13th, 2019, 3:30 pm

I gave this a try last week, saving a lump of dough in a plastic container. A couple of days later I used it to make a loaf. No extra yeast and it was fine. The bread was similar to my normal bake. I did it late at night and proved it in the morning, so I didn't look too closely at the starter.

Today I went back to make another loaf. When I went back this morning to use the starter,it had been resting for twice as long, four days, in the cool dark pantry, as I started to tip it out, I noticed that the top surface looked a very "slimy grey". It smelled OK, but I haven't used it. Would you think it was OK?

Here's a picture I took an hour ago. I've left it out on the counter and the grey seems to be disappearing into the rest of the starter. I have no experience of this sort of baking, so I'm looking for some advice.

IMG_1859.JPG
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » January 13th, 2019, 4:06 pm

aero280. I’m guessing. Normal sourdough starters frequently get a greyish/brown liquid called hooch. I wonder if that is something similar, some of the wild yeasts have exhausted themselves and died.

I posted my first old dough loaf on the, ‘what have you baked today’ thread. Because I don’t bake bread very often I put my lump in the freezer. It’s worked fine. I’m sure scullion will know.
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » January 14th, 2019, 5:07 pm

hmm, i've not had 'slimy grey' in that sort of time frame. i think i'd be disinclined to use it - saying that, if it smelled ok i might still chance it.
was the plastic box airtight? when i've left some of the dough for the next loaf it has been in a clip top jar but without the rubber gasket to allow it to breath a little, and just on the kitchen counter.

i've just thought, it may just be the yeast - i make kombucha and shortly after i started, last year, i had a batch where there was a greyish looking bit on the scoby. i did a load of googling and found that it was ok, just some of the yeasts in the scoby getting a bit upity - it's fine now.
maybe it was the same sort of thing going on with the lump of dough.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 14th, 2019, 6:56 pm

The box is "almost airtight". It was a plastic container from Costco that I bought some dates in. It was washed and dried. The lid is a tight fit, but I put a pinhole in the top to stop it exploding. I still have the dough in the box and it isn't anything like as grey. I'll have a look and a smell in a couple of days when I need to make the next loaf.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » January 15th, 2019, 1:03 am

are you using a bit from the same 'starter' every time or a chunk from the proving dough that you've used all the starter in?
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 15th, 2019, 9:21 am

It's a chunk from the proving dough that I put all of the starter in.

I've just gone out to have a look at it and, apart from the initial bit of disturbance when I photographed it, it's been undisturbed on the shelf in the pantry. Cool and fairly dark. The grey top has disappeared and it looks uniformly fawn as a wholemeal dough would. The beery smell has reduced and it's more of a smell like brandy! :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » January 18th, 2019, 10:42 pm

I made the bread last night and left it to prove overnight. It was in a cold pantry on a cold night and didn't rise a lot. I knocked it back a 8.00am this morning and put it in the baking tin. It took all day to rise. I baked it this evening and it's now cool enough to cut. The texture is fine, but it tastes very odd. There's a bitter taste in the background. So we won't have any more. Disappointing.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » January 19th, 2019, 12:00 am

just start again - at least there's less waste than with doing the conventional starter.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 19th, 2019, 6:23 am

I have a yeast question....?

I have 2 dried yeasts, Doves quick and Allisons dried active. Do dried yeasts 'go off? i.e stop working? We tried to make a spelt loaf recently with the Doves and it did not rise at all - just a lump of uprisen dough. We used the bread maker. Looked at the packet of yeast afterwards and the date was April 17.... :oops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 19th, 2019, 7:52 am

Yes .... I find dried yeast really runs out of oomph quite quickly ...it the one thing in the cupboard that I ditch and replace on a regular basis.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 19th, 2019, 9:31 am

Yes, I had a tub of Allinson's dried yeast which I forgot about. It didn't do anything.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » January 19th, 2019, 11:46 am

it also depends on where you keep it. it lasts a lot longer kept in the fridge.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 19th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Thanks bakers, It will go on the shopping list..... :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 19th, 2019, 8:50 pm

New loaf done this afternoon from scratch. It's fine.

A lump of dough has been saved in a jar and put in the fridge.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rainbow » January 19th, 2019, 10:46 pm

scullion wrote:it also depends on where you keep it. it lasts a lot longer kept in the fridge.

I keep my dried yeast in the freezer and it lasts for ages. It doesn't kill it - just puts it in a state of suspended animation!
Just make sure it's in a dry, air-tight container.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 21st, 2019, 1:09 am

I'll take that on board Rainbow, saves chucking it away :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2019, 7:12 am

Ditto
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 21st, 2019, 10:49 am

Same here. I buy dried yeast in sachets as larger quantities go off before they're used. A sachet contains more than a teaspoon, the amount I use per loaf. I've noticed that a part sachet might well be less active if it has been opened a couple of weeks, for example if we come back from holiday. Larger packs become much less active and virtually useless after a few weeks. I will try keeping a larger pack in the freezer. Thanks for the tip. :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 21st, 2019, 10:25 pm

Glad you all found that a helpful tip :D
Hope it works for you!!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Mamta » January 22nd, 2019, 6:58 am

Interesting idea, to keep the yeast in freezer, I will try this. I go through phases when I don't make any bread at all and the yeast goes useless. The last year has been bad for bread making/cooking in general, due to intermittent health issues, hopefully this one will be better :)
Happy 2019 all :luv:
Mamta
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 29th, 2019, 11:05 pm

I had another go at using the old dough as a starter. This time I kept it in a sealed jar in the fridge. It seems to be working! :)

First time around the first use was fine, but the second use went off. This time the second use is fine and some more is back in the jar for a third use!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » January 31st, 2019, 4:23 pm

Made another old dough loaf today, the third one.

Yesterday 1pm, 150g of old dough from freezer, into covered oiled bowl.

7.30pm, added 500gms white bread flour, 325gms tap water, heaped teaspoon of salt and some olive oil. Hand mixed in bowl. Left covered overnight.

Today 7.30, knocked back, did a couple of folds, removed 150gms of dough, straight into freezer. Shaped and placed in loaf tin.

Oven set for bread warming. Left for three and half hours, oven 250C for 40 minutes. Lovely for lunch time sandwiches though only slight hint of sourdough. That suits OH.
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 2nd, 2019, 10:02 am

Just what I wanted Dennis , an idiot guide :tu: :tu: :tu: I keep saying I am going to try this, but never seem to get a round tuit. Today might be the day. This cold weather seems to be calling for some baking ;) :lol: :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 2nd, 2019, 10:24 am

Today will be another loaf using the old dough in the fridge. It will be the third iteration. Hopefully it will all go well.

I have to go out into the cold and buy some white bread flour. I went to Costco to get another 16Kg bag of Marriage's flour, but there was none in stock. :( Costco seem to be missing a few things that I regularly buy, and the fruit section was very sparse. I hope they aren't in trouble, they're my nearest supermarket!!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » February 2nd, 2019, 11:56 am

Our local social media reports empty shelves in the shops after one day of snow :?.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 2nd, 2019, 3:56 pm

Failure of 'Just in time' more probably, lorries not getting through.
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2019, 9:52 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:Just what I wanted Dennis , an idiot guide :tu: :tu: :tu: I keep saying I am going to try this, but never seem to get a round tuit. Today might be the day. This cold weather seems to be calling for some baking ;) :lol: :bounce:

At last ! :tu: :tu: :tu: I had the remains of a WR mixed seed bread mix that I made up to weight with strong white flour (as they were both in the same storage jar) so I set my bread maker to 'dough' and let it do it's 'thing'. After the first prove I removed 150gm from the dough and then proceeded on to make long rolls using my new baking toy, recently found in TKMaXX ;) All now residing in the freezer alongside the dough for next time. Thanks so much Dennis :tu:
Attachments
breadrolls.jpg
AS you can see a great rise .. first in the bread maker, then in a glass bowl, then finally after forming into the rolls .. all at room temperature. Only 5 left as I had to sample one as soon as they have cooled ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 3rd, 2019, 4:18 pm

Those look nice Pat. :)

The third iteration of the dough starter is out of the oven and I have eaten some. It does taste more like sourdough than the last loaf. It hasn't gone off. So, onto the next time! :) I think I put in in the oven a bit early because we needed bread! :o It could have been allowed to rise a bit more, I think.

The only thing I'm finding a problem is the time it takes to prove. The first prove in the bowl in the pantry is no problem done overnight, but then the raise in the tin in the morning can take until late afternoon, which is difficult. Maybe this time of year the second rise should be the overnight one...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » February 3rd, 2019, 4:19 pm

Thank Patsy for your kind words. Glad to be of help.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 4th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Adding to the chat on dried yeast, the sachets are 7g, just right for a loaf but not for some sweet doughs so I buy it loose in those small circular tins. Keep it in the fridge, keeps fine. Sainsbury's sell fresh yeast, which I divide into 10gs, use grease proof paper to make little sachets and keep in freezer. Because of that, sourdoughs, and not eating so much bread recently it must be a year since using the dried yeast. Made a loaf on Friday and it was fine.

For interest I treat fresh yeast the same as dried, just crumble it into the flour, add water and mix.

aero280, overnight prove .... now there's a good idea.
dennispc
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 4th, 2019, 5:11 pm

I've edited my previous post. The first prove was done overnight in the pantry - not the oven!!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » February 6th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Fourth iteration is out, cooled and tasted. It's definitely a sourdough now! :)

I did the first prove overnight again, but the second rise in the tin was very slow, so I boosted it a bit by giving it 40 mins in the oven on around 60 degrees C.

All these loaves have been made with wholemeal flour and the taste is pretty much what you get from a German "Graubrot". I might try a handful of rye in it next time.

As the starter seems to be OK in the fridge, I may do another run with just white flour and see how it goes!! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Kitchen