Apples, pears and the odd quince

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Apples, pears and the odd quince

Postby Ratatouille » October 17th, 2018, 12:21 pm

It's that time of year isn't it? On Monday I made a vat of apple compote using reinette apples, a little water and a good handful of sultanas. When not quite smoothe but cooked I let it cool a bit them add a slug of calvados,

Lovely on it's own, with caramel icecream or as a pancake filling.

Let's have some more easy recipes please.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Apples, pears and the odd quince

Postby Ratatouille » October 18th, 2018, 1:21 pm

I've got quinces growing in abundance and, at this time of year I love to make this dish -
https://www.cooked.com/uk/Sarah-Raven/B ... nce-recipe.

Did you know that the elizabethans used quinces as a room frangrance?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 1:23 pm

I'm just green with envy ... now the farm shop is no more I don't have access to quinces .... there's a tree in the village that's covered with them, but the owners don't seem terribly approachable ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Do they use/pick them all? If not then you could always be cheeky and ask if you could pick some in return for a jar or portion of whatever you make?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 18th, 2018, 2:41 pm

suffolk wrote:I'm just green with envy ... now the farm shop is no more I don't have access to quinces .... there's a tree in the village that's covered with them, but the owners don't seem terribly approachable ...

We had a quince tree in our garden when I was little and I remember the amazing red quince preserve my mother used to make. It was more liquid than jam but still had chunks of quince. I must say it would be amazing to have a quince tree, Suffs and am also deeply envious!

But at least the imported ones should be here soon-ish, shouldn't they? November-ish for a few months?

The pork recipe looks fantastic, Rats, definitely one to try!
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 2:44 pm

I've not seen them on the tree in other years .... I keep my eyes open for signs of life in the house when I go past but I've never seen anyone and it all looks a little uncared for ... very unusual for this area ... no one seems to know them ... I wondered about popping a note through the door, but if they like keeping themselves to themselves I wouldn't want them to feel hassled or that they are 'being observed'. That can unnerve some folk ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 18th, 2018, 4:11 pm

True but think of those lovely quinces..... :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2018, 5:27 pm

I know ........................ :oops: :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 19th, 2018, 10:09 am

Could you look at the electoral roll to find out their names?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 10:48 am

That's an idea ... but a lot of people aren't on the public register ... I'm not .... and even nowadays it seems to involve going to the library in the city ... next time I go I'll have a look if I have the time :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 19th, 2018, 10:53 am

I think everyone is on the viewable register it is the one that is sold to eg mail advertisers that we can choose not to be in.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 11:11 am

Don't think so ... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/en/uksi/2 ... ter/2/made

"... The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.

The register is used for electoral purposes – such as making sure only eligible people can vote – and for other limited purposes specified in law. The personal data in the register must always be processed in line with data-protection legislation.

Who uses the electoral register?

Election staff, political parties, candidates and holders of elected office use the register for electoral purposes.

Your local council and the British Library hold copies that anyone may look at under supervision. A copy is also held by the Electoral Commission, the Boundary Commissions (which set constituency boundaries for most elections) and the Office for National Statistics.

The council can use the register for duties relating to security, enforcing the law and preventing crime. The police and the security services can also use it for law enforcement.

The register is used when calling people for jury service.

Government departments may buy the register from local registration officers and use it to help prevent and detect crime. They can also use it to safeguard national security by checking the background of job applicants and employees.

Credit reference agencies can buy the register. They help other organisations to check the names and addresses of people applying for credit. They also use it to carry out identity checks when trying to prevent and detect money laundering.

It is a criminal offence for anyone to supply or use the register for anything else. ...."

The public can only access the Electoral Register under supervision and it has to be for the purposes above.

As I worked in Child Protection I was advised not to be on the Open Register so that it would be harder for anyone with a grudge to find me.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 19th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Quinces are lovely stewed with prunes
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Amber » October 19th, 2018, 9:59 pm

We haven’t been on on the electoral roll for many, many years. I’m not sure about the current position...I must check :oops: :oops:.

I’ve been making apple cakes for the freezer with my ‘scrumped’ apples. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 1st, 2018, 2:04 pm

I have only seen/used the quinces from Japanese Quince (chaenomeles) ... they look the same, perhaps smaller, but I have made quince jelly and membrillo from them. Should I still be alive to tell the tale ? ;) :o
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2018, 2:15 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have only seen/used the quinces from Japanese Quince (chaenomeles) ... they look the same, perhaps smaller, but I have made quince jelly and membrillo from them. Should I still be alive to tell the tale ? ;) :o

Yes, they're fine to use ... I've cooked with them often :D :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 1st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Phew, that's a relief ;) In my (cooking) innocence, I didn't realise there was 2 kinds of quince. I don't think I have ever seen them on a tree :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 1st, 2018, 2:35 pm

The culinary varieties are better, but if the C. Japonica fruits are available, then it's a shame not to use them. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 1st, 2018, 2:48 pm

I used to use japonica quinces frequently in the UK and I lived to tell the tale!

I made one of my favourite pear desserts last Sunday. Le Poirat from Normandy. Quartered pears in a walnut and cinnamon pastry with a lid on top and a hole in the middle of the lid which is filled when cool enough with thick cream. Sheer heaven!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 1st, 2018, 4:54 pm

Amber wrote:We haven’t been on on the electoral roll for many, many years. I’m not sure about the current position...I must check .

You are legally obliged to be on the complete list of the electoral roll, though not the public version

I have some nice Conference pears, might do something with them, might just munch them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen